Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue with "kill -9" command
Operating Systems Solaris Issue with "kill -9" command Post 302492221 by methyl on Sunday 30th of January 2011 01:58:04 PM
Old 01-30-2011
The "kill -9 <PID>" command is the absolute last resort.

Unless the process has no database connections and is not firmly stuck in I/O (which would probably need a reboot anyway) there is no reason to ever issue this command.

There is no way that I would ever issue this command to a client process which is still attached to a database. There absolutely no way that I would ever issue this command to a database engine process unless I was in a disaster situation and could not shut down the system prior to restoring the database from backup.

Please read the documentation for your database engine and consider appropriate ways to stop extraneous or stuck processes.

ImHo. Do not issue "kill -9" to a process connected to a database or to a database engine process.

Hope this is clear.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

""Help Me!""Beginner awk learning issue

Hi All, I have just now started learning awk from the source - Awk - A Tutorial and Introduction - by Bruce Barnett and the bad part is that I am stuck on the very first example for running the awk script. The script is as - #!/bin/sh # Linux users have to change $8 to $9 awk ' BEGIN ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help - "sed" command issue

we have two parameters as below in our script and passing values while executing. row_count=356 col_count=239 I have below sed command in my script MAILMSG=`grep -v "##" mail_body.txt | sed 's/$Row_Count/'${row_count}'/g;s/$Colu_Count/'${col_count}'/g;s/$Accepted/'5%/g` It is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the use of "finger" command & how to use it to kill the online processes ?

Hi there, I am eager to know what exactly is the use of "finger" command & how to use it to kill the online processes ? :b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhijitpaul0212
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
DROP 
DATABASE(7) SQL Commands DROP DATABASE(7) NAME
DROP DATABASE - remove a database SYNOPSIS
DROP DATABASE [ IF EXISTS ] name DESCRIPTION
DROP DATABASE drops a database. It removes the catalog entries for the database and deletes the directory containing the data. It can only be executed by the database owner. Also, it cannot be executed while you or anyone else are connected to the target database. (Connect to postgres or any other database to issue this command.) DROP DATABASE cannot be undone. Use it with care! PARAMETERS
IF EXISTS Do not throw an error if the database does not exist. A notice is issued in this case. name The name of the database to remove. NOTES
DROP DATABASE cannot be executed inside a transaction block. This command cannot be executed while connected to the target database. Thus, it might be more convenient to use the program dropdb [dropdb(1)] instead, which is a wrapper around this command. COMPATIBILITY
There is no DROP DATABASE statement in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
CREATE DATABASE [create_database(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 DROP DATABASE(7)