Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting words from one file in another file Post 302491439 by citaylor on Thursday 27th of January 2011 12:29:07 PM
Old 01-27-2011
Also untested, but pretty near :-)
Code:
for DAT in *.dat
do
CNT="`basename $DAT .dat`".cnt
DIC="`basename $DAT .dat`".dic
awk 'NR==FNR{dic[$1]++; next}dic[$1]{cnt[$1]++}END{ for(c in cnt) print cnt[c]; }' $DIC $DAT > $CNT
done

This User Gave Thanks to citaylor For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting words in a file

I'm trying to figure out a way to count the number of words in the follwing file: cal 2002 > file1 Is there anyway to do this without using wc but instead using the cut command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r0mulus
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting words then amending to a file

i want to count the number of words in a file and then redirect this to a file echo 'total number of words=' wc -users>file THis isnt working, anyone any ideas. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iago
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting words

if i have a long list of data, with every line beginning with an ip-address, like this: 62.165.8.187 - - "GET /bestandnaam.html HTTP/1.1" 200 5848 "http://www.domeinnaam.nl/bestandnaam.html" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)" how do i count which ip-adresses are mentioned... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FOBoy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting words

Hi Is there a way to count the no. of words in all files in directory. All are text files.I use wc -w but somehow i am not getting the rite answer. Is there an alternative. Thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
9 Replies

5. Programming

Counting the words in a file

Please find the below program. It contains the purpose of the program itself. /* Program : Write a program to count the number of words in a given text file */ /* Date : 12-June-2010 */ # include <stdio.h> # include <stdlib.h> # include <string.h> int main( int argc, char *argv ) {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in counting the no of repeated words with count in a file

Hi Pls help in solving my doubt.Iam having file like below file1.txt priya jenny jenny priya raj radhika priya bharti bharti Output required: I need a output like count of repeated words with name for ex: priya 3 jenny 2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of files that contain words stored in another file

Hi All, I have written a script on this but it does not do the requisite job. My requirement is this: 1. I have two kinds of files each with different extensions. One set of files are *.dat (6000 unique DAT files all in one directory) and another set *.dic files (6000 unique DIC files in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words in Input File with Words from a Master File

Hello, I have a complex problem. I have a file in which words have been joined together: Theboy ranslowly I want to be able to correctly split the words using a lookup file in which all the words occur: the boy ran slowly slow put child ly The lookup file which is meant for look up... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting occurrence of all words in a file

Hi, Given below is the input file: http://i53.tinypic.com/2vmvzb8.png Given below is what the output file should look like: http://i53.tinypic.com/1e6lfq.png I know how to count the occurrence of 1 word from a file, but not all of them. Can someone help please? An explanation on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r4v3n
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting concatenated words in input file with words from the same file

Dear all, I am working with names and I have a large file of names in which some words are written together (upto 4 or 5) and their corresponding single forms are also present in the word-list. An example would make this clear annamarie mariechristine johnsmith johnjoseph smith john smith... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
8 Replies
DWWW-REFRESH-CACHE(8)						      Debian						     DWWW-REFRESH-CACHE(8)

NAME
dwww-refresh-cache - rebuilds dwww cache directory SYNOPSIS
dwww-refresh-cache DESCRIPTION
dwww-refresh-cache is a simple shell script, which deletes outdated cache files and rebuilds contents of the dwww cache directory /var/cache/dwww. In default installation, the script is called from /etc/cron.daily/dwww, so the cache is refreshed every day. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
DWWW_KEEPDAYS Specifies, how many days documents that have not been accessed should be kept in the cache. Default is 10 days. DWWW_QUICKFIND_DB Location of the installed packages and programs cache file, generated with help of dwww-quickfind(8). Default is /var/cache/dwww/quickfind.dat. DWWW_DOCBASE2PKG_DB Location of the cache file, which maps installed doc-base files to packages names, used by the dwww-build-menu(8). Default is /var/cache/dwww/docbase2pkg.dat. FILES
/etc/dwww/dwww.conf Configuration file for dwww(7). /var/cache/dwww dwww cache directory. /etc/cron.daily/dwww. dwww daily cron job SEE ALSO
dwww(7), dwww-build-menu(8), dwww-cache(8), dwww-find(8). AUTHOR
Robert Luberda. See dwww(7), for copyrights and stuff. dwww 1.11.1 February 15th, 2009 DWWW-REFRESH-CACHE(8)