Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing two variables to function Post 302491329 by lio123 on Thursday 27th of January 2011 06:51:58 AM
Old 01-27-2011
Passing two variables to function

HI ,I am a new in Bash and ,I dont know how to pass a second parameter to this fuction,if the name of the passed argument is num works fine,but if I try to pass secondNum,dont recognized it
thanks
Code:

function check()
{
 if(($(echo ${#num}) == 0 ))
   then
    echo No arguments passed.Try again
 else
    rem=$(echo $num | tr -d [0-9])
    lenght=$(echo ${#rem})
      if(( $lenght > 0))
        then
       echo "$num is not a number"
      else
       echo "$num is a number"
       fi
 fi
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Argument to Function

May i know how to pass an argument to a function in a shell script? Sorry, i din stated that it is in a shell script in my previous post. Means: checkStatus() { ........... } read status; I wanna use the status in the function checkstatus, how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables

Hi, Is there any way to pass variable to a sed script.For awk we have -v option.like that do we have any way to pass variable to a sed script from a awk script or from normal script? Thanx, sounder (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sounder123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed function in a script ....

Hello , I have a script named testscript.sh wherein I have two variables $var and $final (both of which contain a number) I have a sed write function inside this script as follows: sed '1,2 w somefile.txt' fromfile.txt Now , in the above i want to pass $var and $final instead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing 2 variables

Hi All, I need to pass 2 variables name 'vamskt' and 'vamsi'. Here is my question: delete from gpi.usergroup where usg_user_id in ('vamskt'); delete from gpi.userroles where uro_user_id in ('vamskt'); delete from gpi.user where usr_id in ('vamskt'); insert into gpi.user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvamsikiran
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the parameters using a function

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting required some help in passing the parameter value to the shell script. I am writing a shell script, in the script I have created two functions as below. first function get_trend_ids () { Here I am connecting to the database and getting all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables

I have below data: DAY1=10202013 I am trying below but not getting the desired output: COUNT=1 DATE=DAY$COUNT echo "Date is $DATE" However output I am getting is: Date is DAY1 I wanted the output as: Date is 10202013 I tried following as well: DAY1=10202013 COUNT=1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockyr1985
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to a sed function

Hi everyone, I've re-written some of our scripts to use more functions and I've run into a situation where passing a variable to a sed function does not work. My function is a one-liner sed command as follows: function StringSub() { sed -i "${1}/${2}/${3}/${4}" ${5} } Where ${1} through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: richardsantink
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function

Hello All, I would like to ask help from you on how to pass variable value from a function that has been called inside the function. I have created below and put the variables in " ". Is there another way I can do this? Thank you in advance. readtasklist() { while read -r mod ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
1 Replies
XCHANGEDEVICEDONTPRO(3) 												   XCHANGEDEVICEDONTPRO(3)

NAME
XChangeDeviceDontPropagateList, XGetDeviceDontPropagateList - query or change the dont-propagate-list for extension devices SYNOPSIS
#include <X11/extensions/XInput.h> int XChangeDeviceDontPropagateList( Display *display, Window window, int count, XEventClass *event_list, int mode); XEventClass* XGetDeviceDontPropagateList( Display *display, Window window, int *count); display Specifies the connection to the X server. window Specifies the window whose dont-propagate-list is to be queried or modified. event_list Specifies a pointer to a list of event classes. mode Specifies the mode.You can pass AddToList, or DeleteFromList. count Specifies the number of event classes in the list. DESCRIPTION
The XChangeDeviceDontPropagateList request modifies the list of events that should not be propagated to ancestors of the event window. This request allows extension events to be added to or deleted from that list. By default, all events are propagated to ancestor windows. Once modified, the list remains modified for the life of the window. Events are not removed from the list because the client that added them has terminated. Suppression of event propagation is not allowed for all input extension events. If a specified event class is one that cannot be suppressed, a BadClass error will result. Events that can be suppressed include DeviceKeyPress, DeviceKeyRelease, DeviceButtonPress, DeviceButtonRelease, DeviceMotionNotify, ProximityIn, and ProximityOut. XChangeDeviceDontPropagateList can generate a BadDevice, BadClass, or BadValue error. The XGetDeviceDontPropagateList request queries the list of events that should not be propagated to ancestors of the event window. XGetDeviceDontPropagateList can generate a BadClass or BadWindow error. DIAGNOSTICS
BadDevice An invalid device was specified. The specified device does not exist or has not been opened by this client via XOpenInputDevice. This error may also occur if some other client has caused the specified device to become the X keyboard or X pointer device via the XChangeKeyboardDevice or XChangePointerDevice requests. BadValue Some numeric value falls outside the range of values accepted by the request. Unless a specific range is specified for an argument, the full range defined by the argument's type is accepted. Any argument defined as a set of alternatives can generate this error. BadWindow An invalid window id was specified. BadClass An invalid event class was specified. 03/09/2013 XCHANGEDEVICEDONTPRO(3)