Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kornshell grabbing value from file Post 302490740 by Perderabo on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 03:02:39 PM
Old 01-25-2011
I must not understand your requirement. I thought that did exactly that. Oh well maybe someone else can see what I missed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing lines out of a file based on a date

Hello, I'm new to this forum and am not exactly sure where to post this question, so I'll start here. I'm looking for a command or simple script that will read in a large flat file (contains 2005 data) and will output a new file based on a quarter. Within each row, position 87-90 is a julian... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsp18974
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script grabbing cvs file .....

how do I write a script to checkout a file in cvs and cat the file into a file in my home directory Commands are cd /home/smr/sandbox cvsroot choose option 1 cvs co filename cat filename > /home/smr/newfilename Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed grabbing the last line of a file

I can grab the first line w/ sed how do you grab the last line of a file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grabbing a value from an output file

I am executing a stored proc and sending the results in a log file. I then want to grab one result from the output parameters (bolded below, 2) so that I can store it in a variable which will then be called in another script. There are more details that get printed in the beginning of the log file,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grabbing filename from text file....should be easy!

Quick question...I'm trying to grab the .tif file name from this output from our fax server. What is the best way i can do this in a bash script? I have been looking at regular expressions with bash or using awk but having some trouble. thanks! The only output i want is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run my make file in Kornshell

Hello Forum Memebers, I have file with exension of .shsrc ie(startA.shsrc) .while iam trying to make ,its getting Ksh not found. file:startA.shsrc error:KSH not found the content about shell declaration in the korn shell is below. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inquiry on Grabbing info from file.

Here is another script I am trying to customize currently, this script is used to send me disk space information, but at the moment I have to enter all the servers in manually SERVER= "xxx bbb ccc" ect.. how can I script it so that the servers are called off a txt file versus me entering all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing the newest file, cleaner method?

Greetings, I'm doing a process whereby I need to search for all filenames containing a given bit of text and grab the newest file from what may be 20 results. In a script I'm writing, i've got a monster line to do the sort as follows: find /opt/work/reports/input -name "*$searchtarget*" |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karunamon
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing a chunk of text from a file

Hi, I have a Report.txt file. Say the contents of this file are : 1 2 3 4 5 7 df v g gf e r dfkf lsdk dslsdklsdk Report Start: xxxxxxdad asdffsdfsdfsdfasfasdffasdf sadfasdfsadffsfsdf Report End. sdfasdfasdf sdfasfdasdfasdfasdfasdf sadfasdfsdf I need to grab from Report Start... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing value from file and run command in ``

Hi ALL, How can I make a script take data from a file and execute the commands within `` in the file n put that that in a variable? for i in `cat file` do file=`grep -i key file` cp ${file} test done file /tmp/`date +y`log /tmp/unix`date +y`log (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3junior
1 Replies
grab(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 grab(3pm)

NAME
grab - Confine pointer and keyboard events to a window sub-tree SYNOPSIS
$widget->grab $widget->grabOption DESCRIPTION
This set of methods implement simple pointer and keyboard grabs for Tk. Tk's grabs are different than the grabs described in the Xlib documentation. When a grab is set for a particular window, Tk restricts all pointer events to the grab window and its descendants in Tk's window hierarchy. Whenever the pointer is within the grab window's subtree, the pointer will behave exactly the same as if there had been no grab at all and all events will be reported in the normal fashion. When the pointer is outside $widget's tree, button presses and releases and mouse motion events are reported to $widget, and window entry and window exit events are ignored. The grab subtree ``owns'' the pointer: windows outside the grab subtree will be visible on the screen but they will be insensitive until the grab is released. The tree of windows underneath the grab window can include top-level windows, in which case all of those top-level windows and their descendants will continue to receive mouse events during the grab. Two forms of grabs are possible: local and global. A local grab affects only the grabbing application: events will be reported to other applications as if the grab had never occurred. Grabs are local by default. A global grab locks out all applications on the screen, so that only the given subtree of the grabbing application will be sensitive to pointer events (mouse button presses, mouse button releases, pointer motions, window entries, and window exits). During global grabs the window manager will not receive pointer events either. During local grabs, keyboard events (key presses and key releases) are delivered as usual: the window manager controls which application receives keyboard events, and if they are sent to any window in the grabbing application then they are redirected to the focus window. During a global grab Tk grabs the keyboard so that all keyboard events are always sent to the grabbing application. The focus method is still used to determine which window in the application receives the keyboard events. The keyboard grab is released when the grab is released. Grabs apply to particular displays. If an application has windows on multiple displays then it can establish a separate grab on each display. The grab on a particular display affects only the windows on that display. It is possible for different applications on a single display to have simultaneous local grabs, but only one application can have a global grab on a given display at once. The grab methods take any of the following forms: $widget->grabCurrent Returns the current grab window in this application for $widget's display, or an empty string if there is no such window. $widget->grabs Returns a list whose elements are all of the windows grabbed by this application for all displays, or an empty string if the application has no grabs. Not implemented yet! $widget->grabRelease Releases the grab on $widget if there is one, otherwise does nothing. Returns an empty string. $widget->grab Sets a local grab on $widget. If a grab was already in effect for this application on $widget's display then it is automatically released. If there is already a local grab on $widget, then the command does nothing. Returns an empty string. $widget->grabGlobal Sets a global grab on $widget. If a grab was already in effect for this application on $widget's display then it is automatically released. If there is already a global grab on $widget, then the command does nothing. Returns an empty string. $widget->grabStatus Returns none if no grab is currently set on $widget, local if a local grab is set on $widget, and global if a global grab is set. BUGS
It took an incredibly complex and gross implementation to produce the simple grab effect described above. Given the current implementation, it isn't safe for applications to use the Xlib grab facilities at all except through the Tk grab procedures. If applications try to manipulate X's grab mechanisms directly, things will probably break. If a single process is managing several different Tk applications, only one of those applications can have a local grab for a given display at any given time. If the applications are in different processes, this restriction doesn't exist. KEYWORDS
grab, keyboard events, pointer events, window perl v5.14.2 2010-05-29 grab(3pm)