Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk xyz file in a for loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk xyz file in a for loop Post 302494717 by johnstrong on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 06:57:21 AM
Old 02-08-2011
Java awk xyz file in a for loop

hi good day

I have a number of text files (xyz) that I want to format in to defined column widths (that is 7 digits (padding with zeros in cases where necessary) with 6 decimal places) using awk.
I can perform this on one text file at a time without any problems.

However I want to write a shell script that I can use to loop this so that it does the task automatically on each text file in the folder. I want to generate the output files automatically by using the input file name and appending 'fixed' to it.

I tried using a for loop with the sed command to create the output names automatically but now success.

Can you please help me create such a script that will loop and edit all my files in a certain folder?

thanks much.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How would you replace the n character in a file with some xyz?

How would you replace the n character in a file with some xyz? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JosephGerard
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Work CSV file with awk loop

I need to converts a CSV file from Format "A" into Format "B", where the first field is repeated in a loop with a counter. I'am quite sure that this is with AWK possible burt the "Forum Search Function" doesn't work at the moment. Format "A" A1;B1 ;B2 ;B3 A2;C1 ;C2 ;C3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frieling
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with a file path as awk output in for loop

When I run the following command in the shell it works fine. It prints a city name and then a path for a file. ~$ for i in `awk -F':' '{print $0}' /home/knoppix/Desktop/data/subs | grep -m 1 $ city | sed "s/:/ /"` >do >echo $i >done Now, when I place it in this shell script (sh) it prints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: afroCluster
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pull info under headers in file(awk,grep,while loop)

below is an extract from my file and I am trying to use Awk and grep and a while loop to pull infomation from under neath "HBA WWN=".HBA WWN=" reoccurs all over the file but the 100000c.....number are unique and I want to be able to pull and reference specifi information under this header ever time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating xyz file with awk-if-else or sed

Hi forum, I am really hoping somebody can please help me here. I have a dataset in xyz format, with longitude as x, latitude as y and data readings as z. eg. 0 90 -8 1 90 23 2 90 -4 etc etc etc What i am looking to do is format the data so that x and y are untouched, however in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shlam16
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk instead of while loop to read file

Hello, I have a huge file, I am currently using while loop to read and do some calculation on it, but it is taking a lot of time. I want to use AWK to read and do those calculations. Please suggest. currently doing: cat input2 | while read var1 do num=`echo $var1 | awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand2308
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure using regex with awk in 'while read file' loop

I have a file1.txt with several 100k lines, each of which has a column 9 containing one of 60 "label" identifiers. Using an labels.txt file containing a list of labels, I'd like to extract 200 random lines from file1.txt for each of the labels in index.txt. Using a contrived mini-example: $ cat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process a file for line count using for loop in awk

Hi, I have a file with contents So what I have to do is In short, break the file after every 6 lines and then truncate new line to tab for these 6 lines. I am not able to execute the for loop in awk properly. The idea is something like this: less file| awk '{for .... {if ((nr>=1)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rossi
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use while loop to read file and use ${file} for both filename input into awk and as string to print

I have files named with different prefixes. From each I want to extract the first line containing a specific string, and then print that line along with the prefix. I've tried to do this with a while loop, but instead of printing the prefix I print the first line of the file twice. Files:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

10. Solaris

NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle - Solaris 10

Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: (file handle: 68000000 1bc5492e 20000000 377c5e 1ce9395c 720a6203 40000000 bdfb0400) Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host zyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies
RMM(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMM(1)

NAME
rmm - remove messages SYNOPSIS
rmm [+folder] [msgs] [-unlink | -nounlink] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
By default, rmm will remove the specified messages by renaming each of the message files with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma). Such files will then need to be removed in some manner after a certain amount of time. Many sites arrange for cron to remove these files once a day, so check with your system administrator. Alternately, if you wish for rmm to really remove the files representing these messages, you can use the -unlink switch. But messages removed by this method cannot be later recovered. If you prefer a more sophisticated method of `removing' messages, you can define the rmmproc profile component. For example, you can add a profile component such as rmmproc: /home/foouser/bin/rmm_msgs then instead of simply renaming the message file, rmm will call the named program or script to handle the files that represent the messages to be deleted. Some users of csh prefer the following: alias rmm 'refile +d' where folder `+d' is a folder for deleted messages, and alias mexp 'rm `mhpath +d all`' is used to "expunge" deleted messages. The current message is not changed by rmm, so a next will advance to the next message in the folder as expected. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message SEE ALSO
refile(1), rmf(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nounlink' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. BUGS
Since refile uses your rmmproc to delete the message, the rmmproc must NOT call refile without specifying -normmproc, or you will create an infinte loop. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMM(1)