Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help writing pci firmware
Top Forums Programming help writing pci firmware Post 302490399 by fpmurphy on Monday 24th of January 2011 06:16:48 PM
Old 01-24-2011
NeurOn, please compose your thoughts so that people do not waste their valuable time trying to decipher what you mean. Ongoing vagueness on your part is not appreciated.

Before anybody on this forum can ever begin to assist you, you need to decide what firmware your proposed driver code is going to run on, how you are going to program the firmware, and what hardware your low-level PCI driver is going to work with.

Oh, and which particular PCI standard are you planning to develop against

---------- Post updated at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:07 PM ----------

BTW, have you figured out which type of PCI bus is in your PC?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

WLAN PCI Cards

Hi! I just wanted to know what network cards are supported in FreeBSD. I have looked at the list of supported cards but I can't find any of them in the stores. Is the list not updated, I would really preciate info about where (in EU, Sweden) I can buy them. /Peter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barfly.se
2 Replies

2. Solaris

rs232 pci-card

hello mates, do you know a manufactor for rs232 serial pci cards for the sparc architecture? it seems that there is no original product from sun for that purpose. strange, isn't it? problem is that i have a V250 with only one db9 rs232 serial port, and i need it for a modem connection, but i also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pressy
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Pci Id

How do I get the PCI ID for my Realtek adapter? It's a Solaris x86 installation. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuultak
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bad pci slot?

Hi, im having a problem installing my pci wireless card. Im using knoppix, but my problem is with the mobo i think. im using an older laptop, toshiba satellite 2540 and when i plug in the card i get lights on sometimes. this means its getting power right. so then to install the card into the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestra
0 Replies

5. Solaris

How to look for open pci slots

I'm looking for open PCI slots in our array of sun boxes. I need help on how to distinguish if there's an open slot or not using prtdiag and prtconf. Is there a better tool for this? TIA. Here's my prtdiag -v | grep pci: pci 66 PCI5 SUNW,qlc-pci1077,2312 (scsi-+ ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: revzalot
9 Replies

6. Linux

PCI Card recognized

I installed PCI Card HP SC44Ge - SAS1068E on my linux CentOS 5.4 is there a way to find out if the PCI is properly installed and recognized by linux. lspci is enough? just to add that PCI card is connected to a tape... also how can I find out driver and firmware version? thanks a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

7. Solaris

available PCI slots on v440

How do I find any available PCI slots on a v440? When I run prtconf, I get the following output? But I am not able to make out whether all the PCI slots are used. ================================= IO Devices ================================= Bus Freq Brd Type MHz Slot ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
1 Replies

8. Slackware

converting mouse to pci

Need to free up a usb port for webcam. What does xorg.conf look like in order to work if I move mouse to PCI port via a converter plug? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slak0
1 Replies

9. Hardware

Lspci: PCI Devices?

hey everyone, just a general question. I did an lspci on my home computer, and it got me thinking... When I hear pci..I think of the physical slots on your motherboard. usually beige in color.. But the list returned to me is of atleast 20 items. None of which, (besides the graphics card) is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
3 Replies

10. Hardware

Could USB ever take over PCI

Internally speaking, for your motherboard bus. Would it be possible for a usb standard to be used in place of the PCI or PCIe bus that is now nearly standard on all PC's? If not, why wouldn't this work? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
8 Replies
ARCMSR(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						 ARCMSR(4)

NAME
arcmsr -- Areca Technology Corporation SATA/SAS RAID controller SYNOPSIS
arcmsr* at pci? dev ? function ? DESCRIPTION
The arcmsr driver provides support for the PCI-X and PCI Express RAID controllers from Areca Technology Corporation: - ARC-1110 PCI-X 4 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1110ML PCI-X 4 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1120 PCI-X 8 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1120ML PCI-X 8 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1130 PCI-X 12 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1130ML PCI-X 12 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1160 PCI-X 16 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1160ML PCI-X 16 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1170 PCI-X 24 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1200 Rev A PCI Express 2 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1202 PCI Express 2 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1210 PCI Express 4 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1220 PCI Express 8 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1230 PCI Express 12 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1230ML PCI Express 12 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1231ML PCI Express 12 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1260 PCI Express 16 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1260ML PCI Express 16 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1261ML PCI Express 16 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1280 PCI Express 24 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1280ML PCI Express 24 Port SATA RAID Controller - ARC-1680 PCI Express 8 Port SAS RAID Controller - ARC-1680LP PCI Express 8 Port SAS RAID Controller - ARC-1680i PCI Express 8 Port SAS RAID Controller - ARC-1680x PCI Express 8 Port SAS RAID Controller - ARC-1681 PCI-X 8 Port SAS RAID Controller These controllers support RAID levels 0, 1, 1E, 3, 5, 6, and JBOD using either SAS or SATA II drives. arcmsr supports management and monitoring of the controller through the bioctl(8) and envstat(8) commands. Please note, however, that to use some features that require special privileges, such as creating/removing hot-spares, pass-through disks or RAID volumes will require to have the password disabled in the firmware; otherwise a Permission denied error will be reported by bioctl(8). When a RAID 1 or 1+0 volume is created, either through the bioctl(8) command or controller's firmware, the volume won't be accessible until the initialization is done. A way to get access to the sd(4) device that corresponds to that volume without rebooting, is to issue the fol- lowing command (once the initialization is finished): $ scsictl scsibus0 scan any any The arcmsr driver will also report to the kernel log buffer any error that might appear when handling firmware commands, such as used by the bioctl(8) command. EVENTS
The arcmsr driver is able to send events to powerd(8) if a volume or any drive connected to the volume is not online. The state-changed event will be sent to the /etc/powerd/scripts/sensor_drive script when such condition happens. SEE ALSO
intro(4), pci(4), scsi(4), sd(4), bioctl(8), envstat(8), powerd(8), scsictl(8) HISTORY
The arcmsr driver first appeared in NetBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
The arcmsr driver was originally written for OpenBSD by David Gwynne. It was ported to NetBSD and extended by Juan Romero Pardines. BSD
March 3, 2008 BSD