Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace text in file using variable Post 302488972 by Toug on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 04:43:04 AM
Old 01-19-2011
Thanks for all, it works fine using # and ".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace text with a variable?

Is there a way that I can make the following work with using variables? perl -pi -e 's#blah#hrm#ig' replacetext but like this var=blah perl -pi -e 's#$var#hrm#ig' replacetext (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doublejz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed , Replace a "variable text" inside of a statement

Please Help... I am trying to manipulte the following line Before : <user:Account_Password>002786</user:Account_Password> the password is the "variable", i need to delete / omit the password in the file, (it occurs several thousand times) so the tag line looks like After:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackn7
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed to replace text with a variable

I'm trying to replace text in a file with text from a variable I have the following in my script, but its not working: #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter the path to load scripts" read x echo "updating the templates" sed "s/CHANGE_ME_TO_LOAD_PATH/"$x"/g" LoadFiles.sh > LoadFiles2.sh I thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orahi001
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace a specific text in text file?

I have a text file with following content (3 lines) filename : output.txt first line:12/12/2008 second line:12/12/2008 third line:Y I would like to know how we can replace 'Y' with 'N' in the 3rd line keeping 1st and 2nd lines same as what it was before. I tried using cat output.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosham
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace text in a file with text entered

I am trying to write a shell script that will allow the typing of a value, then using that value to replace data in a text file. I suspect I need sed. The format of the file is: Variable1:Value1 Variable2:Value2 The interaction would be something like: Shell Prompt: "Please enter the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable names in text file with its value

Hi I have a text file (mytext.txt), the content of which is as following: My name is <@MY_NAME@> and my age is <@MY_AGE@> . Now i have another property file (myprops) which is as following: MY_NAME=abcdefgh MY_AGE=000000 I was wondering, how can i replace the tags of mytext.txt, with its... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigithvg
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace variable string with text

Hi All, Hoping someone can help.... I am trying to work out how I can ammend a log file to remove variable strings in order to remove confidential information which I cant pass on. As an example I have used phone numbers. A large log file contains multiple lines containing something like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to replace a parameter(variable) date value inside a text files daily with current date?

Hello All, we what we call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
1 Replies
bup-newliner(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   bup-newliner(1)

NAME
bup-newliner - make sure progress messages don't overlap with output SYNOPSIS
<any command> 2>&1 | bup newliner DESCRIPTION
bup newliner is run automatically by bup. You shouldn't need it unless you're using it in some other program. Progress messages emitted by bup (and some other tools) are of the form "Message ### content", that is, a status message containing a vari- able-length number, followed by a carriage return character and no newline. If these messages are printed more than once, they overwrite each other, so what the user sees is a single line with a continually-updating number. This works fine until some other message is printed. For example, progress messages are usually printed to stderr, but other program mes- sages might be printed to stdout. If those messages are shorter than the progress message line, the screen will be left with weird looking artifacts as the two messages get mixed together. bup newliner prints extra space characters at the right time to make sure that doesn't happen. If you're running a program that has problems with these artifacts, you can usually fix them by piping its stdout and its stderr through bup newliner. BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-newliner(1)