Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Matlab help! Reading in a file with a variable filename Post 302492113 by ds7202 on Saturday 29th of January 2011 09:49:45 PM
Old 01-29-2011
Matlab help! Reading in a file with a variable filename

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
I want to read in a file, and plot the data in matlab. However, I do not like hardwiring filenames into my codes, so I always give the user the option to specify what the filename is. I am pretty inexperienced with matlab, so I have no idea how to do this!

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

My algorithm is as such:

Ask for the user to specify the filename they want to open,
have the script open the specified file,
plot the data.

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):

clear,clc;

char file [20];
file = input('What is the filename you would like to read?');

fopen file;

and

clear,clc;

file = input('~~~~')

fopen file;

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):

Iowa State University
Ames, IA usa
Ganesh Rajagopalan
AerE 261

---------- Post updated at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:50 PM ----------

Actually, I discovered a "uigetfile" command, so I got that down.

However, i'm having trouble assigning those values to variables.

I've tried the following:

[a, b, c] =

and

a = filename(:,1);

How do I assign the values in each column to a matrix of values?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file using sh with spaces in filename

Hi I am trouble parsing through a file with spaces in the filename. I need to grab "supportIDPS/SCM/windows_install/file groups/dds.fgl" and then do a md5sum on it. I am using sh. Any help is appreciated. Here is an example of the input file: 7eedbc9f7902bf4c1878d9e571addf9a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jekl5
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping to a file and setting filename using a variable

Hi all, I would like to send the output of a line in a ksh script to a file, but I need to name the file using a predefined variable: ls -l > $MYVAR.arc But what is the correct syntax for achieving this? I can't seem to find the correct syntax for giving the file an extension. Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandriver
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get the latest file by reading the date in the filename.

Hi, I grep for a pattern in a list of files. "grep -i -l $pattern *.datx*" it may give me n number of files. say for eg, it gives me 2 files. lock_eicu_20071228_00000000.dat_20071228_05343100 lock_eicu_20080501_00000000.dat_20080501_05343900 out of these 2 files I need to get the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsshini
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assingn a variable a filename and then reading it in

Im trying to set a filename to a variable and then read the file in using the variable but im getting a syntax error. any ideas? #!/bin/bash function scanFile() { while read $1 do echo $filename done } file1=report.log scanFile() $file1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading the whole line from a file into a variable

Hi, I am doing : while read line do printf "%s\n" ${line} done <datafile.txt but I am not getting each single line from the data file assigned to the variable line (but only tokens/fields at a time). I also tried while IFS= read -r lineI want the whole line assigned or read into the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shri_nath
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a variable from file

Hi, I have a situation where I need to read a variable from another file. But the problem is that the variable in the other file is starting with $. E.g. file1: $var1=out temp_ss.sh: . file1 echo "Print : $var1" It works fine if the file1 is having var1=out (note that it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading variable value from a file

Hello, I need to read a variable value from script. Below is the scenario I am reading a value from an external file say a.txt a.txt: Jan Feb Mar I need the corresponding value of the months in in numerics such as Jan -->1, Feb-->2 etc. I have this mapping in another file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of matlab as a variable for shell script

I'm running a matlab code within a shell script. This is how I do it, matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -nojvm -r "my_program;quit" This works fine. My matlab code prints out a single number, say "ans = 10" for example. I want to assign this to a variable in the shell script. I tried doing this... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non trivial file splitting, saving with variable filename

Hello, Although I have found similar questions, I could not find advice that could help with our problem. The issue: We have a few thousands text files (books). Each book has many chapters. Each chapter is identified by a cite-key. We need to split each of those book files by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samask
4 Replies
fopen(3s)																 fopen(3s)

Name
       fopen, freopen, fdopen - open a stream

Syntax
       #include <stdio.h>

FILE *fopen (filename, type)
       char *filename, *type;

FILE *freopen (filename, type, stream)
       char *filename, *type;
       FILE *stream;

FILE *fdopen (fildes, type)
       int fildes;
       char *type;

Description
       The  routine opens the file named by filename and associates a stream with it.  The routine returns a pointer to the FILE structure associ-
       ated with the stream.

The filename points to a character string that contains the name of the file to be opened.

The type is a character string having one of the following values:

"r"	    Open for reading

"w"	    Truncate or create for writing

"a"	    Append; open for writing at end of file, or create for writing

"A"	    Append with no overwrite; open for writing at end-of-file, or create for writing

"r+"	    Open for reading and writing

"w+"	    Truncate or create for reading and writing

"a+"	    Append; open or create for reading and writing at end-of-file

"A+"	    Append with no overwrite, open or create for update at end-of-file

The letter "b" can also follow r, w, or a. In some C implementations, the "b" is needed to indicate a  binary  file,  however,  it  is  not
       needed in ULTRIX.  If "+" is used, the "b" may occur on either side, as in "rb+" or "w+b".

The  routine  substitutes  the named file in place of the open stream.  The original stream is closed, regardless of whether the open ulti-
       mately succeeds.  The routine returns a pointer to the FILE structure associated with stream.

The routine is typically used to attach the preopened streams associated with stdin, stdout and stderr to other files.

The routine associates a stream with a file descriptor.	File descriptors are obtained from or which open files but do not return  pointers
       to  a  FILE structure stream.  Streams are necessary input for many of the Section 3s library routines.	The type of stream must agree with
       the mode of the open file.

When a file is opened for update, both input and output may be done on the resulting stream.  However, output may not be directly  followed
       by  input  without  an  intervening  or and input may not be directly followed by output without an intervening or an input operation which
       encounters end-of-file.

When a file is opened for append with no overwrite (that is when type is "A" or "A+"), it is impossible to overwrite information already in
       the  file.  The routine may be used to reposition the file pointer to any position in the file, but when output is written to the file, the
       current file pointer is disregarded.  All output is written at the end of the file and causes the file pointer to be  repositioned  at  the
       end  of	the  output.   If  two separate processes open the same file for append, each process may write freely to the file without fear of
       destroying output being written by the other.  The output from the two processes will be intermixed in the file in the order in which it is
       written.

Return Values
       The and routines return a NULL pointer on failure.

Environment
   SYSTEM_V
       When  your  program is compiled using the System V environment, append with no overwrite is specified by using the "a" or "a+" type string,
       and the "A" and "A+" type strings are not allowed.

POSIX
       In the POSIX environment, the "a" and "a+" strings, and the "A" and "A+" strings specify append with no overwrite.

See Also
       creat(2), dup(2), open(2), pipe(2), fclose(3s), fseek(3s).

fopen(3s)