Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: KSH: A PROBLEM awk SUBSTRING
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH: A PROBLEM awk SUBSTRING Post 302493634 by aix-guy on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 08:57:20 AM
Old 02-03-2011
gzcat cats a gzipped file it does not compress.
The gzcat utility behaves just like the gunzip -c command. (On some systems, gzcat is installed as zcat

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh substring commands

I am trying to get various portions of strings in my script, but am getting a substitution error. I followed the syntax that was described when I goggled this, but I can't get anything to work. #! /bin/ksh/ hello="adklafk;afak" #hello=${hello:3} hello=${$hello:3} happy="hey" echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anderssl
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substring using AWK

can we do substring fuctionality using AWK say I have string "sandeep" can i pick up only portion "nde" from it. Thanks and Regards Sandeep Ranade (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem extracting substring in korn shell

hi all, I have read similiar topics in this board, but i didn' t find the posting which is the same with the problem i face.. I try to extract string from the end. i try to do this: num=abcdefghij num2=${num:-5} echo $num2 #this should print the last 5 characters (fghij) but it doesn;t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nashrul
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring problem

I have a file which comes with a few tags and some contents inside them. eg: <ABC>Hello Unix.com</ABC> <XYZ>WWSHF</XYZ> Now I want to pick out the contents in between the tags <ABC> and </ABC>. The contents within <ABC> and </ABC> spans more than one line. So greping and cutting is not an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajat
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Substring

Hi, i have a file from which i extracted 2nd column and put it into a variable Acct_Num . Now i need to extract first 3 digits from it and save in to other variable. My Code is: while read Record1 do Acct_Num=`echo $Record1 | awk '{print $2 }'` ID=`echo $Record1 | awk '{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting substring with awk

Hi Team, How to get the last 3 characters of a String irrespective of their length using awk? Thanks Kinny (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Substring search

Hi I have a table like this I want to know how many times the string in 2nd column appears in the first column as substring. For example the first string of 2nd column "cgt" occurs 3 times in the 1st column and "acg" one time. So my desired output is THank you very much in advance:) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk if/substring/append help

Hi All, I need some help with an awk command: What I'm trying to do is append "MYGROUP: " to text with the substring "AT_" the input file follows this format: AT_xxxxxx Name1 Name2 AT_xxxxxx NameA NameB I want the output to be: MYGROUP: AT_xxxxx Name1 Name2 MYGROUP:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikecraft
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substring AIX ksh

I am trying to obtain a substring in AIX, but unable to obtain result ${var:1:3} ksh: ${var:1:3}: bad substitution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring Problem with sed . . .

Greetings. I'm looking to isolate the first occurrence of an arbitrary substring which may be present at any particular line in a given file. The enclosing end markers for the target in our thought problem are string" and ". The complete string and surrounding text could look something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
3 Replies
GZIP(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   GZIP(1)

NAME
gzip -- compression/decompression tool using Lempel-Ziv coding (LZ77) SYNOPSIS
gzip [-cdfhlNnqrtVv] [-S suffix] file [file [...]] gunzip [-cfhNqrtVv] [-S suffix] file [file [...]] zcat [-fhV] file [file [...]] DESCRIPTION
The gzip program compresses and decompresses files using Lempel-Ziv coding (LZ77). If no files are specified, gzip will compress from stan- dard input, or decompress to standard output. When in compression mode, each file will be replaced with another file with the suffix, set by the -S suffix option, added, if possible. In decompression mode, each file will be checked for existence, as will the file with the suffix added. If invoked as gunzip then the -d option is enabled. If invoked as zcat or gzcat then both the -c and -d options are enabled. This version of gzip is also capable of decompressing files compressed using compress(1) or bzip2(1). OPTIONS
The following options are available: -1, --fast -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9, --best These options change the compression level used, with the -1 option being the fastest, with less compression, and the -9 option being the slowest, with optimal compression. The default compression level is 6. -c, --stdout, --to-stdout This option specifies that output will go to the standard output stream, leaving files intact. -d, --decompress, --uncompress This option selects decompression rather than compression. -f, --force This option turns on force mode. This allows files with multiple links, overwriting of pre-existing files, reading from or writing to a terminal, and when combined with the -c option, allowing non-compressed data to pass through unchanged. -h, --help This option prints a usage summary and exits. -l, --list This option displays information about the file's compressed and uncompressed size, ratio, uncompressed name. With the -v option, it also displays the compression method, CRC, date and time embedded in the file. -N, --name This option causes the stored filename in the input file to be used as the output file. -n, --no-name This option stops the filename and timestamp from being stored in the output file. -q, --quiet With this option, no warnings or errors are printed. -r, --recursive This option is used to gzip the files in a directory tree individually, using the fts(3) library. -S suffix, --suffix suffix This option changes the default suffix from .gz to suffix. -t, --test This option will test compressed files for integrity. -V, --version This option prints the version of the gzip program. -v, --verbose This option turns on verbose mode, which prints the compression ratio for each file compressed. ENVIRONMENT
If the environment variable GZIP is set, it is parsed as a white-space separated list of options handled before any options on the command line. Options on the command line will override anything in GZIP. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), compress(1), xz(1), fts(3), zlib(3) HISTORY
The gzip program was originally written by Jean-loup Gailly, licensed under the GNU Public Licence. Matthew R. Green wrote a simple front end for NetBSD 1.3 distribution media, based on the freely re-distributable zlib library. It was enhanced to be mostly feature-compatible with the original GNU gzip program for NetBSD 2.0. This manual documents NetBSD gzip version 20040427. AUTHORS
This implementation of gzip was written by Matthew R. Green <mrg@eterna.com.au>. BSD
June 18, 2011 BSD