Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rsync via ssh Problem
Operating Systems Solaris rsync via ssh Problem Post 302490940 by sly_dunbar on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 08:24:51 AM
Old 01-26-2011
it was available/present on all machines, even the same version. But apparently it also needs to be in the exact same path/location on the machines. Being in th user's path does not seem to be enough.

---------- Post updated at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:18 AM ----------

Ok, BUT:

Only syncing from the solaris machine to a ubuntu machine works now. Meaning: If I issue the command when I am on the solaris machine it works.

When I am on the ubuntu machine I get an error:
-----
bash: rsync: command not found
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: remote command not found (code 127) at io.c(454) [sender=2.6.9]
-----

Could this be because somehow bash or something is loaded when I log in to the solaris machine which sets the PATH. But when issuing the rsync request the Path is not set, because I am not logged in?

Anyone know what I mean?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsync problem

Hi, while runninc rsycnc I am getting following error rsync error: received SIGUSR1 or SIGINT (code 20) at rsync.c(229) any idea? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsync problem!!

I know double posting is not allowed... but I need urgent help on this question... so... please bear with me! I am having a problem with rsyncing 2 directories in my network. Here is the situation: 1. I have a directory tree on the 1 server say: SOURCE 2. I have to rsync this directory tree... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync problem

Hi, I wanna synchronize all the /etc settings from my previous server to new one. (Both of them are Debian Etch 4.0) I used this command: rsync -r -vz -e ssh someuser@myOldServer:/etc /etc & rsync -avz -e ssh someuser@myOldServer:/etc /etc These commands told me that everything occur perfectly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdousti
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems using rsync in Leopard with SSH... seeking solution/alternative

Precursor: ...it may sound like I'm at least somewhat comfortable with Unix, but I'm far from it. Layman's terms would be greatly appreciated :) Okay, so here's the situation. I created a website using iWeb, and I'm not using a .Mac account (you can sync website in one click if you do). Being... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: compulsiveguile
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

single quote problem with rsync

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie and hope that someone help me in this problem. I have a filename in LINUX with single quote like this: abs@hosttest:~/ABS/BETY/cygdrive/C/DECLARANOT 1.1.4/02 - ROCK/052 - GUNSROSES> dir You* -rw-r--r-- 1 abs users 2365881 2008-08-25 09:16 You're Crazy.mp3 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_boysito
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with rsync

Hi, I am copying files from one server to the other by rsync utilty. I am giving a list file to the rsync and i am writing it to the log also. The problem is that,rsync is not copying the order in which i have given files and links to the list. I can see it, through the log file. I am giving... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvenu88
7 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

rsync and ssh keys help

Not specifically a mac question, but it's what I am using. I am setting up some replication for some file shares using rsync. The problem is that I am being given a little bit of a twist - I'm supposed to use a non-admin account to do it with. I have 2 boxes - Master and Slave with 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kleinboy
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Rsync problem

Hi Guys does any know the cause of this error on rsync: tried transferring files to a remote server in a NFS share directory and i got that error, previously it was ok. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RobertG
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync from remote machine via ssh and sync by uisng find by modified time

Hi I have a requirement to rsync from remote to local machine via ssh and sync files that are changed in last n hours. pgrep to check if no other sync is running pgrep -f rsync.*/opt > /dev/null || rsync --bwlimit=10000 -avz --delete root@X.X.X.X:/var/source/ /opt/dest/ >> /home/log 2>&1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync over ssh

Hi UnixGurus Could you please help me with the below scenario. SERVER1=abc.ins.com SERVER2=exy.ins.com PATH=/home/oracle/backup/ USER=oracle I want to sync $PATH from $SERVER1 to $SERVER2. I used the below command and run the command from $SERVER1 /usr/bin/rsync -arv -e ssh $PATH... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cheers799
1 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)