Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep not accepting variable filename Post 302498262 by cfajohnson on Sunday 20th of February 2011 10:12:42 PM
Old 02-20-2011

What does this print?
Code:
#!/bin/sh
filename=$1
echo "The program that you will be editing is called $filename"
if [ -f "$filename" ]
then
  if [ -r "$filename" ]
  then
     grep "//" "$filename"
  else
     printf "%s is not readable\n" "$filename"
  fi
else
   printf "%s does not exist\n" "$filename"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using grep and print filename

Hi, I have a question on bash. Basically I would like to print a file name using bash. I am actually trying to grep a particular character in sequential files. I have alot files such that a.txt, b.txt,c.txt...etc. If I found a certain character, I would print that particular filename. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting filename as command line param and writing to it

Hi, Is it possible to accept a filename as command line parameter and then write to that file using command redirection? i tried the below script. outputfile=`echo $1` echo "Writing to file" > 'echo $outputfile' exit $returncode but it isnt working. is there any other way to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: silas.john
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv Filename variable to another filename

Anyone who can assist : I am trying to pass the group vairiable to a filename: rpt_tsavegrp=/export/legato/scripts/$group_savegrp_rpt.$dat It will not pass to variable. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong here. Thanks # This script sends email that save group completed.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gzs553
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable used as filename

Hello, i'm fairly new to scripting, so please bear with me (I did try looking this up first, i figured it had to have been asked already). #!/bin/bash fileName=`date | sed -n 's/ /_/g p' | sed -n 's/^/Backup_/p' | sed -n 's/$/\.tar/p'`; #THIS SETS BACKUP_DATE echo $fileName #TEST OF VALUE ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting multiple values in a variable at run time

Hi, Below is starting entry of my script #!/bin/ksh Usage() { print "Usage: $0 ID OPTION SERVER" print "<br>Where :" print "<br>Enter your ID into PARAM1, OPTION in the PARAM2 and SERVER in the PARAM3 field" print "<br>ID should be a valid ID" print "<br>OPTION should be either... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopajitmalakar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff between grep .* file name and grep '.*' filename

Hi, Can anyone let me know what is difference between grep .* foo.c grep '.*' foo.c I am not able to understand what is exact difference. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex for filename in grep

I want to print the filename keyword="XXTNL_AVSKRIV2ING" ftype="sql' I wan to search the keyword in all the sql files and the output shoul dbe filename:count grep -iwc "$keyword" *.$ftype | grep -v ":0$" But the output does not dispaly the filename which contains space as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not accepting variable in shell script

I am using a shell script in fedora linux. While calling to the shell I am also passing an argument (var1=0.77) like shown below sh gossip.sh var1=0.77 in the shell following command is written (which doesn't work) sed - i -e 's@prob=@prob="$var1";//@g' file.txt Actually i want the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fakhar Hassan
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usage of grep '^$1' filename

There is a file name list_filenames.dat, this has all the list of all files I need to encrypt, I did not understand what the following syntax is doing: grep -s "^$1" list_filenames.dat, when I manually run this command it just returns all the lines, what is the usage of this ? can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: okkadu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep for a string on a FILENAME?

I call my bash shell script "test.sh" and pass "admin_usr.txt" as an argument like below. ./test.sh admin_usr.txt Inside the "test.sh" i wish to check if the filename passed "admin_usr.txt" i.e "$1" contains the string "admin" or not ... which in this case it does. Note: I do not wish to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
GPIV_PIV2HDF(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   GPIV_PIV2HDF(1)

NAME
gpiv_piv2hdf - Converts PIV-data HDF5 format. SYNOPSIS
gpiv_piv2hdf [-e] [-h | --help] [-p | --print] [-v | --version] [-V | --verbose] filename DESCRIPTION
gpiv_piv2hdf converts ASCII-formattd PIV-data (filename.piv), derived data, like vorticities (filename.vor), strain (filename.sstr, file- name.nstr) and, eventually, raw data images (filename.r), to a HDF5 formatted file filename.hdf. The parameters that have been used for the analysis and post processing are included in filename.hdf. This program does not use the parameter resources from libgpiv. The parameters may be defined by the command line options as explained below. Options -e Exclude PIV data and data from post-processes. -h | --help On-line help. -i Includes image data. -p | --print Prints parameters, command line options and input and output filenames to stdout. The output may be used as parameters of fasty for future use by re-directing stdout to fasty.par. -v | --version Print version information on standard output, then exits successfully. -V | --verbose Program behaves more verbose by printing messages to stdout. filename Input PIV data filename, including .piv extension. SEE ALSO
gpivtools AUTHOR
Gerber Van der Graaf 10 November 2006 GPIV_PIV2HDF(1)