Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Re-assign variable's value through which FOR LOOP loops Post 302488471 by dips_ag on Monday 17th of January 2011 09:50:19 AM
Old 01-17-2011
Re-assign variable's value through which FOR LOOP loops

Hi,

I've a requirement where I want to re-assign the value in the variable through which FOR LOOP loops.
For e.g.

Code:

Snippet of code
---------------
for i in $var
do 
     echo $i >> $tempFile
     var=`echo $another_var | awk -F" " '{print $1}'`
done

I am re-assigning var so that the second time when the FOR LOOP runs it should take the new value? I'm not sure if this or something similar can be done or not?! Smilie. Please suggest.

-dips

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loops can i loop in hundreds?

I have the following for ((i=100; i<=1000; i++)) do this goes in increments of 1 I need it to go up in increments of 100, how is that done in a for loop? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gazz1982
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to re-assign the variable form the loop?

Good day, everyone! I've got a small problem with re-assigning the variable form the loop. What I'm trying to do is: #!/bin/bash/ VAR1="AAA" VAR2="BBB" VAR3="CCC" for WORD in VAR1 VAR2 VAR3; do $WORD="DDD" echo $WORD done :o That's the output and error messages: -bash:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

4. Fedora

How to read a text file and assign the values in the same to a variable in loop

Hi, I have a text file with multiple lines, each having data in the below format <DOB>,<ADDRESS> I have to write a script which reads each line in the text file in loop, assign the values to these variables and do some further processing in it. Using the following code prints the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manishab00
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read a text file and assign the values in the same to a variable in loop

Hi, I have a text file with multiple lines, each having data in the below format <DOB>,<ADDRESS> I have to write a script which reads each line in the text file in loop, assign the values to these variables and do some further processing in it. Using the following code prints the values... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishab00
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign variable name through loop

Hi As bash does not support multidimensional arrays (?), I need some help with a problem. What I want to do is to assign variable names containing a counter in a loop . what I want to do is basically something like this: #!/bin/bash for i in {1..8}; do var$i = "some command" done... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tobbev
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do While Loop + Read From File + assign line to a variable

Hello, I am using below code for reading from a file and assigning the values to a variable , but it is loosing the value after the loop , please suggest to retain the value of the variable after the loop , while IFS=: read -r line do set $dsc=$line echo 'printing line variable ' $line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ParthThakkar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Values to a Variable in While Loop and Update the File

Hello, Could anyone please help me with Assigning a value to variable and then updating the value in the original file IFS='|' while read -r Serial_ID JOB_NAME STATUS do if then echo "Perform Fuctions" ???Assign STATUS to COMPLETED and Update File??? done <File (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I assign the output of a command to a variable within a loop in bash?

In the else of the main if condition . else set lnk = $(readlink -f <path> | cut -d '/' -f7) echo "$lnk" if ] When I run the above on command line , the execution seems to be fine and I get the desired output. But when I try to assign it to a variable within a loop... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
12 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] ksh93 +break [n] +continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this manual page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ksh93 break is a shell special built-in that exits the smallest enclosing for, select, while, or until loop. It also exits the nth enclosing loop if n is specified. Execution continues at the command following the loop or loops. If n is specified, it must be a positive integer >=1. If n is larger than the number of enclosing loops, the last enclosing loop is exited. continue is a shell special built-in that continues execution at the top of the smallest enclosing for, select, while, or until loop, if any; or of the top of the nth enclosing loop if n is specified. If n is specified, it must be a positive integer >=1. If n is larger than the number of enclosing loops, the last enclosing loop is used. On this manual page, ksh93(1) commands that are preceded by one or two + symbols are special built-in commands and are treated the follow- ing ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Built-in commands are not valid function names. 5. Words following a command preceded by ++ that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and field splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 8 Apr 2008 break(1)