Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Modification of Two Files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Modification of Two Files Post 302489940 by vgersh99 on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 08:13:16 PM
Old 01-22-2011
look into 'man paste'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Last modification times of files less than 6 months old

How do I get the modification time for files less than 6 months old? (It seems for fles as old or older than this I get to see only the day,month and year. I tried the option -u but it gives me the last accessed time) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abhishek Ghose
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files based on modification date

How to copy files from a location to a directory <YYMM> based on last modification date? This will need to run daily. I want to copy those file for May to 0905 and Jun to 0906. Appreciate your guidance.:) Thanks. -rw-rw-rw- 1 ttusr tgrp 4514 May 29 21:49 AB24279J.lot_a... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive Files over certain modification time

Environment is cygwin on Windows Server 2003 as I could not think how I would achieve this using Windows tools. What I want ot achieve is the following. I have a Directory D:\Data which contains further subfolders and files. I need to move "files" older than 6 months modification time to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the file or files with last modification date

hi. I need help my programing friends :p I need to list all the files with a certain name (for example FileName) by last modification date but only the one with the last date. If there are two files with the same name and same modification date it should print the both. For example in this set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KitFisto
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with sorting files according to modification date

Hi, I was very surprised to not be able to find an answer to this question despite my best efforts in Google and elsewhere. Maybe it's a good thing as it forced me to finally become a member in this great forum that i use frequently. Ok my question: I want to be able to sort files inside a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stavros
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename old files with last modification date

Hi everyone, I have files like file1_Mod.txt, file2_Mod.txt. I want to rename the old files with the last modification date. I write the below script to rename with current date, but I donīt know how to use "date -r" to get the last modification date with the same format I have below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the files in 2 different servers for change or modification

I have the following requirement; I need to compare set of files in 2 different servers A and B. Both have same sets of files and directory structure First I need to move the files from Server A to server B Compare the corresponding file in B server and see if it has modified (not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vskr72
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ls ignoring files from their modification time

Hi everyone, I'd like to know if is there a way to list files but ignoring some according to their modification time (or creation, access time, etc.) with the command 'ls' alone. I know the option -I exist, but it seems to only looking in the file name.. Thank you in advance for the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keyhaku
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modification of MySQLDump-files before compression needed

Hi @all! In my MySQL-backup-script I backup and compress every single table with this command: /usr/bin/mysqldump --opt database_x table_y | /usr/bin/pbzip2 -c > "/media/BackUpDrive/Backup/table_x.gz"Unfortunately these files need modification - they have to start with the following line(s):... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogo555
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and move multiple files by modification date

Hi I have a problem, I have a large group of archive files in a folder some are later versions of the same archive, the only difference btween them is that the archiving program we use appends the name with a code for it to keep track of in its data base, and the modification date. I am starting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
6 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)