Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reboot/Shutdown messages
Operating Systems Linux Reboot/Shutdown messages Post 302493747 by suryaemlinux on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 03:11:20 PM
Old 02-03-2011
Reboot/Shutdown messages

Hi,
I'm using 2.6.11 kernel on ARM 9. Below are the messages I get issuing different commands.

When I give "reboot" I get run level 6 initiated and get the following messages. I have nothing to complaint about it. All the scripts in rc6.d are executed.

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 6
INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
Terminated
INIT: Sending processes the KILL signal
Unmounting all file systems...
umount: rwfs busy - remounted read-only
Rebooting...

When I give "shutdown -now -h", I get following messages. Run level 0 is initiated and all the scripts in rc0.d are executed. No problems here as well.

The system is going down for system halt NOW!
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 0
INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
Terminated
INIT: Sending processes the KILL signal
Sending all processes the TERM signal...done.
Unmounting all file systems...

This gets interesting when I pull the auxiliary power line to the board. I would like to know which run level it does initiate. If there are no run levels attached to it, how do i do that? Below are the messages when I get my auxiliary power line pulled out.

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
shutdown: sending all processes the TERM signal...
shutdown: sending all processes the KILL signal.
shutdown: turning off swap
shutdown: unmounting all file systems
umount: /dev: Device or resource busy
Please stand by while rebooting the s

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shutdown and Reboot problem

Hi, i have sco openserver 5.0.6 but have a problem with shutdown or reboot commands. The string I use is "shutdown -g0 -y" but the system just hangs on "The sytem is down" . I used to get a "Safe to turn of" but now nothing. Same with "reboot" the sytem just freezes. Any suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VTechman
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to control/overide shutdown/reboot process?

Dear all, I want to control my server from shutting down and rebooting. It will ask for some question before the process, ex: who are you? what is the reason for shutting down? ... I think I can overide that binary of shutdown/reboot command, but it is confused. We have many way to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
5 Replies

4. SuSE

How to record shutdown/startup messages

The wtmp file records all logins and logouts. Its format is exactly like utmp except that a null user name indicates a logout on the associated terminal. Furthermore, the terminal name "~" with user name "shutdown" or "reboot" indicates a system shutdown or reboot and the pair of terminal names... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Laksmi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shutdown and reboot unix server

Hi, please could someone advise the best command to shutdown and then for it to reboot back online again. Note: I shall be doing this from a telent session. regards venhart (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dmesg equivalent of shutdown messages

dmesg is used to print bootup messages. How can i get/read the shutdown log messages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit script when shutdown or reboot command is given

This is probably a simple question, but I'm new with writing scripts for Linux (IPFire in this case) and Google wasn't helpful with this. When creating a script, what is the best and/or proper way to have it exit automatically if the reboot or shutdown command is given? If that's even... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartgrefte
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Server shutdown- /var/log/messages copied over here

Hi, Please share your thought what could make the server shutdown: Dec 1 10:20:05 powellton syslog-ng: syslog-ng version 1.6.8 starting Dec 1 10:20:06 powellton kdump: Loaded kdump kernel: /sbin/kexec -p /boot/vmlinux-2.6.16.60-0.34-kdump --append="CRASH=1 root=/dev/rootvg/rootlv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_db
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

No init messages display during startup/shutdown

This question is more in the line of how init messages get sent to a console during startup/shutdown. My problem has to do with exporting a VM from AWS to KVM (and a retry on virtual box). I am looking for a understanding on how init messages are sent to a device and what controls them My two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtkells
0 Replies
dxshutdown(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     dxshutdown(8)

NAME
dxshutdown - Performs various types of automated system shutdown. SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dxshutdown OPTIONS
The dxshutdown command accepts all of the standard X Toolkit command-line options, which are documented in the OPTIONS section of the X(1X) reference page. DESCRIPTION
The Shutdown Manager application, dxshutdown, provides the system administrator with a graphical user interface for running user-specified scripts at shutdown time in addition to performing the following types of automated system shutdown: Halt (and restart console mode) Reboot Single-user mode shutdown Message-only shutdown Dependencies: None. You do not need to configure anything prior to running Shutdown Manager. You must be root to run Shutdown Manager. Shutdown Manager also lets the system administrator display one or more warning messages prior to system shutdown. The dxshutdown command uses the Tru64 UNIX shutdown command as an API, passing command-line arguments as specified by application defaults and user inputs. The Shutdown Manager also provides the following features, which the shutdown command does not provide: Selection of a preshutdown script to be executed prior to system shutdown Easy cancellation for a shutdown while the timed countdown is in progress Maintenance of an error- and-script output log under /var/adm/sysman/dxshutdown.log Saving and restoring user-selected shutdown options over multiple invocations of the Shutdown Manager application For additional information about the graphical user interface, see the online help volume, which is available from the Help button in the main window of the Shutdown Manager application. To start dxshutdown from the graphical user interface: Click on the Application Manager icon on the CDE front panel. Double click on the System_Admin application group icon. Double click on the Daily Admin application group icon. Double click on the Shutdown Manager appli- cation icon. EXAMPLES
To start Shutdown Manager from the command line, enter: dxshutdown To open the Shutdown Manager help volume from the command line, enter the following command: /usr/dt/bin/dthelpview -h /usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/DXshutdown.sdl FILES
Shutdown Manager executable Shutdown Manager log file Shutdown Manager help volume Shutdown Manager resource file (for option settings) SEE ALSO
Commands: fasthalt(8), halt(8), rc0(8), reboot(8), rwalld(8), shutdown(8), sync(8), X(1X) dxshutdown(8)