Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parse out specific lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parse out specific lines Post 302497245 by PointyWombat on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 04:30:17 PM
Old 02-16-2011
Parse out specific lines

Hello,

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to extract only certain lines of a file. For example, the file contains:

Code:
project.max-sem-ids
        privileged      1.02K       -   deny                                 -
        system          16.8M     max   deny                                 -
project.max-crypto-memory
        privileged      47.1GB      -   deny                                 -
        system          16.0EB    max   deny                                 -
project.max-tasks
        system          2.15G     max   deny                                 -
project.max-lwps
        system          2.15G     max   deny                                 -
project.cpu-cap
        system          4.29G     inf   deny                                 -
project.cpu-shares
        privileged          1       -   none                                 -
        system          65.5K     max   none                                 -
zone.max-swap
zone.max-locked-memory
zone.max-shm-memory
zone.max-shm-ids
zone.max-sem-ids

and say I only want to see the values for project.max-crypto-memory and project.max-lwps for example. How would I get the 1 or 2 lines which follow which are relevant to that value?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

PW

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i parse by specific column?

I have a log file with 13 columns. The 12th column contains the status code (example 200, 404, 500, 403, etc.) I want to remove all 200 status lines. so... 1. remove all the lines in which the 12th column has a 200. 2. display only the lines in which the 12th column shows a 500. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmaq7621
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to parse the specific data from the file

Hi, I need to parse this data FastEthernet0/9,|FastEthernet0/10,|FastEthernet0/11,FastEthernet0/13|, FastEthernet0/12,FastEthernet0/24 . and get only the value like e.g 0/24,0/11. how to do this in shell script. Thanks in Advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuthuAlagappan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitute a string on a specific position for specific lines

I woud like to substitue a string on a specific position for specific lines I've got a file and I would like to change a specific string from "TOCHANGE" to "ABCABCAB" For every line (except 1,2, 3 and the last one) , I need to check between the 9th and the 16th digits. For the 3rd line, I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BSF
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse a String for a Specific Word

Hello, I'm almost there with scripting, and I've looked at a few examples that could help me out here. But I'm still at a lost where to start. I'm looking to parse each line in the log file below and save the output like below. Log File AABBCGCAT022|242|3 AABBCGCAT023|243|4... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Specific lines when found specific character

Hello all, I have thousand file input like this: file1: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ UERT | TTYH | TAFE | FRFG |$$ $$______|______|________|______|$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ 1 | DISK | TR1311 | 1 |$$ $$ 1 |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse and display specific columns

Hi.. I am in help of displaying this specific case. I have multiple files where i have to display accordingly. Input file ##INFO1 ##INFO2 ##INFO3 #CHROM POS INFO 57.sorted.bam 58.sorted.bam 59.sorted.bam 34.sorted.bam 55.sorted.bam... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick UNIX command to display specific lines in the middle of a file from/to specific word

This could be a really dummy question. I have a log text file. What unix command to extract line from specific string to another specific string. Is it something similar to?: more +/"string" file_name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aku
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse text file using specific tags

awk -F "" '/<href=>|<href=>|<top>|<top>/ {print $3, OFS=\t}' source.txt > output.txt I'm not quite sure how to parse the attached file, but what I am trying to do is in a output file have the link (href=), name (after the <), and count (<top>) in 3 separate columns. My attempt is the above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse file for fields and specific text

I have a file of ~500,000 entries in the following: file.txt chr1 11868 12227 ENSG00000223972.5 . + HAVANA exon . gene_id "ENSG00000223972.5"; transcript_id "ENST00000456328.2"; gene_type "transcribed_unprocessed_pseudogene"; gene_status "KNOWN"; gene_name "DDX11L1"; transcript_type... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace specific positions of specific lines

Hi, I have a file with hundreds of lines. I want to search for particular lines starting with 4000, search and replace the 137-139 position characters; which will be '000', with '036'. Can all of this be done without opening a temp file and then moving that temp file to the original file name. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
7 Replies
fmt(1)								   User Commands							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - simple text formatters SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cs] [-w width | -width] [inputfile...] DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the -w width option. The default width is 72. fmt concatenates the inputfiles listed as arguments. If none are given, fmt formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. fmt does not fill nor split lines beginning with a `.' (dot), for compatibility with nroff(1). Nor does it fill or split a set of contiguous non-blank lines which is determined to be a mail header, the first line of which must begin with "From". Indentation is preserved in the output, and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless -c is used). fmt can also be used as an in-line text filter for vi(1). The vi command: !}fmt reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. OPTIONS
-c Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph, and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. -s Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such formatted text, from being unduly combined. -w width | -width Fill output lines to up to width columns. OPERANDS
inputfile Input file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of fmt. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The -width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SunOS 5.10 9 May 1997 fmt(1)