Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Really strange unix message
Operating Systems AIX Really strange unix message Post 302497476 by methyl on Thursday 17th of February 2011 10:18:56 AM
Old 02-17-2011
Big guess.
This looks like the sort of issue you can get with 32-bit arithmetic in a shell script.
i.e. trying to work with numbers above 2,147,483,647 which in disc space terms would be 2 Gb.
I'd look for a disc space monitoring script running from cron.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

there was a strange character(^M) been added automatically in UNIX

I used Notepad to compile my txt file and then I transferred this file to UNIX. When I use vi to open the file, I found that at the end of each line there was a "^M" character. In the original txt file there was not this character. Why this character would been added automatically in UNIX? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jasmine
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange "Unable to load interpreter" message!

Hi all, I run RedHat. Not a long ago it has started to give me message on the screen "Unable to load an interpreter". Just plain message. I checked log files. I havent found anything strange in there. Any suggestions what it might mean and how to get rid of it? Thank you all. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solvman
6 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP Unix MC Message Guard

Can somebody please give me a description of MC Service Guard running on HP Unix? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czinzi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ed strange error message

When I start ed as regular user, following message is displayed: $ed ERROR: tempnam failed: Permission denied $ I think, following error produced in vi when search results from previous error: No previous regular expression Setting TMPDIR variable cause no effect. As root all works... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenki
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

very strange behaviour on unix server

Hi guys, im encountering some very strange behaviour (intermittently) when visiting my domain. We have a dedicated unix server hosting a number of sites with the problem currently reported on one site. I go to mydomain.com, and am directed to http://www.mydomain.com/?fnf=1 Classified ads... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bolo77
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange error message with regex test...

Hi all, I have a script where i need to check the format of a string. finally, i'm waiting a "process name" and 2 numbers separated by a "," string like : "this_is_a_string.txt,1,10 should be ok" string ok : "apache.exe,1,10" string ok : "mysqld,50,0" string not ok : "ap ache,1,10"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fgilain
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Error Message in unix

Hi all......I'm sorry if my english is not that good. Can somebody help me to about this error. I found it in message.log Jan 16 18:22:42 ASM imapd: get_balanced_partition: -- chosen Jan 16 18:22:50 ASM SUNW,UltraSPARC-III+: NOTICE: Corrected system bus (CE) Event detected by CPU1 at TL=0,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: komang
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a strange message when executing the sort command

Dear all, when I issue the command: gunzip -c file.gz |sort the command is executed normally and correctly but a message keeps appearing everytime I run the command: the message: sort: missing NEWLINE added at end of input file STDIN Does anyone know what is the meaning of this message?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marwan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am getting strange message when run borne shell script

I have a code: if then#{ process daily files for file in *_${Today}*.csv *_${Today}*.txt do if || then echo "This file will be processed in separate script" continue fi if ;then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies
msgtql(5)							File Formats Manual							 msgtql(5)

NAME
msgtql - maximum number of System V IPC messages in the system at any time VALUES
Default Failsafe Allowed values Recommended values The largest number of messages expected. DESCRIPTION
The tunable specifies the maximum total system-wide individual messages across all message queues. Every message has a header to specify message type and location and the total number of headers is limited by Note that if a system call attempts to exceed the limit imposed by it will block until message space becomes available or return if is set. Other kernel tunables may limit the maximum number of messages supported. Limiting factors can be the maximum number of bytes in a queue, and the maximum allowable total combined size, in bytes, in the system. For more information about System V message queues, refer to the section of the mesg(5) manpage. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing This tunable is dynamic. Changes to to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Raise this tunable if applications block too frequently in requiring more total messages be held in the kernel message queues. What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? Raising this value increases the possible number of messages which may be queued at any point in time. This can result in msgsnd(2) having to block less frequently. Since message queue headers are stored in kernel memory, that memory is unavailable for use by other system ser- vices. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? Lower this tunable when applications no longer require as many total messages. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Lowering the value increases the risk of application failure due to the inability to send more messages. Lowering the tunable has no effect on any queued messages, even if the new tunable value is less than the number of queued messages. However, no new messages may be queued until the number of messages falls below the setting of What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? All the System V message queue tunables are interrelated and should be treated as independent variables. The set must be evaluated as a system to ensure the tunables reflect the application requirements. The message tunables include and Specifically, the and tunables may need to be adjusted along with the tunable. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. System resource limits (such as, memory) may limit the number and/or total size of queued messages. These system limits may be encountered before the limit values of the msgtql and msgmbs tunables. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by AT&T. SEE ALSO
msgsnd(2), mesg(5), msgmnb(5), msgmni(5), msgmbs(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters msgtql(5)