Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fun and easy awk question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers fun and easy awk question Post 302490670 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 12:21:37 PM
Old 01-25-2011
Can you give example lines from each file?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A easy question.

this is the simple question, please help me! the question is: how to send exactly 50 ICMP Echo request packets with 500 bytes of payload to 202.139.129.221? I tried to use ping -F 500 202.139.129.221, but it didn't work. Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikikaka
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy question about awk gsub

How does one escape the left bracket in awk? For example: | awk 'gsub (" I'm sure it's pretty simple, I'm just a noob. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy AWK question

Ive got some output in a file that looks exactly like this: 1 ----------- 1542 1 record(s) selected. How do I just extract that 1542 and drop it into another file or (preferrably) a variable (using a ksh script) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me if I have several files which each one it has this pattern name: name1.dat name2.dat name3.dat name4.dat name10.dat name11.dat name30.dat If I would like create one like: name_total.dat If I do: paste name*.dat > name_total.dat (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fun with awk

uggc://ra.jvxvcrqvn.bet/jvxv/EBG13 #!/usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { for (n=0;n<26;n++) { x=sprintf("%c",n+65); y=sprintf("%c",(n+13)%26+65) r=y; r=tolower(y) } } { b = "" for (n=1; x=substr($0,n,1); n++) b = b ((y=r)?y:x) print b } ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: colemar
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

More fun with awk

#!/usr/bin/ksh ls -l $@ | awk ' /^-/ { l = 5*log($5) h = sprintf("%7d %-72s",$5,$8) print "\x1B ls command with histogram of file sizes. The histogram scale is logaritmic, to avoid very short bars for smaller files or very long bars for bigger files. Screenshot: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: colemar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Help: quick and easy question may be: How to use &&

Hi Guru's. I am trying to use to check if $5 is greater than 80 & if not 100, then to print $0 : awk '{ if ($5>80) && if ($5 != 100) print $0} But getting error: >bdf1|sed 's/%//g'|awk '{ if ($5>80) && if ($5 != 100) print $0}' syntax error The source line is 1. The error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk easy question

So, I have the following code: cat testfile.txt | awk -F, '{ print $1" "$2" "$3" "$4" "$5 }' | read DOC ORG NAME echo "$DOC" echo "$ORG" echo "$NAME" My testfile.txt looks something like the following: Document Type,Project Number,Org ID,Invoice Number It will eventually be more... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parrakarry
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk diamond code golf (just for fun!)

Hey guys, This is purely just a little bit of fun with awk. I realize this this isn't that constructive so please remove if need be. Your goal: Create a one line awk script that generates a diamond shape of any size. Both the size of the diamond (measured by its middle line) and the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pilnet101
7 Replies
head(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   head(1)

NAME
head - give first few lines SYNOPSIS
count] [file ...] Obsolescent: [file ...] DESCRIPTION
prints on standard output the first count lines of each of the specified files, or of the standard input. If count is omitted it defaults to 10. If multiple files are specified, outputs before each file a line of this form: file Options The quantity of output is measured in bytes. The number of units of output. This option is provided for backward compatibility (see below) and is mutually exclusive of all other options. The quantity of output is measured in lines; this is the default. The number of lines (default) or bytes output. count is an unsigned decimal integer. If (or is not given, the default quantity is 10. This option provides the same func- tionality as the option, but in a more standard way. Use of the option is recommended where portability between systems is important. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text within file as single and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
The length of the input lines is limited to bytes. SEE ALSO
tail(1), cat(1), more(1), pg(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
head(1)