Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions C++ output with significant digits Post 302492109 by Corona688 on Saturday 29th of January 2011 08:18:45 PM
Old 01-29-2011
No problem.

Floating point numbers actually represent numbers like 1.926254 x 2^16 internally, changing the exponent instead of moving the decimal -- that's what "floating point" means -- making decimal places pretty meaningless until you print it. None of it's kept in base 10 even, all in base 2.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help: single digits inflated to 2 digits

Hi Folks Probably an easy one here but how do I get a sequence to get used as mentioned. For example in the following I want to automatically create files that have a 2 digit number at the end of their names: m@pyhead:~$ for x in $(seq 00 10); do touch file_$x; done m@pyhead:~$ ls file*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amadain
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell arithmetic least significant place

I need help on arithmetic root@server # hour=`date | awk {'print $4'} | cut -d: -f 1`; echo $hour 04 Now I subtract this result by 1 or 01 I get "3" as the answer. I need "03" as the answer, ie last two significant numbers should be there. root@server # hour=`date | awk {'print $4'} | cut... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find filenames with three digits and add zeros to make five digits

Hello all! I've looked all over the internet and this site and have come up a loss with an easy way to make a bash script to do what I want to do. I have a file with a naming convention as follows: 2012-01-18 string of words here 123.jpg 2012-01-18 string of words here 1234.jpg 2012-01-18... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buzzman25
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Significant Figures in awk

Hello, I've had a look at the printf modifiers, but so far I haven't had much luck in making it do what I need. I need to make it output with a set number of characters every time: whether it's by adding zeros at the end or by rounding, the output has to have the same number of characters in it,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo_Boon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a number up to last significant digit after decimal point

I want to write/print a number through a shell script up to its last significant digit (LSD) after the decimal point. Say, x=10.00056000000000000 I want to print x as x=10.00056. Note that x can be any thing so I cannot know the position of the LSD always. Thanks. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with change significant figure to normal figure command

Hi, Below is my input file: Long list of significant figure 1.757E-4 7.51E-3 5.634E-5 . . . Desired output file: 0.0001757 0.00751 0.00005634 . . . (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed / awk script to delete the two digits from first 3 digits

Hi All , I am having an input file as stated below 5728 U_TOP_LOGIC/U_CM0P/core/u_cortexm0plus/u_top/u_sys/u_core/r03_q_reg_20_/Q 011 611 U_TOP_LOGIC/U_CM0P/core/u_cortexm0plus/u_top/u_sys/u_core/r04_q_reg_20_/Q 011 3486... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
4 Replies
DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)					      Debconf						  DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)

NAME
debconf-mergetemplate - merge together multiple debconf template files SYNOPSIS
debconf-mergetemplate [options] [templates.ll ...] templates DESCRIPTION
Note: This utility is deprecated. You should switch to using po-debconf's po2debconf program. This program is useful if you have multiple debconf templates files which you want to merge together into one big file. All the specified files will be read in, merged, and output to standard output. This can be especially useful if you are dealing with translated template files. In this case, you might have your main template file, plus several other files provided by the translators. These files will have translated fields in them, and maybe the translators left in the english versions of the fields they translated, for their reference. So, you want to merge together all the translated templates files with your main templates file. Any fields that are unique to the translated files need to be added in to the correct templates, but any fields they have in common should be superseded by the fields in the main file (which might be more up-to-date). This program handles that case properly, just list each of the translated templates files, and then your main templates file last. OPTIONS
--outdated Merge in even outdated translations. The default is to drop them with a warning message. --drop-old-templates If a translation has an entire template that is not in the master file (and thus is probably an old template), drop that entire template. SEE ALSO
debconf-getlang(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)