Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replace line via perl script of file Post 302495950 by Tarun24 on Friday 11th of February 2011 04:15:19 PM
Old 02-11-2011
Replace line via perl script of file

Hi All,
I wanted to do following.
1) If file exit then open file for reading and check if my string is there then
i wanted to replace the entire line with that string + something else
then close the file.
2) If file does not exit then i need to open the file and write to it.

I am done with part two but for the first part i can search the string but cannot replace the line...Here is my code. Please help me.
Code:
use constant MYFILEINFO  => "read.my.file.version";

if ( -e "tarun.info" )
{
       open DEFAULT_PROPERTY, "< tarun.info"
             or die "Error: Failed opening file for writing. $!\n";

while (my $line = <DEFAULT_PROPERTY>)
    {
        if ($line =~ /^@{[MYFILEINFO]}/)
        {
           # Need code here to replace the line 
            push(@property_content, $line);
            close DEFAULT_PROPERTY or die "Error: Failed closing . $!\n";
            exit();
        }
   }
}

### Here i can open file to append and write my sfutt
## For which my code already works...

Last edited by Scott; 02-11-2011 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to replace a line in a file using shell script

I have a property file in which the DB name is specified and when i run my servers they will point to the DB specified in that property file. Now i'm gonna write a script which will start all the services. But before that i just want to dynamically change the DB name in that property file by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_sakthi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading each line of a file in perl script

HI I need to read each line (test.txt) and store it in a array (@test) How to do it in perl. Suppose i have a file test.txt. I have to read each line of the test.txt file and store it in a array @test. How to do it in perl. Regards Harikrishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to add a line into a file

hi all need a perl script to add a line into a file thanks with anticipation (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a line in a file using perl script?

Hi all, I want to search for a line in a file using perl script and add a line above that line.Can any one suggest me command or code to that using script. Thanks BHarath (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathece
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script, replace file with newer file

Hello, Can you please help me one this: I have two servers: Server A and server B. Every day on 03.00AM in only one on these two servers (randomly)is generated one file, lets say file.txt. I want to copy this file also to the other server. I want to create a perl script that does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to replace the text in the original file

Hi Folks, I have an html file which contains the below line in the body tagI am trying the replace hello with Hello Giridhar programatically. <body> <P><STRONG><FONT face="comic sans ms,cursive,sans-serif"><EM>Hello</EM></FONT></STRONG></P> </body> I have written the below code to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - Replace just part of a single line in a file.....

Hey guy's.... I new here, But im working on a school project, and I am not really good at programming. In fact, this is the only programming class that I need because programming is not what I am majoring in. But I have everything done in this shell script except for this last part..... ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxdrummerxc
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to find line in one file and replace in another

Hey Guys, im looking for a script that will work under OSX. What i want to do is copy information from one file (Specific LIne) and write it to a certain line in another. To be more specific... I want the hostname of a mac to be gathered ( i assume its stored in a .plist file somewhere) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: padgo
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search and replace a line in perl

Hi All, i can replace a perticular value in sentence using perl. perl -pi -e 's/old/new/' sample.txt but i am not able to replace whole string by perl. file1 contains "jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.147.109.211)(PORT=1526))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID= MWDBD22)))". i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies
strip_stx(1)						      General Commands Manual						      strip_stx(1)

NAME
strip_stx - a simple literate programming tool SYNOPSIS
strip_stx [ -c commentchars ] [ -B open close ] [ file file ... ] DESCRIPTION
strip_stx takes all structured text (Stx) markup away from the listed files, leaving only text in preformatted blocks. If no files are listed, standard input is read instead. The result is written to standard output. This is intended as a simple literate programming tool: programmers may write their programs as documents, processing them with stx2any for documentation and publication but with strip_stx for compilation / running the code. More information about Stx is on the manpage of stx2any. OPTIONS
-c commentchars comment out the non-code portions (text outside preformatted blocks) with the given commentchars at the beginning of every line. If this option (or the next one) is not given, non-code portions are simply deleted. -B open close surround the non-code portions with (comment-)opening and closing markers open and close respectively. This option can be used together with the -c option. --version, -V Just show version information and exit. --help, -? Just show a short help message and exit. EXAMPLES
strip_stx parse.py.stx > parse.py Strip documentation away from the source file parse.py.stx, supposedly only leaving python code there. strip_stx -B '/*' ' */' -c ' * ' my.c.stx > my.c Make a literate C code document into proper C source file, leaving the documentation in neatly-formatted comments. strip_stx -B 'cat < < EOT' 'EOT' embshell.stx > embshell.sh Turn the document embshell.stx into an "embedded shell" script, where all non-program portions are printed to the standard output when exe- cution reaches them. This is akin to PHP or eperl; but strip_stx is not really meant for this. There are other options for making embed- ded scripts, such as defining your own markup for the code portions or handling the program logic with m4 within stx2any. SEE ALSO
stx2any (1) AUTHOR
This page is written by Panu A. Kalliokoski. Panu A. Kalliokoski strip_stx(1)