Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to test input variable is a string in a select loop Post 302490437 by Straitsfan on Monday 24th of January 2011 08:12:43 PM
Old 01-24-2011
Thanks Chubler_XL!

I have another question, if I may -- I apologize if it's an obvious answer -- still learning. Why two different variables in the loop, $file and REPLY, just to make this perfectly clear.

And by the way, it doesn't echo invalid choice if I input a non vaild answer -- it just breaks out of the script and returns me to the prompt.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select only the most frequent instances of a variable string in a file?

I've got a web access file that I want to grep (or awk or perl or whatever will work!) out the most frequent instances of unique IP entries. Meaning the file looks something like this: I'd like to run a sort or grep (or whatever) that will only select out the lines from IP's that had the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevinmccallum
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the Pattern Search string as Input Variable

guys, I need to know how to assing pattern matched string as an input command variable. Here it goes' My script is something like this. ./routing.sh <Server> <enable|disable> ## This Script takes an input <Server> variable from this line of the script ## echo $1 | egrep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding string variable dynamically in for loop

Hi, I need to generate the text name dynamically in for loop, ex, VAR_COPY_FILE1= file path 1 VAR_COPY_FILE2= file path 2 VAR_COPY_FILE3= file path 3 for i in 1 2 3 do if then "do some process here" fi done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msubash26
3 Replies

6. Solaris

how i can input string from variable

hello every body my system is solaris 8 and my problem is i have a lot of user to change password so i'm key password every user and i want to input password from variable my script grep xxx shadow |while read a do passwd $a done #new password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infjustice
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

append to same string variable in loop

I want to append values to same string variable inside a recursive function that I have .. I do not want to write to any file but use a variable.. Can anyone please help with it? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prev
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

hlp.Can I Input string from variable?

My Os is Solaris 10, i want to create user after created i use #passwd user1 new password : confirm password : so i typing password into input box by manual but i need bring username input into input box by automatic can somebody help me plz. if you misunderstand or help me can you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: infjustice
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable concatenation through loop problem

Hi Team!! Please can anyone tell me why the following line does not work properly? str3+=$str2 it seems that str3 variable does not keep its value in order to be concatenated in the next iteration! Thus when i print the result of the line above it returns the str2 value What i want to do is to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detail on For loop for multiple file input and bash variable usage

Dear mentors, I just need little explanation regarding for loop to give input to awk script for file in `ls *.txt |sort -t"_" -k2n,2`; do awk script $file done which sorts file in order, and will input one after another file in order to awk script suppose if I have to input 2 or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies
which(1)							   User Commands							  which(1)

NAME
which - locate a command; display its pathname or alias SYNOPSIS
which [filename...] DESCRIPTION
which takes a list of names and looks for the files which would be executed had these names been given as commands. Each argument is expanded if it is aliased, and searched for along the user's path. Both aliases and path are taken from the user's .cshrc file. FILES
~/.cshrc source of aliases and path values /usr/bin/which ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
A diagnostic is given for names which are aliased to more than a single word, or if an executable file with the argument name was not found in the path. NOTES
which is not a shell built-in command; it is the UNIX command, /usr/bin/which BUGS
Only aliases and paths from ~/.cshrc are used; importing from the current environment is not attempted. Must be executed by csh(1), since only csh knows about aliases. To compensate for ~/.cshrc files in which aliases depend upon the prompt variable being set, which sets this variable to NULL. If the ~/.cshrc produces output or prompts for input when prompt is set, which may produce some strange results. SunOS 5.10 26 Sep 1992 which(1)