Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Some doubts about resizing fs's in HP-UX Post 302496219 by asanchez on Saturday 12th of February 2011 08:43:56 PM
Old 02-12-2011
First of all, thank you for your reply.

But there are some things I don't understand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
First find out what Operating System version you have:
Code:
uname -a

The package concerned is known as "Online JFS".
JFS=Journal Filesystem
What's the relation between the HP-UX version and onlinejfs? Why do I need the version of the OS in order to know if the system is able to resize online?

Quote:
The presence of a package does not mean that you are using it.
I know it, but my question was: how can I be sure my system is able to resize online: by swlist -v | grep -i jfsonline OR vxlicrep and see if HP_OnlineJFS = Enabled? And what happens if i.e. I have the packet installed but I don't have the license, am I able then? and viceversa?

My other question was if vxfs is the only fs type on hp-ux capable of being resized online.

Quote:
This should give you an idea what's installed and what's running:

Code:
swlist -v | egrep -i "lvm|veritas|jfs"
ps -ef|egrep -i "lvm|vx"|grep -v "grep"
If the "ps" only mentions "vx" not "lvm" there is a fair chance that you have pure Veritas ... or vice versa. Take advice from your support agency before deciding.
So if I execute the ps and grep shows only vx then ALL my filesystems have the underlying vm VxVM OR is it possible to have a system that i.e has some filesystems with LVM under and other filesystems with VxVM underlying. In that case, how do I know if a fs is using one or the other?

Quote:
"lvextend" is an LVM command.
XXX is the new size of the Logical Volume (comparable to a disc partition) in Megabytes (i.e. not the filesystem).
Ok but the size is interpred in powers of 2 or powers of 10? I mean, if i want to put 1 Gigabyte, X=1024 or X=1000?

And finally,

LVM: what's better to use, lvextend (extends lvol) + fsadm (resizes fs) OR lvextend + extendfs_vxfs?

VxVM: Is it the same commands? lvextend + one of {fsadm_vxfs, extendfs_vxfs}?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

filesystems resizing

I want to resize my filesystem partitions. Reason is that I have 11GB of disk space unused by Unix which divvy reveals. Is there a way I could resize my filesystems without doing a reinstallation. The secondary problem is that the boot image is too large for a diskette (5MB). I'm running SCO... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshokunbi
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resizing slices

I downloaded the Solaris recommended patched for x86 and tried to install it, but I got the message that I dont have enough disk space. I don't want to install the patches without the option to back out. Anyway I did a df -k and found that my root mount point is in 948MB whereas my /export/home is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resizing file

is there anything such as "resizing file for optimal disk usage" if so, whats it about? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

4. AIX

Resizing VG with mirror

Dear Friends, I would like to know if there is any chance to expand a Volume Group, If this VG have a mirror. If there is any chance to do this what would be the safer way to avoid lost any data. Sorry about my English.:D Thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrispaz
1 Replies

5. Linux

Dymamic resizing of a window

I want to run a script that changes the size of the window from which it's been started. Turns out that if I start up a putty windowo to a remove linux box, I can simply issue the command 'resize -s row col' and it will in fact do the resize. If I'm physically running on the local linux system's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MarkSeger
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help with resizing partitions

Hi First post :o I have recently used Acronis (Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis) to create identical systems that I need to build. Everything works OK, but one of the machine has a bigger harddisk (250G) than the one I used to create the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forte712
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Parition Resizing

Is there a way to take space from the /opt slice (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5) and then put it in the /var (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1)? In theory, I should be able to ufsdump /opt and /var to another drive. Use disk label to resize those two slices (ex. take 10G from opt and add to /var) and then newfs and dump back... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adelsin
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Resizing the Root Filesystem

Is it possible to increase the root filesystem size without reboot ?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Resizing a disk

I'm used to using AIX but a new box running Solaris I need a little help with. The disk are presented from a SAN, the disk needing to change is presented as 148GBs drive which was allocated to a file system as the same. I need to change that without losing any data. I know I can change the disk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltlawnman
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to go about resizing the virtual disk?

Hi guys , We are running machines in virtual environment. As a part of virtual solution we have a disk created in form of files on host machine. The problem is we are facing space crunch and need to re size the harddisk files of virtual machines. There a catch the virtual machines are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
0 Replies