Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to see files backed up on tape using dd command Post 302492418 by ahmerin on Monday 31st of January 2011 10:28:27 AM
Old 01-31-2011
Hi Robin,

Thanks for a prompt reply.

Everything worked fine, once I found where the problem was Smilie

Instead of using a backup software, I decided to work on the default unix utilities to control the tape library and device - mtx (for controlling the tape library/robotic arm; mt for the dive) and tar to do the backup. In doing so, I mixed the drive letter/number and the slot number from where the tape came from. My tape was in drive 1 and I was trying to read it from drive 0 Smilie .

Now all is fine (tar tvf /dev/nst0 is showing the contents) I am sorry to have taken so much of your's and others' time.

Regards
Ahmerin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Unix Backed up with Windows NT?

We are running a Windows NT environment and have a stand alone Unix box. Is there software that would allow this Unix machine to be backed up along with our routine Windows NT backups? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: G-Money
3 Replies

2. AIX

Echo Command to Tape

I've just got a new server running AIX5.3 When I Try this command: echo ABC123 > /dev/rmt0 I get the following message : A system call received a parameter that is not valid It worked OK on 4.3. Has something changed in the operating system> (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gordbaby
0 Replies

3. Solaris

TAR command , listing backed up files

I've backed up several files to tape using tar, and wish to list those that have backed up. % tar cvf /dev/rmt/2un /s_1/oradata/pgpub/config.ora a /s_1/oradata/pgpub/config.ora 2 tape blocks But when I go to list the files: % tar tvf /dev/rmt/2un tar: tape read error What am I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help recovering a backed up file

Hello, By accident I erased a file at work and I need to restore it from a backup tape. My manager says I will have to use the mt command with the fsf option to look through the tape but I am confuzed. I did a restore -t to get a listing of the tape. This is taking a long time. If I sound... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

5. AIX

Tape status command

We sometime run backups to tape in the background using the cron. Is there a command that will show me how fast the information is being written and or how much data has been written? I know if we enter the information via the command prompt or smit it shows the speed and amount written. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Identify date of file backed up used FBACKUP cmd?

Dear UNIX Experts, I'm a newbie. My name is Budi. I need some help from any body in this forum. How do we identify the backed up date of file in the Back up tape ? I did the back up using FBACKUP cmd. I tried to googling it, but unfortunately no aimed solution that I got. :confused: I've... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhoed
0 Replies

7. Solaris

files in tape

unix1{owadmin}% tar tvf /dev/rmt/1 -rw-rw-rw- 1021/10 0 Sep 11 17:54 2011 TinahPF_Far_32bit.segy tar: directory checksum error unix1{owadmin}% i know in this tape 3 files not only one file so what can i do to view 3 files and what is this error mean ( tar: directory checksum error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayman
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

how can i change inactive backed up filename on tsm

does any one know how to change inactive filename that is backed up on tsm? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: curtis911
1 Replies
tcopy(1)							   User Commands							  tcopy(1)

NAME
tcopy - copy a magnetic tape SYNOPSIS
tcopy source [destination] DESCRIPTION
The tcopy utility copies the magnetic tape mounted on the tape drive specified by the source argument. The only assumption made about the contents of a tape is that there are two tape marks at the end. When only a source drive is specified, tcopy scans the tape, and displays information about the sizes of records and tape files. If a des- tination is specified, tcopy makes a copies the source tape onto the destination tape, with blocking preserved. As it copies, tcopy pro- duces the same output as it does when only scanning a tape. The tcopy utility requires the use of Berkeley-compatible device names. For example, example% tcopy /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/2b ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mt(1), ioctl(2), attributes(5) NOTES
tcopy will only run on systems supporting an associated set of ioctl(2) requests. SunOS 5.11 10 Mar 2000 tcopy(1)