Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting korn shell script executed with error Post 302498068 by beooi on Saturday 19th of February 2011 02:24:02 AM
Old 02-19-2011
korn shell script executed with error

Hi, need help, I would like to know what is this IF statement trying to do? When the script is executing and error out with line 9 which is the IF statement line.
Code:

if [[ ${0%/*} == $0 ]]
then
        TOPDIR=$(pwd)
else
        TOPDIR=${0%/*}
fi
TOPDIR=${TOPDIR%/*}

the log file.
Code:
Current system time is 18-FEB-2011 00:54:16

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+

/mnt/oktnfs1/src101/11itest/u33/applmgr/ww_seagate11i/bin/seaoe_send_mail.prog: line 9: syntax error in conditional expression
/mnt/oktnfs1/src101/11itest/u33/applmgr/ww_seagate11i/bin/seaoe_send_mail.prog: line 9: syntax error near `]]
'
/mnt/oktnfs1/src101/11itest/u33/applmgr/ww_seagate11i/bin/seaoe_send_mail.prog: line 9: `if [[ ${0%/*} == $0 ]]
'
/mnt/oktnfs1/src101/11itest/u33/applmgr/ww_seagate11i/bin/seaoe_send_mail
Program exited with status 2

This is the first time I am working on shell scripting. Could you also advise me how to pick up the shell scripting by self learning? I have no idea on how to create a new script.Smilie

Regards,
Bee ean

Last edited by fpmurphy; 02-19-2011 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: code tags go around code - not everything!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script doesn't get executed using crontab

I have the following crontab entry to run a shell script for every 30 minutes of every day: 30 * * * * $HOME/main.sh > $HOME/main.log 2>$HOME/error.log after I created the crontab file I have also done: $crontab my_crontab I also check to make sure it exists, by using the following... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
11 Replies

2. AIX

Help - Need simple example of VI executed in shell script

Please help - I have seen others ask this question but I need a simple example of using vi in a shell script. Once I enter VI the shell script does not execute the next commands until I q!. I invoke VI and start the edit process. I want to go to the third line and replace a character with a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: corsart
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Script to find out error in logfile

Hi All, I am new to this forum as well as to unix scripting. Can you please help me to create a korn shell script to find out errors in logfiles and get the name of that logfile ( which is having error) in email and email it to me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jithu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with shell script executed by php.

I made a shell script to execute a server in screen mode. # start server screen -d -m -S Test ./application echo "Program Started Successfully" than I'm executing it from php by echo shell_exec('/home/script.sh'); and it is giving me this error. "cannot make directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dmallia
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script executed from Informatica ETL tool is spawning 2 processes for one script

Hi, I am having a shell script which has a while loop as shown below. while do sleep 60 done I am executing this script from Informatica ETL tool command task from where we can execute UNIX commands/scripts. When i do that, i am seeing 2 processes getting started for one script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chekusi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not getting executed

Hi As per my requirement when I run . ./file.sh am getting the following error -bash:ELF: command not found when i execute as ./file.sh it is getting executed.How to resolve this. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple shell scripts executed in one script

Hi every one, i am new to shell script. my people given a task to write a shell script that should execute number of shell scripts in that. in that, if any shell script is failed to execute, we have to run the main script again, but the script should start execute from the failed script only.. it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple shell scripts executed in one script

Hi every one, i am new to shell script. my people given a task to write a shell script that should execute number of shell scripts in that. in that, if any shell script is failed to execute, we have to run the main script again, but the script should start execute from the failed script only.. it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command not getting executed in shell script

I am able to execute awk command from shell prompt. but the same command is not getting executed when written and run in a bash script the command from bash cmd prompt. awk '/world/{for (i=2; i<NF; i++) printf $i " "; print $NF}1' myfile >tmp$$ ; mv tmp$$ myfile file: # hello world my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture run time of python script executed inside shell script

I have bash shell script which is internally calling python script.I would like to know how long python is taking to execute.I am not allowed to do changes in python script.Please note i need to know execution time of python script which is getting executed inside shell .I need to store execution... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adfire
2 Replies
chroot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 chroot(8)

NAME
chroot - Changes the root directory of a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot directory command DESCRIPTION
Only root can use the chroot command. The chroot command changes the root directory from / to the specified directory when the command executes. (The command specified includes both the command name as well as any arguments.) Consequently, the root of any path (as indicated by the first / (slash) in the pathname) changes to directory and is always relative to the current root. Even if the chroot command is in effect, directory is relative to the current root of the running process. Several programs may not operate properly after chroot executes. You must ensure that all vital files are present in the new root file system and the relevant pathnames for the files map correctly in the new root file system. For example, the ls -l command fails to give user and group names if the new root file system does not have a copy of the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. If the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files in the new root file system represent different user and group names, then the output from the ls -l command will be based on those names, not the ones for the system's own name database. Utilities that depend on description files produced by the ctab command may also fail if the required description files are not present in the new root file system. The chroot program uses the execv() function to invoke the specified command. As a consequence, the command specified must be an exe- cutable binary, not a shell script. Further, if the program requires indirect loading (for example, due to unresolved symbols requiring use of a shared library), then /sbin/loader as well as any files it requires (for example, shared libraries) must be present in the new root file system in the appropriate locations. EXAMPLES
To run a subshell with another file system as the root, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /sbin/sh The command shown in the previous example spec- ifies a change from the current root file system to the one mounted on /mnt/dsk13a while /sbin/sh (which itself is relative to the new root file system) executes. When /bin/sh executes, the original root file system is inaccessible. The file system mounted on /mnt/dsk13a must contain the standard directories of a root file system. In particular, the shell looks for commands in /sbin, /bin, and /usr/bin (among others) on the new root file system. Running the /sbin/sh command creates a subshell that runs as a separate process from the original shell. Press to exit the subshell and return to the original shell. This restores the environment of the original shell, including the meanings of the current directory (.) and the root directory (/). To run a command in another root file system and save the output on the initial root file system, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /bin/cc -E /u/bob/prog.c > prep.out The previous command runs the /bin/cc command with /mnt/dsk13a as the specified root file system. It compiles the /mnt/dsk13a/u/bob/prog.c file, reads the #include files from the /mnt/dsk13a/usr/include directory, and puts the compiled text in the prep.out file on the initial root file system. To create a file relative to the original root rather than the new one, use this syntax and enter: chroot directory command > file CAUTIONS
If special files in the new root have different major and minor device numbers than the initial root directory, it is possible to overwrite the file system. FILES
Specifies the command path. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cc(1), cpp(1), ls(1), sh(1) Functions: chdir(2), chroot(2) exec(2) delim off chroot(8)