Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there a command to close a program with dump? Post 302493758 by Corona688 on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 04:16:25 PM
Old 02-03-2011
We thought you meant a coredump. As in, kill the program instantly and save a crash dump -- rather the opposite of politely update files and exit normally! Smilie

For more normal modes of termination you can try SIGTERM, SIGQUIT, SIGINT, SIGHUP. Whether and how it responds to these signals is of course program-dependent, but SIGHUP is often used to cause a daemon to reload config files and/or rotate logfiles. SIGUSR1 might also be useful if your software catches it for any use, it has no preassigned function so software uses it for whatever the programmer pleases.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dump Command in Linux

Can anybody tell me please how to use the "dump" command in Linux command. dump -0u /destination /sourcefile or device file. Please correct me. -regards -Iftikhar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syedifti
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dump program variables

Hi, Wish if could provide some clues. How do I dump all the C program variables(global) into say a file with their names and the values. So that when I restart the application again I could use this same file for reinitializing.Is this possible? Thanks, Reji (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rejise
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

backup NetApp using dump command

I have been trying to backup my NetApp /vol/vol0 data to local tape drive. It is around 68GB. The tape I am using is DLT tape and should be able to handle 70GB data. However, dump always aborted around reaching 57~58GB data. Tape drive is attached on NetApp. 1st try to dump /vol/vol0 to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yellowfish
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command

For ufsdump you type in a "dump level". The man command mentions levels 0-9 and gives examples. Can anyone define what each level refers to? What does a level 0 dump mean? What is a level 9 dump? What are the differences? Thanks in advance:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Patman
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Dump and restore command usage ??

Hi, I am using RHEL 4.0 I need to take backup of a directory and then restore it to some other location. For taking Backup of final directory, I am using this code: dump -0aj -f /home/vicky/final.dump /home/vicky/final/ Now, I am trying to restore this final.dump to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command

Hi all, I am using embedded linux with my own RFS. But I want to use the dump command to try and solve some errors, but I don't know in wich package I can find the dump command. I hope someone can help me. With kind regards, Jurrian Dubbeldam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jurrian
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to open program and send/execute command in program

Hi, i want to write a script that executes a program (exec?) . this program then requires a filename as input. how do i give it this input in the script so the program will be complete run and close by the script. e.g. exec prog.exe program then asks for filename "enter filename:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuathan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to close telent session when login incorrect

i need a command to close telnet session wen login incorrect..i want to embed it into my perl script for telnet to check for login incorrect error. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command fault

im performing the dump command : dump 0uaf /dev/hdc /home an error msg appers says: DUMP: you cant update the dumpdates file while dumping a subdirectory DUMP: the entire dump is aborted can anyone help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: semosam
6 Replies

10. Programming

when parent process close, how to close the child?

can someone provide an example, where if the parent process quits for any reason, then the child process will also close? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
3 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)