Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extract a block of text??
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract a block of text?? Post 302490713 by citaylor on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 02:24:16 PM
Old 01-25-2011
Ok, I can do the first thing...
Code:
 awk '{ if($0 ~ /EQUILIBRIUM GEOMETRY LOCATED/) { while($0 !~ /^\S*$/ && getline) { print $0; } } }' filename.txt

However I dont understand what you mean by "each of the columns of text should be seperated"....by what ? tabs, spaces (justified ?), commas ?

Cheers...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract block in file

I need to extract a particular block from a file whose locations are not known but the only identity is a word. For example in a file I have ABC asdklf asdfk FGH dfdfg asdlfk asdfl ... JHK (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
5 Replies

2. Programming

c program to extract text between two delimiters from some text file

needa c program to extract text between two delimiters from some text file. and then storing them in to diffrent variables ? text file like 0: abc.txt ========= aaaaaa|11111111|sssssssssss|333333|ddddddddd|34343454564|asass aaaaaa|11111111|sssssssssss|333333|ddddddddd|34343454564|asass... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kukretiabhi13
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract particular text

I executed a following sed command => echo "a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h" | sed 's/\/*$//g' a/b/c/d/e/f/g Now what if I want to extract "g" from "a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h" . That is second last string using SED. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shell_Learner
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract block of data and the error reason too. So so urgent

Hi , this is my first enty in our forum. Problem scenario: Using informatica tool am loding records from source DB to target DB. While loading some records getting rejected due to some reason. Informatica will capture those rejected records in session log file.now the session log ll be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract value from a text

Hi all, my problem is extract a value from a text, i mean, I have this text: > ala Nr of active alarms are: 16 ================================================================================================ Sever Specific Problem Cause Mo-Reference... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: marimovo
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract selective block from XML file

Hi, There's an xml file produced from a front-end tool as shown below: <INPUT DATABASE ="ORACLE" DBNAME ="UNIX" NAME ="FACT_TABLE" OWNERNAME ="DIPS"> <INPUTFIELD DATATYPE ="double" DEFAULTVALUE ="" DESCRIPTION ="" NAME ="STORE_KEY" PICTURETEXT ="" PORTTYPE ="INPUT" PRECISION ="15" SCALE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Awk] Extract block of with a particular pattern

Hi, I have some CVS log files, which are divided into blocks. Each block has many fields of information and I want to extract those blocks with a pattern. Here is the sample input. RCS file: /cvsroot/eclipse/org.eclipse.debug.core/core/org/eclipse/debug/core/DebugPlugin.java,v head: 1.174... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepk1611
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract block from a file?

I have siebel log file as following EventContext ....... 123 ....... SELECT ... .. EventConext <---- Question 1 , I should get this line 345 ...... SELECT <----- Question 2 , print this line Test..... <----- Question 2 , print this line .... <----- Question 2 , print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran123
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping text block by block by using for loop

Hei buddies, Need ur help once again. I have a file which has bunch of lines which starts from a fixed pattern and ends with another fixed pattern. I want to make use of these fixed starting and ending patterns to select the bunch, one at a time. The input file is as follows. Hi welcome... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a block of text

Hello all, I am working on a script which should parse a large file called input.txt which contains table definitions, index definitions and comments like these ones: ------------------------------------------------ -- DDL Statements for table "CMWSYS"."CMWD_TEC_SUIVI_TRT"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiki_riki_miki
12 Replies
fspec(4)							   File Formats 							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the system with non-standard tabs, (tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Such files must generally be converted to a standard format, frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate number of spaces, before they can be processed by system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets <: and :>. Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: ttabs The t parameter specifies the tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: o A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns. o A '-' followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns. o A '-' followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by t-8, or equivalently, t1,9,17,25, etc. The canned tabs that are recognized are defined by the tabs(1) command. ssize The s parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is prepended. mmargin The m parameter specifies a number of spaces to be prepended to each line. The value of margin must be an integer. d The d parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. e The e parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specifi- cation is encountered in the file. Default values, which are assumed for parameters not supplied, are t-8 and m0. If the s parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: * <:t5,10,15 s72:> * If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the d parameter. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1) SunOS 5.11 3 Jul 1990 fspec(4)