Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to delete contents in a directory by date Post 302488742 by wempy on Tuesday 18th of January 2011 10:25:55 AM
Old 01-18-2011
on a system with GNU touch and find I use
Code:
touch -d "-5 days" /tmp/5daysago
find /home/dir/ -type f ! -newer /tmp/5daysago -exec rm {} \;

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a perl script (windows) to delete the contents of a file

Hi All, Im having a file named logserver.txt. I want a perl script to take a backup of that file, along with the datestamp; move the file to a different location or empty the contents of the file after backup. Remember, the file gets generated when the related service starts. My condition is... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntgobinath
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux delete script in sub-directory

Under TEMP folder, it have many sub-folder, example"0015,0016,etc" I need to discovery those file which are 2 days ago in this sub-folder , and list out to investigate, at the end delete all file in those sub folder, only keep the emptu directory. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: android
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needs to delete particular date files in a directory

Hi Guys, I need help on deleting particular date files in a directory. I have to delete thousands of files with respect to particular date. Could anyone help on this to delete particular date files at a time? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: teddy2882
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that displays contents of a directory

Hello all! I am writing a script that takes in a directory name as input and if the directory exists, it shows the files inside the directory here is what I have so far (incomplete) (mostly like pseudocode) #/bin/sh echo Please enter the name of a directory read dir grep $dir... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subway69
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find and replace contents of files in directory

Hi all This is my first post. Please bear with me with all my mistakes. I started learning shell since couple of days now and this might be quite basic for all, i want to search for files in a directory containing specific string and replace it with new string. The code i wrote is quite bulky... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theprogrammer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete directory on date base

Hi, I have below directories Direct 2013-08-12 23123 Direct 2013-08-13 24121 Direct 2013-08-14 34513 Direct 2013-08-31 15435 ........... Direct 2013-09-12 53145 Direct 2013-09-30 65234 Direct 2013-09-30 89642 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to delete specify directory

I have the following directories under "0.0.0.0" /scratch/builds/snapshotBuilds/0.0.0.0 drwxr-xr-x+ tested-571 drwxr-xr-x+ tested-576 drwxr-xr-x+ tested-597 drwxr-xr-x+ 600 drwxr-xr-x+ 601 drwxr-xr-x+ 602 drwxr-xr-x+ 603 drwxr-xr-x+ tested-604 drwxr-xr-x+ tested-605... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibad_urs
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies
DH_INSTALL(1)                                                        Debhelper                                                       DH_INSTALL(1)

NAME
dh_install - install files into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_install [-Xitem] [--autodest] [--sourcedir=dir] [debhelperoptions] [file|dir...destdir] DESCRIPTION
dh_install is a debhelper program that handles installing files into package build directories. There are many dh_install* commands that handle installing specific types of files such as documentation, examples, man pages, and so on, and they should be used when possible as they often have extra intelligence for those particular tasks. dh_install, then, is useful for installing everything else, for which no particular intelligence is needed. It is a replacement for the old dh_movefiles command. This program may be used in one of two ways. If you just have a file or two that the upstream Makefile does not install for you, you can run dh_install on them to move them into place. On the other hand, maybe you have a large package that builds multiple binary packages. You can use the upstream Makefile to install it all into debian/tmp, and then use dh_install to copy directories and files from there into the proper package build directories. From debhelper compatibility level 7 on, dh_install will fall back to looking in debian/tmp for files, if it does not find them in the current directory (or wherever you've told it to look using --sourcedir). FILES
debian/package.install List the files to install into each package and the directory they should be installed to. The format is a set of lines, where each line lists a file or files to install, and at the end of the line tells the directory it should be installed in. The name of the files (or directories) to install should be given relative to the current directory, while the installation directory is given relative to the package build directory. You may use wildcards in the names of the files to install. Note that if you list exactly one filename or wildcard-pattern on a line by itself, with no explicit destination, then dh_install will automatically guess the destination to use, the same as if the --autodest option were used. debian/not-installed Used with the deprecated --list-missing and --fail-missing options. Please refer to dh_missing(1) for the documentation of this file. OPTIONS
--list-missing Deprecated: Please use dh_missing --list-missing instead. If you use this option, dh_install will call dh_missing with that option after it has processed all the files. Please see dh_missing(1) for the documentation of this option. This option is removed in compat 12. --fail-missing Deprecated: Please use dh_missing --fail-missing instead. If you use this option, dh_install will call dh_missing with that option after it has processed all the files. Please see dh_missing(1) for the documentation of this option. This option is removed in compat 12. --sourcedir=dir Look in the specified directory for files to be installed. Note that this is not the same as the --sourcedirectory option used by the dh_auto_* commands. You rarely need to use this option, since dh_install automatically looks for files in debian/tmp in debhelper compatibility level 7 and above. --autodest Guess as the destination directory to install things to. If this is specified, you should not list destination directories in debian/package.install files or on the command line. Instead, dh_install will guess as follows: Strip off debian/tmp (or the sourcedir if one is given) from the front of the filename, if it is present, and install into the dirname of the filename. So if the filename is debian/tmp/usr/bin, then that directory will be copied to debian/package/usr/. If the filename is debian/tmp/etc/passwd, it will be copied to debian/package/etc/. file|dir ... destdir Lists files (or directories) to install and where to install them to. The files will be installed into the first package dh_install acts on. LIMITATIONS
dh_install cannot rename files or directories, it can only install them with the names they already have into wherever you want in the package build tree. However, renaming can be achieved by using dh-exec with compatibility level 9 or later. An example debian/package.install file using dh- exec could look like: #!/usr/bin/dh-exec debian/default.conf => /etc/my-package/start.conf Please remember the following three things: o The package must be using compatibility level 9 or later (see debhelper(7)) o The package will need a build-dependency on dh-exec. o The install file must be marked as executable. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALL(1)