Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capturing script output and input to log Post 302491536 by nimo on Thursday 27th of January 2011 05:15:08 PM
Old 01-27-2011
It is a script that I wrote (bourne) and I display list of foulder, create some files with specific content, export some database tables, etc.

How do I proceed? I tried using "tee -a" at the end of every line, but I find it very poor process for long script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output in script

I have the following line in my script: $sftpcmd $rmthost <<COMMANDS>> $sftplog 2>&1 For some reason this is not capturing the errors from sftp, they go to the file attached to the cron entry ie mm hh dd MM * /myscript > cron.out any idea why? digital unix 4.0d (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing shell script command output

I am trying to check to see if a file exists on a ftp server, well, I know that cant be done, atleast directly, So I came up with this small script ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD cd public_html/crap dir $FILE quit END_SCRIPT Where the $ variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: designflaw
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

log script input and output using tee ?

hi, new to to forum... i've been trying to create a script in tcsh but i'm having a problem with one thing... the script has to keep log of it's input and output so i'm using tee -a log | script | tee -a log this keeps the logs as asked, but it gives me an extra empty prompt (not in the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moseschrist
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing line from script output and appending to a file

Hi all, I did some searching in this forum but can't find anything that matches the issue I'm bumping heads with. On a CentOS4/Postfix (and bash everywhere) mail gateway box I run a command periodically to purge the Postfix queue of messages "From:MAILER-DAEMON". This is the one line'r... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wally_welder
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Sybase SP output in Shell Script

Greetings, I need to capture the output of a Sybase stored procedure, inside my shell script( k shell). Based on this output, I need to call another perl script, with input arguments as the result set of the procedure execution. I need to keep looping through and call the perl script, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajpreetsidhu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing Input Parameters on Shell Script

i have this basic line of code that doesn't work. i simply want to get the input parameter strings but when the script is run it appears that the first parameter is assigning the value to the second parameter. #!/bin/sh pdir=`pwd` p1=$1 p2=$2 echo "directory: $pdir\n" echo "parameter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem capturing output in TCL script

I have a TCL script that logs into a switch using expect.I send a command "show port-security address" and it returns a table having a large number of rows.I need to capture this output(the table) and store it in a .txt file. I have done this: match_max 5000 set expect_out(buffer) {} set... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: plasmalightwave
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing log of a shell script

Hi, I have a script which does multiple tasks in sequence. When i execute the script, it runs and displays lot of messages for each of the steps on the console. Is there any way I can capture those messages and store it for audit purposes ? Best Regards, bornon2303 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bornon2303
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing output of procedure in variable in shell script

Hi guys I am calling one DB2 stored proc through unix. It is giving me below output. I want to capture the value 150 in one UNIX variable in shell script. Please let me know how I can achieve this. Thanks in advance Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnimavat
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help capturing output of expect script

match_max 500000 set timeout 30 set outcome1 {} set outcome2 {} set inputfile C:\\Users\\Administrator\\Desktop\\inputfile.txt send -i $con "\r"; expect -i $con "Desktop>" { exp_send "type $inputfile \r" } set timeout 30 expect { "Desktop>" { set outcome $expect_out(0,string);}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cityprince143
3 Replies
log(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    log(8)

NAME
log - Records input and output from a program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/log <logfile> <command> OPERANDS
The file in which to record the interaction being logged. The command to execute. DESCRIPTION
The log program runs <command> and logs the input to and output from <command> to the <logfile> file. Input and output are logged until <command> exits, the log program exits, and the exit status of <command> is returned. The log program is used by the system installation procedure and the it(8) command to create the /var/adm/smlogs/install.log and /var/adm/smlogs/it.log installation log files. RESTRICTIONS
Because the log program is used in the installation standalone environment, program size was the greatest concern in its implementation. The log program does not search for the PATH variable to locate <command> and error messages are terse. The log program causes <command> to take standard input from and write standard output and standard error to UNIX pipes. Some commands will not be able to operate in this environment; therefore, it is suggested that you use the script(1) command instead. UNIX shells will not issue prompts when run from log unless the shell is started with an explicit interactive switch (-i for most shells). For example, log foo.tmp /sbin/sh -i In the previous example, foo.tmp is the name of <logfile>. The log program intercepts end-of-file (usually Ctrl/d). Therefore programs which normally receive end-of-file as an exit command must exit by some other means. ERRORS
Log open error Explanation: The log program was unable to open <logfile>. Verify that the directory exists and that ownerships and permissions are set correctly. Exec Error Explanation: The log program was unable to execute <command>. Verify that you specified a full pathname for <command> and that <command> is an exe- cutable file. Fork Error Explanation: The log program was unable to create one of the processes it requires to log data. SEE ALSO
Commands: it(8), script(1) log(8)