Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Script to automatically map samba shares as network drive Post 302495916 by stringman on Friday 11th of February 2011 03:01:00 PM
Old 02-11-2011
barrydocks,

The only way I know is to go to Local Security policy --> User Rights Assignment and set "Change System Time" to Administrators only. I have to leave now tp ick up my daughter, but I'm sure the registery setting for this can be found online.

Ken

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Map Network Drive...

Hallo...Hi, Anyone can help me???How can I map network drive from Windows if i'm using the Sun Solaris 8 server? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrboomber
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to enumerate samba shares with client

I have a samba server node and I want to mount the samba (CIFS) shares from a second (client) unix machine. However, the unix mount command requires I specify the name of the share. What if I don't know the name of the share? How can I enumerate all the shares from the samba client machine? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Map Drive From Windows To Apache Shared Drive?

Anyone know how I can map a windows drive to an apache shared drive? In my httpd.conf file, I have: Alias /merc_rpts/ "/u/merc_rpts/" <Directory "/u/merc_rpts"> Options Indexes </Directory> I'm able to bring up a browser and see the contents of this folder. In... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction of samba shares with sed

Hi there, My samba configuration file looks like that : ... ... path = /home/samba/profiles/ ... path = /home/samba/shares/family valid users = family path = /home/samba/shares/admins valid users = admins path = /home/samba/shares/publicI want to extract the list of standard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

5. Linux

Auto map network drive using SAMBA with batch file

Hi everyone. I have several shares (see smb.conf below). Each setup fairly similarly, and several groups. My end goals are: 1) to have the share automatically map as the P: drive to members of the employees group 2) to have the share automatically map as the t: drive to members of the tech... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unassassinable
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba - Creating shares

So I have Samba installed on my server and I have to create two shares. Make a backup of your smb.conf - call it smb.conf.orig. Create a share called shared that allows read and write permissions for everyone and points to /media/shared. Create another share called www that points to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shadowcat
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help mounting Samba shares

I have these two shares on my Ubuntu Server: path = /media/share read only = no guest ok = yes path = /var/www read only = noI want to mount them to the directories that I created on my Desktop called "shared" and "www" how do I do this? I ran the command: smbclient -L... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shadowcat
1 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Copy numerous private Samba-shares as one user. (Syntax question)

Hello Forum, I was overwhelmed by how fast and correct the responses to my first question in this forum was, and I hope I expreience this again today. The reason is that I have to copy a fileserver (Ubuntu 8.04 32 with Samba) to another server via Internet within tomorrow. I have no problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: primaxx
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Map network drive

Hi I need to restore an oracle backup from production in a test x86 Solaris 10 box . But the space is limited and does not have enough to hold both the backup as well as database . Hence , I am thinking of mapping a network drive from another x86 Solaris 10. Pls let me know if it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with accessing Samba shares on external (NON-DOMAIN) webserver(s)

Hi all, You may have seen my recent topic, where I asked for help getting some samba shares to work on our network. Now that these are working, I move on to the next hurdle! We have a few externally hosted (Windows Server 2008 R2) web servers which are not on our domain, but can still... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgreen81
0 Replies
SMBTAR(1)							   User Commands							 SMBTAR(1)

NAME
smbtar - shell script for backing up SMB/CIFS shares directly to UNIX tape drives SYNOPSIS
smbtar [-r] [-i] [-a] [-v] {-s server} [-p password] [-x services] [-X] [-N filename] [-b blocksize] [-d directory] [-l loglevel] [-u user] [-t tape] {filenames} DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1) which dumps SMB shares directly to tape. OPTIONS
-s server The SMB/CIFS server that the share resides upon. -x service The share name on the server to connect to. The default is "backup". -X Exclude mode. Exclude filenames... from tar create or restore. -d directory Change to initial directory before restoring / backing up files. -v Verbose mode. -p password The password to use to access a share. Default: none -u user The user id to connect as. Default: UNIX login name. -a Reset DOS archive bit mode to indicate file has been archived. -t tape Tape device. May be regular file or tape device. Default: $TAPE environmental variable; if not set, a file called tar.out . -b blocksize Blocking factor. Defaults to 20. See tar(1) for a fuller explanation. -N filename Backup only files newer than filename. Could be used (for example) on a log file to implement incremental backups. -i Incremental mode; tar files are only backed up if they have the archive bit set. The archive bit is reset after each file is read. -r Restore. Files are restored to the share from the tar file. -l log level Log (debug) level. Corresponds to the -d flag of smbclient(1). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The $TAPE variable specifies the default tape device to write to. May be overridden with the -t option. BUGS
The smbtar script has different options from ordinary tar and from smbclient's tar command. CAVEATS
Sites that are more careful about security may not like the way the script handles PC passwords. Backup and restore work on entire shares; should work on file lists. smbtar works best with GNU tar and may not work well with other versions. DIAGNOSTICS
See the DIAGNOSTICS section for the smbclient(1) command. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.0 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(1M), smbclient(1), smb.conf(4). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Ricky Poulten wrote the tar extension and this man page. The smbtar script was heavily rewritten and improved by Martin Kraemer. Many thanks to everyone who suggested extensions, improvements, bug fixes, etc. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+----------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+----------------------+ |Availability | SUNWsmbar, SUNWsmbau | +--------------------+----------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+----------------------+ NOTES
Source for Samba is available on http://opensolaris.org. Samba(7) delivers the set of four SMF(5) services as can be seen from the following example: $ svcs samba wins winbind swat STATE STIME FMRI disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/samba:default disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/winbind:default disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/wins:default disabled Apr_21 svc:/network/swat:default where the services are: "samba" runs the smbd daemon managing the CIFS sessions "wins" runs the nmbd daemon enabling the browsing (WINS) "winbind" runs the winbindd daemon making the domain idmap "swat" Samba Web Administration Tool is a service providing access to browser-based Samba administration interface and on-line documentation. The service runs on software loopback network interface on port 901/tcp, i.e. opening "http://localhost:901/" in browser will access the SWAT service on local machine. Please note: SWAT uses HTTP Basic Authentication scheme where user name and passwords are sent over the network in clear text. In the SWAT case the user name is root. Transferring such sensitive data is advisable only on the software loopback network interface or over secure networks. Samba 3.0 01/19/2009 SMBTAR(1)