Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read line Post 302494218 by ilikecows on Sunday 6th of February 2011 08:59:16 AM
Old 02-06-2011
Code:
grep 'USER PID PPID %CPU %MEM STARTED TIME VSZ RSS COMMAND' yourfile| cat -n

Last edited by ilikecows; 02-06-2011 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: forgot filename after grep regex

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file1 read line-per-line then grep -A 15 lines down in fileb

STEP 1 # Set variable FILE=/tmp/mainfile SEARCHFILE =/tmp/searchfile # THIS IS THE MAIN FILE. cat /tmp/mainfile Interface Ethernet0/0 "outside", is up, line protocol is up Hardware is i82546GB rev03, BW 100 Mbps Full-Duplex(Full-duplex), 100 Mbps(100 Mbps) MAC address... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: irongeekio
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a text file line by line & process it...

Hi , I am trying to write an shell, which reads a text file (from a location) having a list of numbers of strictly 5 digits only ex: 33144 Now my script will check : 1) that each entry is only 5 digits & numeric only, no alphabets, & its not empty. 2)then it executes a shell script called... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_to_shell
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the contents of two files line by line and compare the line by line?

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out which are the trusted-ips and which are not using a script file.. I have a file named 'ip-list.txt' which contains some ip addresses and another file named 'trusted-ip-list.txt' which also contains some ip addresses. I want to read a line from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read multiple options from file, line by line

Hi all I have spent half a day trying to create a shell script which reads a configuration file on a line by line basis. The idea of the file is that each will contain server information, such as IP address and various port numbers. The line could also be blank (The file is user created). Here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haggismn
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process

Hi All, Am trying to write wrapper shell/bash script on a utility tool for which i need to pass 2 files as arugment to execute utility tool. Wraper script am trying is to do with above metion 2 files. utility tool accepts : a. userinfo file : which contains username b. item file : which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] read 'line' issue with leading tabs and virtual line breaks

Heyas I'm trying to read/display a file its content and put borders around it (tui-cat / tui-cat -t(ypwriter). The typewriter-part is a 'bonus' but still has its own flaws, but thats for later. So in some way, i'm trying to rewrite cat using bash and other commands. But sadly it fails on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies
ps(1B)						     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						    ps(1B)

NAME
ps - display the status of current processes SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ps [-aceglnrSuUvwx] [-t term] [num] DESCRIPTION
The ps command displays information about processes. Normally, only those processes that are running with your effective user ID and are attached to a controlling terminal (see termio(7I)) are shown. Additional categories of processes can be added to the display using vari- ous options. In particular, the -a option allows you to include processes that are not owned by you (that do not have your user ID), and the -x option allows you to include processes without controlling terminals. When you specify both -a and -x, you get processes owned by anyone, with or without a controlling terminal. The -r option restricts the list of processes printed to running and runnable processes. ps displays in tabular form the process ID, under PID; the controlling terminal (if any), under TT; the cpu time used by the process so far, including both user and system time, under TIME; the state of the process, under S; and finally, an indication of the COMMAND that is running. The state is given by a single letter from the following: O Process is running on a processor. S Sleeping. Process is waiting for an event to complete. R Runnable. Process is on run queue. Z Zombie state. Process terminated and parent not waiting. T Traced. Process stopped by a signal because parent is tracing it. OPTIONS
The following options must all be combined to form the first argument: -a Includes information about processes owned by others. -c Displays the command name rather than the command arguments. -e Displays the environment as well as the arguments to the command. -g Displays all processes. Without this option, ps only prints interesting processes. Processes are deemed to be uninteresting if they are process group leaders. This normally eliminates top-level command interpreters and processes waiting for users to login on free terminals. -l Displays a long listing, with fields F, PPID, CP, PRI, NI, SZ, RSS, and WCHAN as described below. -n Produces numerical output for some fields. In a user listing, the USER field is replaced by a UID field. -r Restricts output to running and runnable processes. -S Displays accumulated CPU time used by this process and all of its reaped children. -t term Lists only process data associated with the terminal, term. Terminal identifiers may be specified in one of two forms: the device's file name (for example, tty04 or term/14 ) or, if the device's file name starts with tty, just the digit identifier (for example, 04). -u Displays user-oriented output. This includes fields USER, %CPU, %MEM, SZ, RSS, and START as described below. -U Obsolete. This option no longer has any effect. It causes ps to exit without printing the process listing. -v Displays a version of the output containing virtual memory. This includes fields SIZE, %CPU, %MEM, and RSS, described below. -w Uses a wide output format (132 columns rather than 80). If the option letter is repeated, that is, -ww, uses arbitrarily wide out- put. This information is used to decide how much of long commands to print. -x Includes processes with no controlling terminal. num A process number may be given, in which case the output is restricted to that process. This option must be supplied last. DISPLAY FORMATS
Fields that are not common to all output formats: USER Name of the owner of the process. %CPU CPU use of the process. This is a decaying average over up to a minute of previous (real) time. NI Process scheduling increment (see getpriority(3C) and nice(3UCB)). SIZE The total size of the process in virtual memory, including all mapped files and devices, in kilobyte units. SZ Same as SIZE. RSS Real memory (resident set) size of the process, in kilobyte units. UID Numerical user-ID of process owner. PPID Numerical ID of parent of process. CP Short-term CPU utilization factor (used in scheduling). PRI The priority of the process (higher numbers mean lower priority). START The starting time of the process, given in hours, minutes, and seconds. A process begun more than 24 hours before the ps inquiry is executed is given in months and days. WCHAN The address of an event for which the process is sleeping (if blank, the process is running). %MEM The ratio of the process's resident set size to the physical memory on the machine, expressed as a percentage. F Flags (hexadecimal and additive) associated with the process. These flags are available for historical purposes; no meaning should be currently ascribed to them. A process that has exited and has a parent, but has not yet been waited for by the parent, is marked <defunct>; otherwise, ps tries to determine the command name and arguments given when the process was created by examining the user block. FILES
/dev/tty* /etc/passwd UID information supplier ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
kill(1), ps(1), whodo(1M), getpriority(3C), nice(3UCB), proc(4), attributes(5), termio(7I) NOTES
Things can change while ps is running. The picture ps gives is only a close approximation to the current state. Some data printed for defunct processes is irrelevant. SunOS 5.10 29 Mar 2002 ps(1B)