Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX volume group lun sizes and no of file systems for optimal performance Post 302498730 by smashingpumpkin on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 09:55:34 AM
Old 02-22-2011
Thanks alot for your reply zxmaus,
very helpful information, much appreciated!

I think we will go ahead as planned in the classical way,
however...
someone has also explained to me the possibility of META-LUNS on this EMC disksystem:

We have 3 RAID6 arrays on the storage system.
Instead of creating 40 1 TB luns,
We could also make 1 huge lun per array,
so we would have 3 huge luns,
and then concatenate these 3 luns together into a META-LUN.
The storage system then stripes over all the disks automatically this way.

This way, one giant disk of 40 TB would be presented to AIX,
and a VG could be created, out of 1 PV.

So all the striping would be handled by the storage system itself and
there is no more parallelism in AIX then.

However,
I have never heard of anybody working like this,
and the thought of having one big 40 TB lun is pretty scary.
Does anybody have any experience with this?

I guess we could also make a combination of both:
We could also make 500 GB luns on the 3 arrays,
and concatenate each time 3 500 GB luns into 1.5 TB meta luns for example,
presenting about 26 1.5 TB disks to AIX in this way.
this way we would be using both parallellism mechanisms:
- on the AIX OS with the VG
- on the storage box with META-LUNs

I'm starting to consider the combination of both mechanisms
as described above.

Any thoughts on this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

volume group space addition after LUN creation

Hi, I was told that 300GB of LUN has been allocated to my server by the SAN group. apart from rootvg i have 2 volume groups(oracle) for which i need to add space as follows: oradbvg 250GB to be added oralvg 50GB what are the steps that i should follow after iam being told that LUN has been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove header from files: optimal performance

I need to concatenate about a thousand files (using a loop) on a UNIX server. Also, each file has a header row which is to be removed. Which of the following would give better performance? tail+2 <filename> or sed '1,1d' <filename> Or is there another, faster way? Thanks, Kaus (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kausmone
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I/O performance in HPUX file systems

Hi guys, what is the relation between I/O performance and file systems. I have a file systems called /dcs/data01 which is having 4Tb size. According our application we can split the file system like dcs/data01 -> 1Tb dcs/data02 -> 1Tb dcs/data03 -> 1Tb dcs/data04 -> 1Tb do you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davinzy
4 Replies

5. AIX

Logical volume name conflict in two volume group

Hello, I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little. On Aix 5.3, I encounter a name conflict logical volume on two volume group. The first volume lvnode01 is OK in rootvg and mounted. It is also consistent in the ODM root # lsvg -l rootvg |grep lvnode01 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
10 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP-UX cómo saber si una LUN esta en un Volume Group

Hola a todos, me gustaría saber cómo chequear si estas LUN´s objecthexuid .........................: 6005-08b4-0001-529c-0005-6000-45d6-0000 objecthexuid .........................: 6005-08b4-0001-529c-0005-6000-45d9-0000 objecthexuid .........................:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aav1307
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Restore of Netapp FC lun targets used as the disks for a zpool with exported zfs file systems

So, We have a Netapp storage solution. We have Sparc T4-4s running with LDOMS and client zones in the LDOMS, We are using FC for storage comms. So here's the basic setup FC luns are exported to the primary on the Sparc box. using LDM they are then exported to the LDOM using vdisk. at the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
fcd_disable_mgmt_lun(5) 					File Formats Manual					   fcd_disable_mgmt_lun(5)

NAME
fcd_disable_mgmt_lun - select whether or not management luns are discovered in the legacy representation of mass storage devices VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Enable discovery of management luns for array devices. Disable discovery of management luns for array devices. Recommended values DESCRIPTION
Management luns provide the means to access the control ports of Fibre Channel disk arrays. They are represented in both the legacy and the agile view of storage devices. The legacy representation of a management lun is typically created under a separate virtual extension bus node. The entry for a legacy management lun looks like this: On a system with a large number of storage devices connected, creation of management luns can result in an insufficient number of virtual extension buses for the legacy representation of data luns. Since the number of extension buses on a system is limited to 256, luns requiring virtual extension buses above 256 will be unusable through legacy device special files. Disabling the discovery and creation of management luns will free up virtual extension buses for use by data luns. The default value for this tunable is Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? System administrators who expect to use a large number of storage devices requiring more than 256 extension buses through legacy device special files. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. However, existing management luns will not be removed. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? This tunable should be turned on when the system runs out of extension buses for configuring the legacy representation of data luns. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? None. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? When the functionality provided by the management lun is desired. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? Existing management luns in the legacy representation will show up in the state. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard Company. SEE ALSO
ioinit(1M), ioscan(1M), kctune(1M). Tunable Kernel Parameters fcd_disable_mgmt_lun(5)