Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File name should not be captured if still copying Post 302490081 by jlliagre on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 10:34:21 PM
Old 01-23-2011
If you can't control the published file extension (i.e. the .tmp suggestion), you might check if the file is still open with the fuser command and discard any file in the o (open) state.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Reading and Manipulating captured packets (pflog file)

Hey, I currently have a set of captured sessions thru ethereal, saved in pflog files, basically its a tcpdump, which i need to go thru and sort the applications/protocols in order of the times they were used. I also need to change the headers of the packets, basically the source and destination... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PenguinDevil
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Informix function return value needs to be captured in shell script

I need to run a 4ge from within my shell script and capture the string value that is being returned into a unix variable. I have tried the back ticks to no avail. I know it is returning because I did get the returned value to go to my screen at one point.. What I have is: sendlist =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeniferz
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Strange difference in file size when copying LARGE file..

Hi, Im trying to take a database backup. one of the files is 26 GB. I am using cp -pr to create a backup copy of the database. after the copying is complete, if i do du -hrs on the folders i saw a difference of 2GB. The weird fact is that the BACKUP folder was 2 GB more than the original one! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

return code not captured

Hi all, We have a script in our Unix box(HP-UX 11.11) which is invoked as script1.sh param1 param2 >>${logfile} script2.sh "param" Actually the script2 is also called from the same line. There is no semicolon between the 2 calls. I also checked the octal dump. What happens here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command for copying the contents of other file replacing it another file on specifc pattern

We have 2 file XML files - FILE1.XML and FILE2.xml - we need copy the contents of FILE1.XML and replace in FILE2.xml pattern "<assignedAttributeList></assignedAttributeList>" FILE1.XML 1. <itemList> 2. <item type="Manufactured"> 3. <resourceCode>431048</resourceCode> 4. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balrajg
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Output in bash script not captured in variable

I'm tring to write down a simple script that would execute a command and wait until it returns a specific result. This is what i did: bjobs_out=`bjobs` while ]; do bjobs_out=`bjobs` sleep 6 done It seems to work until the command 'jobs' return the list of jobs in execution, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifedj
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with searching for a file in a directory and copying the contents of that file in a new file

Hi guys, I am a newbie here :wall: I need a script that can search for a file in a directory and copy the contents of that file in a new file. Please help me. :confused: Thanks in advance~ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zel2zel
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcpdump script to parse "packers captured" details

I want a script that would do as:- a) gives me packet capture account for each time it runs. b) be able to run at a particular time for specific period time duration (1 min). c) for each time it runs it saves the time / day. Is there a way where i can capture the details as seen in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazerz
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a file to multiple other files using a text file as input

Hello, I have a file called COMPLIST as follows that contains 4 digit numbers.0002 0003 0010 0013 0015 0016 0022 0023 0024 0025 0027 0030 0031 0032 0033 0035 0038 0041 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sph90457
3 Replies
FUSER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  FUSER(1)

NAME
fuser -- list IDs of all processes that have one or more files open SYNOPSIS
fuser [-cfkmu] [-M core] [-N system] [-s signal] file ... DESCRIPTION
The fuser utility writes to stdout the PIDs of processes that have one or more named files open. For block and character special devices, all processes using files on that device are listed. A file is considered open by a process if it was explicitly opened, is the working directory, root directory, jail root directory, active executable text, kernel trace file or the controlling terminal of the process. If -m option is specified, the fuser utility will also look through mmapped files. The following options are available: -c Treat files as mount point and report on any files open in the file system. -f The report must be only for named files. -k Send signal to reported processes (SIGKILL by default). -m Search through mmapped files too. -u Write the user name associated with each process to stderr. -M Extract values associated with the name list from the specified core instead of the default /dev/kmem. -N Extract the name list from the specified system instead of the default, which is the kernel image the system has booted from. -s Use given signal name instead of default SIGKILL. The following symbols, written to stderr will indicate how files is used: r The file is the root directory of the process. c The file is the current workdir directory of the process. j The file is the jail-root of the process. t The file is the kernel tracing file for the process. x The file is executable text of the process. y The process use this file as its controlling tty. m The file is mmapped. w The file is open for writing. a The file is open as append only (O_APPEND was specified). d The process bypasses fs cache while writing to this file (O_DIRECT was specified). s Shared lock is hold. e Exclusive lock is hold. EXIT STATUS
The fuser utility returns 0 on successful completion and >0 otherwise. EXAMPLES
The command: ``fuser -fu .'' writes to standard output the process IDs of processes that are using the current directory and writes to stderr an indication of how those processes are using the directory and user names associated with the processes that are using this directory. SEE ALSO
fstat(1), ps(1), systat(1), iostat(8), pstat(8), vmstat(8) STANDARDS
The fuser utility is expected to conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2004 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The fuser utility appeared in FreeBSD 9.0. AUTHORS
The fuser utility and this manual page was written by Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Since fuser takes a snapshot of the system, it is only correct for a very short period of time. When working via kvm(3) interface the report will be limited to filesystems the fuser utility knows about (currently only cd9660, devfs, nfs, ntfs, nwfs, udf, ufs and zfs). BSD
May 13, 2011 BSD