Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to test input variable is a string in a select loop Post 302490367 by Chubler_XL on Monday 24th of January 2011 04:38:58 PM
Old 01-24-2011
The shell variable REPLY contains what the user selected from the menu eg 1,2,E,Q or M.

The variable file contains the filename they selected or blank if they type a number or letter not on the menu.

So you can do

Code:
select file in ~/vendorlists/*
do
    case $REPLY in
         E|M|Q) ACTION=$REPLY; break ;;
    esac
    if [ -z "$file" ]
    then
         echo "Invalid choice"
    else
         open ~/vendorlists/$file
         break
    fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select only the most frequent instances of a variable string in a file?

I've got a web access file that I want to grep (or awk or perl or whatever will work!) out the most frequent instances of unique IP entries. Meaning the file looks something like this: I'd like to run a sort or grep (or whatever) that will only select out the lines from IP's that had the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevinmccallum
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the Pattern Search string as Input Variable

guys, I need to know how to assing pattern matched string as an input command variable. Here it goes' My script is something like this. ./routing.sh <Server> <enable|disable> ## This Script takes an input <Server> variable from this line of the script ## echo $1 | egrep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding string variable dynamically in for loop

Hi, I need to generate the text name dynamically in for loop, ex, VAR_COPY_FILE1= file path 1 VAR_COPY_FILE2= file path 2 VAR_COPY_FILE3= file path 3 for i in 1 2 3 do if then "do some process here" fi done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msubash26
3 Replies

6. Solaris

how i can input string from variable

hello every body my system is solaris 8 and my problem is i have a lot of user to change password so i'm key password every user and i want to input password from variable my script grep xxx shadow |while read a do passwd $a done #new password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infjustice
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

append to same string variable in loop

I want to append values to same string variable inside a recursive function that I have .. I do not want to write to any file but use a variable.. Can anyone please help with it? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prev
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

hlp.Can I Input string from variable?

My Os is Solaris 10, i want to create user after created i use #passwd user1 new password : confirm password : so i typing password into input box by manual but i need bring username input into input box by automatic can somebody help me plz. if you misunderstand or help me can you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: infjustice
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable concatenation through loop problem

Hi Team!! Please can anyone tell me why the following line does not work properly? str3+=$str2 it seems that str3 variable does not keep its value in order to be concatenated in the next iteration! Thus when i print the result of the line above it returns the str2 value What i want to do is to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detail on For loop for multiple file input and bash variable usage

Dear mentors, I just need little explanation regarding for loop to give input to awk script for file in `ls *.txt |sort -t"_" -k2n,2`; do awk script $file done which sorts file in order, and will input one after another file in order to awk script suppose if I have to input 2 or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies
mitem_value(3X) 														   mitem_value(3X)

NAME
mitem_value - set and get menu item values SYNOPSIS
#include <menu.h> int set_item_value(ITEM *item, bool value); bool item_value(const ITEM *item); DESCRIPTION
If you turn off the menu option O_ONEVALUE (e.g., with set_menu_opts or menu_opts_off; see menu_opts(3X)), the menu becomes multi-valued; that is, more than one item may simultaneously be selected. In a multi_valued menu, you can used set_item_value to select the given menu item (second argument TRUE) or deselect it (second argument FALSE). RETURN VALUE
The function set_item_value returns one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). E_REQUEST_DENIED The menu driver could not process the request. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), menu(3X). NOTES
The header file <menu.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V menu library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. mitem_value(3X)