Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Ignored signals & blocking system calls Post 302496092 by hurricane on Saturday 12th of February 2011 06:03:22 AM
Old 02-12-2011
Thank you for the reply!

But if so, then I've another question: does it make sense to block a signal, if the arrival of this signal aborts the system call anyway?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Identification of data calls & voice calls

Is there any facility to filter/identify the data calls and voice calls coming throug modem? OR Can we get the data or voice calls information through a script(preferably C Kermit)? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
0 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

7. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Blocking signals

I know how to add signal to a set. But what if I want to add 2 or 3 signals to the set. I know I can use sigaddset (&set,SIGBUS)....but what if I want to add SIGBUS and SIGALRM at once. Do i have to do it like this.. sigaddset (&set,SIGBUS); sigaddset (&set,SIGALRM); Is there another way to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Handling Signals in System Calls

What will happen if signal comes while a system call is being executed? How it will be handled? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies
sigstack(2)							System Calls Manual						       sigstack(2)

Name
       sigstack - set or get signal stack context

Syntax
       #include <signal.h>

struct sigstack {
       caddr_t	 ss_sp;
       int  ss_onstack;
       };

sigstack(ss, oss)
       struct sigstack *ss, *oss;

Description
       The  system  call  allows users to define an alternate stack on which signals are to be processed.  If ss is nonzero, it specifies a signal
       stack on which to deliver signals and tells the system if the process is currently executing on that stack.  When a signal's  action  indi-
       cates  its handler should execute on the signal stack (specified with a call), the system checks to see if the process is currently execut-
       ing on that stack.  If the process is not currently executing on the signal stack, the system arranges a switch to the signal stack for the
       duration of the signal handler's execution.  If oss is nonzero, the current signal stack state is returned.

Signal stacks are not grown'automatically, as is done for the normal stack.  If the stack overflows, unpredictable results may occur.

Return Values
       Upon successful completion, a value of zero (0) is returned.  Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error.

Diagnostics
       The system call fails and the signal stack context remains unchanged, if one of the following occurs.

[EFAULT]       Either ss or oss points to memory that is not a valid part of the process address space.

See Also
       sigvec(2), setjmp(3)

sigstack(2)