Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: merging text files into one
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting merging text files into one Post 302495033 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 07:41:36 AM
Old 02-09-2011
You can use awk to do it all:
Code:
awk 'FNR==1{if(NR>1)print x;f=FILENAME;sub(/\.[^.]+$/,x,f);print f}1' file[123].dat > outfile

or use shell:
Code:
first=true
for f in file[123].dat
do
  if ! $first; then
    echo
  fi
  first=false
  echo "${f%.*}"
  while IFS= read -r line
  do
    printf "%s\n" "$line"
  done < "$f"
done > outfile

But I would not repeatedly call awk within a loop....

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-09-2011 at 08:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging few columns of two text files to a new file

hi i need to select a few columns of two txt files and write it to a new file. there is one common field for both of these files. plz help me in this thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kolvi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging text files

hi, i need to merge 2 lakh text files ..... can somebody please help me with a script/program for it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: code19
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging all text files in the order which they recieved

Hi There, I am new to UNIX. requirement is merging all text files from one folder in the order which they have received. EX: under /Test folder files received in certain intervals. abc.txt @ 1:00 AM 123.txt @ 2:00 AM xyz.txt @ 4:00 AM . . . 456.txt @ 10:00 PM so need to develop a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging all text files in the order which they recieved

Hi guru's :) I am new to UNIX. requirement is merging all text files from one folder in the order which they have received. EX: under /Test folder files received in certain intervals. abc.txt @ 1:00 AM 123.txt @ 2:00 AM xyz.txt @ 4:00 AM . . . 456.txt @ 10:00 PM ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Script For Merging Text Files

Hello, I am trying to merge data from two text files. One file (File1) contains a listing of data which includes the trial number in Column 5, while the other text file (File2) contains what category the trial belongs to. Here is a snippet of what File1 looks like. 1 Arrow_ST 9.738 0.905... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jahn
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two text files with variable coloumns

Hi All, I have two text files containing space delimited columns. The first file contains 9 columns and the second one contain 3 columns. I want to copy the 3 coloumns from the 2nd file and paste them in 1st file after 9 coloumns. Ex. File1.txt contains 9 coloumns C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 C7 C8 C9... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two text files by a column

So I have two text files. The first one looks like this: refsnp_id chr_name chrom_start 1 rs1000000 12 126890980 2 rs10000010 4 21618674 3 rs10000012 4 1357325 4 rs10000013 4 37225069 5 rs1000002 3 183635768 And the second one looks like this: AUC rs1000000 0.03 0.1240 AUC ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two text files by a column

I have two text files. One has two columns and looks like below: rs# otherallele_freq rs10399749 0 rs4030303 0 rs4030300 0 rs940550 1.000 rs13328714 0 rs11490937 0 rs6683466 0 rs12025928 1.000 rs6650104 0 rs11240781 0... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two text files by two columns

Hi, I have two text files that I would like to merge/join. I would like to join them if the first columns of both text files match and the second column of the first text file matches the third column of the second text file. Example input: First file: 1334 10 0 0 1 5.2 1334 12 0 0 1 4.5... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing and merging two text files

Hey everybody, I am new here and already a question to ask, I just recently started some bioinformatic work for my PhD so I am slowly learning Anyway, here is my problem, I have two text files, one contains the complete data file with 43000 genes and their read counts for all my samples... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ant55
1 Replies
UNSHAR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 UNSHAR(1)

NAME
unshar - unpack a shar file SYNOPSIS
unshar [ options ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Unshar scans mail messages looking for the start of a shell archive. It then passes the archive through a copy of the shell to unpack it. It will accept multiple files. If no files are given, standard input is used. OPTIONS
Options have a one letter version starting with - or a long version starting with --. The exception is --help and --version, which does not have a short version. --version Print the version number of the program on standard output, then immediately exits. --help Print a help summary on standard output, then immediately exits. -d DIRECTORY --directory=DIRECTORY Change directory to DIRECTORY before unpacking any files. -c --overwrite Passed as an option to the shar file. Many shell archive scripts (including those produced by `shar' 3.40 and newer) accepts a -c argument to indicate that existing files should be overwritten. -e --exit-0 This option exists mainly for people who collect many shell archives into a single mail folder. With this option, `unshar' isolates each different shell archive from the others which have been put in the same file, unpacking each in turn, from the beginning of the file towards its end. Its proper operation relies on the fact that many shar files are terminated by a `exit 0' at the beginning of a line. Option -e is internally equivalent to -E "exit 0". -E STRING --split-at=STRING This option works like -e, but it allows you to specify the string that separates archives if `exit 0' isn't appropriate. For example, noticing that most `.signatures' have a `--' on a line right before them, one can sometimes use `--split-at=--' for splitting shell archives which lack the `exit 0' line at end. The signature will then be skipped altogether with the headers of the following message. -f --force The same as -c. SEE ALSO
shar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Any message from the shell may be displayed. AUTHORS
The shar and unshar programs is the collective work of many authors. Many people contributed by reporting problems, suggesting various improvements or submitting actual code. A list of these people is in the THANKS file in the sharutils distribution. September 10, 1995 UNSHAR(1)