Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Protection and Security
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File Protection and Security Post 302498490 by citaylor on Monday 21st of February 2011 01:28:11 PM
Old 02-21-2011
Most UNIX/Linux have file ACL's these days. If you can tell us what O/S you are using we can advise you on their implementation of file Access Control Lists.

Thx.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Linux

file security/protection

Hi All I am working on a site to help newbie to learn linux for free. demo.freelinuxconsole.info there is only one file index.php its been able to rename or deleted. Kindly let me know what permissions should i give to secure this file from editing or deleting by others. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smithjack
8 Replies
ACL_COPY_ENTRY(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 ACL_COPY_ENTRY(3)

NAME
acl_copy_entry -- copy an ACL entry LIBRARY
Linux Access Control Lists library (libacl, -lacl). SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/acl.h> int acl_copy_entry(acl_entry_t dest_d, acl_entry_t src_d); DESCRIPTION
The acl_copy_entry() function copies the contents of the ACL entry indicated by the src_d descriptor to the existing ACL entry indicated by the dest_d descriptor. The src_d and dest_d descriptors may refer to entries in different ACLs. RETURN VALUE
The acl_copy_entry() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If any of the following conditions occur, the acl_copy_entry() function returns -1 and sets errno to the corresponding value: [EINVAL] The argument src_d or dest_d is not a valid descriptor for an ACL entry. The arguments src_d and dest_d reference the same ACL entry. STANDARDS
IEEE Std 1003.1e draft 17 ("POSIX.1e", abandoned) SEE ALSO
acl_get_entry(3), acl(5) AUTHOR
Derived from the FreeBSD manual pages written by Robert N M Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, and adapted for Linux by Andreas Gruenbacher <a.gruenbacher@computer.org>. Linux ACL March 23, 2002 Linux ACL