Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting declaring a variabale as string type Post 302489898 by maitree on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 10:11:41 AM
Old 01-22-2011
declaring a variabale as string type

I know that directly we can assign a string to a variable but is there any other way to declare a variable as string type. I am using tcsh shell where I am using a function which would return a value of string type but when I am using return keyword , it is returning only integer value.pls help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Declaring Local Arrays

I have some function function() { fileNamelist=( `find Uploads -name "somePattern" | tr '\n' ' '` ) } but "local fileNamelist" makes it variable. How do I declare fileNameList as a local array in BASH? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String type to date type

Can one string type variable changed into the date type variable. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rinku
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

declaring variable with for $(seq)

Hi guys. i have the following script: 1 #!/bin/bash 2 linkcount=$(grep "/portal" tickets | wc -l) 3 grep "/portal" tickets > links 4 for i in $(seq 1 $linkcount); do 5 echo "BLYAT" 6 let link$i=$(sed -n "$i"p links) 7 echo $ 8 done the problem is, that "let" can`t... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neverhood
1 Replies

4. Programming

Declaring variables

Hey guys im facing a problem in declaring variables. i have a few classes like the one below... #ifndef _FINANCE_H #define _FINANCE_H #include <string> #include <iostream> #include <fstream> #include <stdlib.h> using namespace std ; class readStraitsTimesIndex { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ENV Variabale changes are not retained

ENV varibles set using a script are not retailed once the script execution is done. But if the same ENV variable is set in command line, it is retained. Consider the below case $ cat ti export MDS_CODE_HOME=`pwd` echo $MDS_CODE_HOME rsamadde@pcasvs04 ~/R2ANew $ ti... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PERL: Declaring Array

Is it possible to declare an array in the following way: @tmp = (@f,"String1","String2", "String3",@f); I'm getting the following error message: Array found where operator expected at Program.pl line 181, near "" (Missing semicolon on previous line?) ---------- Post updated at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Declaring arrays in csh

Does anyone know how to declare an array in csh? I don't want to declare any elements in the array because I have a variable that represents the size of the array. For example: the array I want to declare is called sortList and it passes in the variable ARRAYSIZE that stores the value 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: demet8
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of a Grep(Which already has a variable) into a Variabale

Hi All, I have a an array, in which i need to loop through all the variable and check each variable individually for a pattern. For ex #!/bin/ksh set -A FileNames $(</Temp/AllNames) echo "Total array elements :" ${#FileNames } for i in ${FileNames} do # if the "${i} | grep Last"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - String substitution within specified section in ini type file

Hello. I am trying to modify a config file which is in windows *.ini type file. I have found a piece of code here :linux - Edit file in unix using SED - Stack Overflow As I can't make it doing the job , I am trying to find a solution step by step. here a modified sample file : my_sample.ini... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count occurrence of string (based on type) in a column using awk

Hello, I have a table that looks like what is shown below: AA BB CC XY PQ RS AA BB CC XY RS I would like the total counts depending on the set they belong to: if search pattern is in {AA, BB, CC} --> count them as Type1 | wc -l (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)