Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check if file finished to copy Post 302491847 by Corona688 on Friday 28th of January 2011 12:54:36 PM
Old 01-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigagigosu
Hi all,

I have a script that is monitoring a hot folder. This script works fine with one exception when the script is executed while a file is being copied to the hot folder.

What is the easiest method to check if the copy file is completed? I'd like to get the solution in bash Smilie
We get asked this all the time. You simply can't tell if a file is done from just looking at it. The upload script has to tell you somehow.

Besides, what if an upload happens while your script is running? It was clear when you started, but halfway through it might screw up. You might have to force it to handle it gracefully.

Can your monitor script be made to skip names beginning with ._? The upload script could create it as ._filename and rename it to filename when its done. This will also help you find broken uploads.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I tell when an SFTP has finished copying a file?

If I download a file via SFTP how can I tell when the process is completed? Is there a process that I can monitor? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodmis
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check a file exist and do a copy of other files

Hi, I would like to perform bash which would check the file A.txt to be size 0 or not. If the size is 0, I would copy file B.txt to replace A.txt. Please help. Thanks. -Jason (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Files to Dir and Check If File Exists

Hi everyone. I am trying to write a bash script that will copy files from one directory to another but I need to be able to check the directory that I'm copying the files to and see if the file already exists. If it does I need to add a number at the end of the copied file. Thanks for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to copy files and check

Hi all, I need a script in ksh: 1: Copy files from directory (A) to directory (B) 2: Check if files that will be copied in directory (A) have never been yet copied to (B) 3: Never copy the last created file of directory (A) This script will run on crontab. Thanks in advance for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Camaro
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if some file is in copy process, then transfer it

my user copy large files, and it's take 10min for file to be copied to the server (/tmp/user/ files/), if in the meantime start my scheduled script, then it will copy a part of some file to server1 my idea is to check the file size twice in a short period (1-2 seconds) of time, then compare, if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: waso
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to take input from a text file and perform check on each servers and copy files

HI all, I want to script where all the server names will be in a text file like server1 server2 server3 . and the script should take servernames from a text file and perform copy of files if the files are not present on those servers.after which it should take next servername till the end of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joseph.dmello
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to check the copy % from following output

I have a scenario where I need to wait for the copy to be 100% in the following output There can be multiple devices in the copy session so I need to wait till everything becomes 100%, also we can look for the protected tracks t0 become 0 opey # symclone -sid 822 -v -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automation, Copy, File Status Check --> Script(s)

All, I have to write a script to do the following requirement. There is a file called BUSINESS_DATE.TXT. This file get updated once the oracle partition created. In Oracle, Partition will be created every day. There is a seperate script scheduled to take care ORACLE partition creation. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_mrkg
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script which will check the target file and folder exists and copy it

Hi All, I am a beginner in this and trying to write a shell script in linux which will : 1. Ask for a file name and check if its exists. 2. If file exists only then it will ask for the new target folder, after entering target folder name it will check if it exists. 3. If target folder... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish_neekhra
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print 1 file then when finished another file prints beside it?

I have 2 big files over 4Gbs each. I'm looking for a way to print 1 file, then when that file finish printing another file proceeds to print beside it and merge the lines together. How would to cmd or code this? from itertools import izip_longest with open("file1") as textfile1,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigvito19
14 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)