Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C++ program is crashing on re-assigning const static member variable using an int pointer Post 302489045 by achenle on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 10:10:11 AM
Old 01-19-2011
Because the static constant value is probably in a read-only memory segment.

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Don't do it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Accesing structure member:Error:dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

$ gcc -Wall -Werror struct.c struct.c: In function `main': struct.c:18: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type $ cat struct.c #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> /*Declaration of structure*/ struct human { char *first; char gender; int age; } man,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

int open(const char *pathname, int flags, mode_t mode) doubt...

hello everybody! I want to create a file with permissions for read, write, and execute to everybody using C, so I write this code: #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h> int main(){ int fileDescriptor; fileDescriptor =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csnmgeek
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Assigning a static IP to NICs

Hi, I have checked the net and can't find why I can't ping the server nor can I ping any address inside or outside the network from the server (using serial connection). I can set up DHCP on the server and it gets an address of 192.168.1.118 and everything is fine. I cannot ping anything from... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunfan
10 Replies

4. Red Hat

cast from const void* to unsigned int loses precision

Hello everey one, here i am attempting to compile a c++ project .it's throughing the following errors. my machine details are as follows: Linux chmclozr0119 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux errors: ===== Generating... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
0 Replies

5. Programming

tolower (static pointer + malloc + realloc)

N00B here. This function would be easier using a char pointer along with free. But I wish to learn how to use char static pointers (they do not require free, right ?). How do I erase the content of a static pointer ? Terminating the string works but the static pointer's content is not being... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
4 Replies

6. Programming

C++ type-casting a member variable in const methods

Is it permitted to type-cast a member variable passed in as a parameter in a member const method .. I am doing something like : in a return-type method () const { variable other = long(member variable) } this other assigned variable is not updating and I wonder if type-casting in such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriyer123
1 Replies

7. Programming

Handle int listen(int sockfd, int backlog) in TCP

Hi, from the manual listen(2): listen for connections on socket - Linux man page It has a parameter called backlog and it limits the maximum length of queue of pending list. If I set backlog to 128, is it means no more than 128 packets can be handled by server? If I have three... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
3 Replies

8. Programming

question about int arrays and file pointer arrays

if i declare both but don't input any variables what values will the int array and file pointer array have on default, and if i want to reset any of the elements of both arrays to default, should i just set it to 0 or NULL or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

9. Programming

Why this C program is crashing?

Hi, Why I am getting 'SIGSEGV' in the following code? char* p="abcde"; printf("%s", 3); // Segmentation Fault (core dump) Kindly help me to understand what exactly makes the program to crash or the reason for the crashing. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

10. Programming

Declare member of struct as a pointer in c

I have a uint8_t *C = malloc(24*sizeof(uint8_t)); I need to send some integers and this *C to another node(in ad hoc network). So I am going to use a struct ` struct fulMsg { int msgType; int msgCount; //uint8_t *CC; } fulMsg_t; typedef struct fulMsg fulMsg_tt;` there is a method... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chap
1 Replies
shmop(2)							System Calls Manual							  shmop(2)

Name
       shmop, shmat, shmdt - shared memory operations

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <sys/ipc.h>
       #include <sys/shm.h>

char *shmat (shmid, shmaddr, shmflg)
       int shmid;
       char *shmaddr;
       int shmflg;

int shmdt (shmaddr)
       char *shmaddr;

Description
       The  system  call attaches the shared memory segment associated with the shared memory identifier specified by shmid to the data segment of
       the calling process.  The segment is attached at the address specified by one of the following criteria:

If shmaddr is equal to zero, the segment is attached at the first available address as selected by the system.

If shmaddr is not equal to zero and (shmflg & SHM_RND ) is true, the segment is attached at the address given by (shmaddr- (shmaddr modulus
       SHMLBA )).

If shmaddr is not equal to zero and (shmflg & SHM_RND ) is false, the segment is attached at the address given by shmaddr.

The segment is attached for reading if (shmflg & SHM_RDONLY ) is true. Otherwise, it is attached for reading and writing.

The system call detaches from the calling process's data segment the shared memory segment located at the address specified by shmaddr.

Return Values
       Upon successful completion, the return values are as follows:

o   The system call returns the data segment start address of the attached shared memory segment.

o   The system call returns a value of zero (0).

Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error.

Diagnostics
       The system call fails and not attach the shared memory segment, if any of the following is true:

[EINVAL]       The shmid is not a valid shared memory identifier.

[EACCES]       Operation permission is denied to the calling process.  For further information, see

[ENOMEM]       The available data space is not large enough to accommodate the shared memory segment.

[EINVAL]       The shmaddr is not equal to zero, and the value of (shmaddr- (shmaddr modulus SHMLBA )) is an illegal address.

[EINVAL]       The shmaddr is not equal to zero, (shmflg & SHM_RND ) is false, and the value of shmaddr is an illegal address.

[EMFILE]       The number of shared memory segments attached to the calling process would exceed the system imposed limit.

The fails and does not detach the shared memory segment if:

[EINVAL]       The shmaddr is not the data segment start address of a shared memory segment.

See Also
       execve(2), exit(2), fork(2), shmctl(2), shmget(2)

shmop(2)