Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Export command in unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Export command in unix Post 302488575 by m.d.ludwig on Monday 17th of January 2011 06:53:47 PM
Old 01-17-2011
Yes, there is a problem using the back-quote, aka `. The contents of the string enclosed in the back-quotes are invoked as a command, and the command's output replaces the back-quoted string. For example:
Code:
file `which ls`

is expanded into:
Code:
file /bin/ls

You need to use single-quotes: '

Look at the bash or ksh manual pages for more information about quoting and command line expansion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using export command

I saw a unix shell script in which export command is used like this : export filename what is a file exported for ? thanks srini (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

export command

Is there any difference between these 2 commands :- export var="a" and var="a" export var (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX export command - memory space

Hello, I have 2 or more environment files, with identical variable names; see below: .env_file1 export PROJNAME="XYZ" export PROJID="2" .env_file2 export PROJNAME="WSX" export PROJID="9" .env_file(n) export PROJNAME="QAZ" export PROJID="12" The env files above will be sourced... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Export command

Hi all, Want to know what does export command do?? What is its functionality? And on a shell prompt $at=1 $ echo $at 1 The variable above is it available to other script??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.kudreka
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command : Parse parameter file / send the lines to the ksh export command

Sorry for the duplicate thread this one is similar to the one in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/88132-awk-sed-script-read-values-parameter-files.html#post302255121 Since there were no responses on the parent thread since it got resolved partially i thought to open the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export Command

Hello All, I am transferring a file from one server to another server. File name is stored as Wip_DD-MM-YY .i.e if we run the program today the file is stored as Wip_18-FEB-09.txt. This file i need to transfer. My question is how do we assign the this filename to a variable. i treid in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chpraveen_862
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for export command

Hi, I need help for using export command. Lets consider there are 2 servers ie. A & B. I am running one script on server A which calls another script on server B using remsh command. There is one variable in the script on server B which do not gets evaluated and ultimately i get the error. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_shah06
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to export a command ?

Hi The command "ssh -V" works as normal user but fails as root. As Normal user: bash-3.00$ ssh -V OpenSSH_5.9p1, OpenSSL 1.0.0e 6 Sep 2011As Root user: # ssh -V bash: ssh: command not found Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frintocf
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

export in unix

hi i have some lines in a text file like, export ORACLE_HOME=/home/dell/instantclient_11_2 export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH} export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME:$ORACLE_HOME/sdk:${PATH} how to run this file such that every line will be exported in unix session (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mprakasheee
3 Replies
MAN(1)							      General Commands Manual							    MAN(1)

NAME
man, lookman - print or find pages of this manual SYNOPSIS
man [ option ... ] [ section ... ] title ... lookman key ... DESCRIPTION
Man locates and prints pages of this manual named title in the specified sections. Title is given in lower case. Each section is a num- ber; pages marked (2S), for example, belong to chapter 2. If no section is specified, pages in all sections are printed. Any name from the NAME section at the top of the page will serve as a title. The options are: -p Run proof(1) on the specified man pages. -t Run troff and send its output to standard output. -n (Default) Print the pages on the standard output using nroff. Lookman prints the names of all manual sections that contain all of the key words given on the command line. FILES
/sys/man/?/* troff source for manual; this page is /sys/man/1/man /sys/man/?/INDEX indices searched to find pages corresponding to titles /sys/lib/man/secindex command to make an index for a given section /sys/lib/man/lookman/index index for lookman SOURCE
/rc/bin/man /rc/bin/lookman SEE ALSO
proof(1) BUGS
The manual was intended to be typeset; some detail is sacrificed on text terminals. There is no automatic mechanism to keep the indices up to date. Except for special cases, it doesn't recognize things that should be run through tbl and/or eqn. MAN(1)