Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian creating a boot CD (iso file) to debian5 Post 302490657 by Corona688 on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 11:40:22 AM
Old 01-25-2011
What precisely does mkbootdisk do for you? A generic rescue disk usually works great for me, never needed one fine-tuned to my distro.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Problem installing Debian5 on an ultra sparc machine

Comments/Problems: Machine boots from CDROM, starts SILO Version 1.4.13, display welcome message (welcome to Debian GNU/Linux lenny! built on 20081218-10:06 ). boot: Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel Loaded kernel version 2.6.26 Loading initial ramdisk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtk
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Creating WAN boot Server help

I have a Jumpstart server. It does not have Apache on there. I have not found a step by step guide on how to install a WAN boot server. I already have all my custom files from my Jumpstart Server and the flash as well. I just want to test it over the WAN and see if I can get it to work. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
2 Replies

3. Linux

Creating .iso from DVD problem ( looking for alternatives / suggestions )

I want to be able to copy DVD disks directly to an ISO file from the command line (via bash script). I have such a script that I have refined over time that works quite well about 80% of the time. About two DVD's out of ten will not burn to an iso file, and the script hangs on one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvsrvcs
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

How to make boot.iso image from rhel6 installation dvd iso ?

Hello Everyone, Can anyone let me know how to make minimal boot.iso from rhl6 installation dvd iso image. I have a dvd image with me but i want to make just a minimal boot media. Somehow it is not shipped with dvd iso. I know we can download boot.iso from redhat site but is there any anyway we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating a Custom ISO with Options

Here is the scenario: At work I have been ask to create a custom ISO using UBUNTU as the chosen distro, install our prerequisted packages and present the customer with a choice of options of enabling and disabling services and just in general custom choices that I want to present to the user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating chroot environment with an ISO file.

I decided to try creating a chroot environment with a BT5r2 iso file. I'm just wanting to run Backtrack from inside Debian without having to reboot into my other partition or use vmware. I found some documentation on how to do this with BT4 at this link: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Creating soalris 9 ISO image with use of downloaded OS

Hi Folks, I have downloaded OS on one of my server and i want to create bootable solaris 9 ISO image with use of this...I need to use this image to other server.,Could you please let us know how we will create ISO image with below OS image.. # cd solaris_9 # ls -alrt total 128 drwxr-xr-x ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: susindram
3 Replies

8. SCO

Need emergency boot floopy or 5.0.5 .iso file

We have old SCO Openserver 5.0.5. and its was running out of disk space on root disk - error 142 /2. I tried to move some files to another partition with space, but I ran into issue as I moved /opt/K and /opt/P. Now when the servers boots it fails and goes into debug mode. I don't have a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grips03
4 Replies

9. Linux

Creating /boot partition for LVM VG

Hi, I have a server booted into sysresccd (mini-linux OS) with 1 40 GB disk attached I am trying to create a volume group and restore another server into the new one However, when I try to create a partition for /boot it seems that my VG in LVM is not recognized anymore These are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
2 Replies
MKBOOTDISK(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     MKBOOTDISK(8)

NAME
mkbootdisk - creates a stand-alone boot floppy for the running system SYNOPSIS
mkbootdisk [--version] [--noprompt] [--verbose] [--device devicefile] [--size size] [--kernelargs <args>] [--iso] kernel DESCRIPTION
mkbootdisk creates a boot floppy appropriate for the running system. The boot disk is entirely self-contained, and includes an initial ramdisk image which loads any necessary SCSI modules for the system. The created boot disk looks for the root filesystem on the device sug- gested by /etc/fstab. The only required argument is the kernel version to put onto the boot floppy. OPTIONS
--device devicefile The boot image is created on devicefile. If --device is not specified, /dev/fd0 is used. If devicefile does not exist mkinitrd cre- ates a 1.44Mb floppy image using devicefile as the filename. --noprompt Normally, mkbootdisk instructs the user to insert a floppy and waits for confirmation before continuing. If --noprompt is specified, no prompt is displayed. --verbose Instructs mkbootdisk to talk about what it's doing as it's doing it. Normally, there is no output from mkbootdisk. --iso Instructs mkbootdisk to make a bootable ISO image as devicefile. --version Displays the version of mkbootdisk and exits. --kernelargs args Adds args to the arguments appended on the kernel command line. If this is not specified mkbootdisk uses grubby to parse the argu- ments for the default kernel from grub.conf, if possible. --size size Uses size (in kilobytes) as the size of the image to use for the boot disk. If this is not specified, mkbootdisk will assume a standard 1.44Mb floppy device. SEE ALSO
grubby(8) dracut(8) AUTHOR
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Tue Mar 31 1998 MKBOOTDISK(8)