Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting arithmetic from csh variable passed to awk Post 302489955 by kristinu on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 12:49:53 AM
Old 01-23-2011
arithmetic from csh variable passed to awk

I have the following code in a csh script

I want to pass the value of the variable sigmasq to the awk script so that I can divide $0 by the value of sigmasq

Code:
          grep "Rms Value" $f.log                       \
            | awk  '{   sub(/[^:]*:[0-9]*\.[ \t]*/,x);  \
                        print $0/sigmasq                \
                    }' > $f.csmis

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable passed to awk

Anybody know what's wrong with this syntax? awk -v job="$job" 'BEGIN { FS="|"} {print $1,$2," ",$4," ",$3\n,$5,"\n"}' list It's keeping give me this message: awk: syntax error near line 1 awk: bailing out near line 1 It seems awk has problem with my BEGIN command. Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable passed to awk

Does anybody know how to print a variable passed to awk command? awk -F"|" 'BEGIN {print $job,"\n","Question \n"} {print $1,$2$4," ",$3}' "job=$job1" file1 I am trying to pass job the variable job1. the output is blank. ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

move a variable value from csh to awk ...

Guys, following is my issue: ------------------------ #!/bin/csh # specify a counter @ k = 1 # loop while ($k < 3) # read all text file with a specific number less than 3 in the last column of a record foreach file ( *.txt) # capture the line by passing the column... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: znbhatti
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

My variable cannot be passed through into my path

Hi, Can you please help. I am scripting in sh and I am trying to simply copy one directory to another but for some reason my variables are not recognised? echo "The latest version of the program is being found......." cd $SOFTWARE/src/$progname version=`ls $SOFTWARE/src/$progname | grep... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh arithmetic ?

Hello, Could someone explain how this one is possible: # @ x = 10 - 11 + 3 # echo $x -4 I know that writing script using csh is bad idea, but I need to write few lines. thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

In the sh file variable is not being passed on.

I am having difficulties with the fllowing script: !/bin/sh voicemaildir=/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/$1/$2/INBOX/ echo `date` ':' $voicemaildir >> /var/log/voicemail-notify.log for audiofile in `ls $voicemaildir/*.wav`; do transcriptfile=${audiofile/wav/transcript} ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghurty
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic calculation in variable

Hi, I am trying to do an addition to a value stored in a variable... var1=`grep -n "match" sample.txt|cut -d : -f1` var2=`echo $var1|cut -d " " -f1` (Here i want add +1 to the output value) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh arithmetic not producing the expected value

My original post did not show up properly. I am trying again. I have a simple tsch script that does some basic arithmetic. The calculated value was not producing the result I was expecting. I wrote a sample script to illustrate the things that I tried. #!/bin/tcsh @ count = 43 @... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgualandri
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable not being passed

In the bash below the variable date displays in the echo. However when I use it in the for loop it does not. Basically, the user inputs a date then that date is converted to the desired format of (month-day-year, no leading 0). That input is used in the for loop to return every file that matches... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic operation in variable

Hi, Here is the script i try to perform arithmetic operation in two variables . git branch -r | while read brname ; do REV_COMMITS=`git rev-list --count $brname` echo "$brname has $REV_COMMITS" (( TOTAL = TOTAL + REV_COMMITS )) echo "in loop" $TOTAL done echo "total is " $TOTAL ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
3 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)