Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Run Program from Bash CGI-Script Post 302491483 by DGPickett on Thursday 27th of January 2011 02:46:20 PM
Old 01-27-2011
Well, the xterm holds up the script from timely termination. Put it in a "nohup ... & 2>/dev/null". Remember it will want to extend a log nohup.out in $PWD. It might work better to export the DISPLAY, as I find -d sometimes does not. If vlc is X, why does it need an xterm?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run ksh script from cgi

Hi, I'm developing a system which requires me to run a ksh script from within a cgi script. What sort of syntax will I need to do this, I'm sure it's simple but can't find out how anywhere! Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hodges
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping a bash script for CGI

I hope its ok to start a new thread, I was going to use my existing one but thought a new one would better clarify things and provide better search for future reference. Well I have my bash program working now, all nice, user input validated, output formatted, everything is looking sexy. Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyj
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run cgi -script on Cygwin ?

All, I would like to run a cgi script in cygwin which i have installed in WinXP. My CYGWIN directory structure is /var/www/ drwxrwx---+ 2 user Users 0 Nov 23 16:24 cgi-bin drwxrwx---+ 3 user Users 0 Oct 22 17:21 htdocs drwxrwx---+ 3 user Users 0 Oct 22 17:22 icons and another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jambesh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Run a program many times

Hi I'm running a program many times with differents input. I mean that i run my_prog with some parameters and i wait till the end, then i start again another simulations with some others differents parameters. Is possible to make it automatic with a script bash. Maybe i need some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Files with CGI Bash Script

Hi. I could use some help with my problem. I am creating a website. One option on this website is to delete a specified file, say an image, when the user clicks on it. I want to do this with CGI. I believe bash will be the easiest since I will just type the command "rm file". I also do not know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JMooney5115
4 Replies

6. Programming

CGI Perl script to execute bash script- unable to create folder

Hi I have a bash script which takes parameters sh /tmp/gdg.sh -b BASE-NAME -n 1 -s /source/data -p /dest/data/archive -m ARC gdg.sh will scan the /source/data and will move the contents to /dest/data/archive after passing through some filters. Its working superb from bash I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run script through CGI?

Hi I have written a script and I want it to be run from web with the help of CGI. can you please guide me . below script is working fine if run from backend but not sure how I should run through web. #!/bin/bash string1=look string2=0 string3=.sdn.dnb echo -n "enter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies

8. Programming

Calling bash script from CGI

Hi, I am having two individual scripts Script 1): CGI script - is a simple script which trigger bash script Script 2): Bash script - is a script which execute which collects file system utilization information from all the Unix servers If I am executing CGI script manually from command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command through html+cgi in bash

Hi everyone, I want to kill process through the web, so I create html page with single bottom that run kill command in shell script with CGI. Here is html code: <td><form METHOD="GET" action="http://IP:port/cgi_bin/script.cgi" > <input type="submit" value= "Submit" > <INPUT name="q"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: indeed_1
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to convert my /bin/sh script with cgi and html to run it on browser!??

Hello, I want to run this script on my CentOS 6 via browser : ________________________________________________________________________________________________ #!/bin/sh echo Username? read MY_NAME echo Provisional file name? read MY_FILE echo File NAME you want to save? read MY_FILE2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: juta2020
16 Replies
nohup(1)						      General Commands Manual							  nohup(1)

NAME
nohup - Runs a utility ignoring hangups and quits SYNOPSIS
nohup utility [argument...] Note The C shell has a built-in version of the nohup command. If you are using the C shell, and want to guarantee that you are using the com- mand described here, you must specify the full path /usr/bin/nohup. See the csh(1) reference page for a description of the built-in com- mand. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: nohup: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
The name of a command to be invoked. Optional arguments required by the utility specified for invokation. DESCRIPTION
The nohup command runs utility, ignoring all hangups and QUIT signals. You can use this command to run programs in the background after logging off the system. To run a nohup command in the background, add an & (ampersand) to the end of the command. If nohup output is redirected to a terminal or is not redirected at all, the output is appended to the file nohup.out. If the file is cre- ated, the permission bits are set to Owner Read and Owner Write(600). If nohup.out is not writable in the current directory, the output is redirected to $HOME/nohup.out. If neither file can be created nor opened for appending, utility is not invoked. If standard error is a terminal, all output written to standard error is appended to the file receiving standard output. The nohup command accepts just one utility as an argument. To apply nohup to a pipeline or list of commands, enter the pipeline or list in a shell script file. Then run sh as utility using the following format: nohup sh -c file [Tru64 UNIX] You can also assign the shell file execute permission and run it as the utility in the form: nohup file NOTES
The term utility, rather than the term command, describes the argument to nohup because shell compound commands, pipelines, special built- in programs, and the like, cannot be handled directly. In addition, the term utility includes user application programs and shell scripts, not just the standard utilities. EXIT STATUS
The nohup command returns the following exit values: The specified utility was found, but could not be invoked. The error occurred in the nohup utility or the specified utility could not be found. The exit status is otherwise that of the utility. EXAMPLES
To leave a command running after logging out (sh only), enter: nohup find / -print & Shortly after you enter this, the following is displayed: 670 $ Sending output to nohup.out The process ID number changes to the background process started by the & (ampersand), in this case, 670. The $ (dollar sign) is the shell prompt. The message following informs you that the output from the find command is in the file nohup.out. Sending output... You can log out after you see these messages, even if the find command has not finished yet. If you are using csh, the built-in command nohup is executed instead of the system command. To execute the nohup system command, you must enter an absolute path. To do the same, but redirect the standard output to a different file, enter: nohup find / -print >filenames & This runs the find command and stores its output in a file named filenames. Now only the process ID and prompt are displayed. Wait for a second or two before logging out, because the nohup command takes a moment to start the command you specified. If you log out too quickly, utility may not run at all. Once utility has started, logging out does not affect it. To run more than one com- mand, use a shell script. For example, if you include the following shell script: comm -23 fi4 fi5 | comm -23 - fi6 | join -a1 - fi7 > comm.out and name it ncomm, you can run nohup for all of the commands in ncomm by entering: nohup sh ncomm If you assign ncomm Execute permission, you can obtain the same results by issuing the command: nohup ncomm To run this command in the background, enter: nohup ncomm & ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of nohup: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. Determines the search path that will be used to locate the command to be invoked. FILES
Standard output and standard error file for nohup. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), nice(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: sigaction(2) Standards: standards(5) nohup(1)