Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: return of grep
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users return of grep Post 302498409 by big123456 on Monday 21st of February 2011 08:46:23 AM
Old 02-21-2011
return of grep

Hi,
in a script I will do :
Code:
grep ORA- mylogfile.log

If it returns any ORA- (oracle error) I whant to have :
Code:
echo "subject : RMAN in Error    " >> /appli/rap.txt

But if no error
Code:
echo "subject : RMAN OK    " >> /appli/rap.txt

Can you help me ?

The grep return code would it be different in each case ?

how to detect and use it ?

Thank you ?

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 02-25-2011 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for a line then return lines above

Hey guys, I just want to grep for a line then return a few lines above it I can't seem to find what im looking for on google can someone help me out? This is on Solaris 9..... I don't have GNU grep so -B and -A commands will not work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in the return of grep

hi, i am running this command inside the script var=`grep -il $1 "${logdir}"* | xargs grep -ivl adding | xargs grep -ivl equation | xargs ls -ctr | tail -1` in that grep will find the latest logfile for the variable "$" if it fnd the logfile, then it reutrns the filename to the var if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

modifying grep to return latest files

Hi guys, I currently use the below mwntioned grep statemen to get the timestamp of the last generated file in the directory. (ls -ltr eCustomerCME* | grep ^- | tail -1 | awk ' { print $6,$7,$8 } ') I need to modify this grep to search for files generated only within last 2 hrs. Can you pls... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep return more than one line

Hi, I have a lot of log files which contain lines in the format of (date info) or (info), and when I use grep to search for "date" I was able to get the (date info) line, but some info lines are a separate line after the (date info) line... for example like: (date info info info) (date... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: a27wang
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can grep command return word instead of complete line

Hi Is there any way GREP command can return word and not complete line. My file has following data: Hello Everyone I am NitinrajSrivastava Hi Friends Welcome VrajSrivastava I am using grep 'raj' which is returning me complete line.However I want only the word having keyword 'raj'. Required... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep: Return a user message when no hits

I have ASCII files to parse that 48 hours old or more ; I can identify them like so find . -name "FILE*TXT" -mtime +1 -exec ls -ltas '{}' ';' Some files have a list of hardware errors (we test electronic components), some have none. If the file name has no errors, I still want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep to return lines not containing a character

Hello , this is my first topic cause I need your little help:( I got .txt file, and I want to find lines without letter 'a', so im writing: grep "" list.txt (list.txt is the file of course) and i have no idea why it's not working because it shows lines with a. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbqtoss
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Grep command to return all the lines from one matched pattern to another.

For example a log file looks like below- 13:30:00- abcdefghijklhjghjghjhskj. abcdefghijkl. 14:15:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:30:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:35:00- abcdefghijkl. 123456789. 123456789. 14:45:00- abcdefghijkl. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev_shivv
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to return all the lines between one matched pattern to another.

14:15:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:30:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:35:00- abcdefghijkl. 123456789. 123456789. 14:45:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:50:00- abcdefghijkl. 123456789. 15:30:00-abcdefghijkl. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev_shivv
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)