Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Context Sensitive smallcap => TitleCap conversion in an entire text file Post 302488362 by monkeyman on Monday 17th of January 2011 01:00:37 AM
Old 01-17-2011
Thank you for your help friends.

I am dealing here wih Directories of my music library. All the directories are already named in the correct format (they are Title Case). What I am acutally trying to modify is not the directories themselves but multiple m3u playlists written by a windows program where case is irrelivant in address where the directories are listed in lower case.

Usually modifying the case of text can be accomplished in any word processor but the tricky part is that although directories are in Title Case on the hard drive, the actual mp3 files they contain are in lower case. So when altering my playlists, the directories need to be listed in Title Case whereas the mp3s need to remain unchanged (in lower case). I have thousands of lines to modify so, I'm trying to see if there is a script that can do this without having me go at it one by one.

I use an american charset on my Linux. I am on Kubuntu 10.04 running KDE. I'm using Bash (the console program itself is called Konsole). I altering an m3u text file writen by an american windows based program called DoubleTwist and this is part of my effort to leave this program and migrate all my music data to SongBird. I hope to make a tutorial for other people wanting to leave this program as well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ISAM FILE CONVERSION TO TEXT

I am having a problem. There is one ISAM file available in SCO UNIX environment. I want to convert it to simple comma delimited text file. Actual problem is with the size of the file. For the time being, size is 1.3 GB and I have to grab the subset of the data after every five minutes e.g. in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a.waqar
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary data to text file conversion

Dear Sir; i want to know how the binary data convert to text file or readablw format (ASCII).If possible pl. help me for the software and where it is available for download. i.e. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: auro123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces from first field, and write entire contents into other text file

Hi all, I have searched and found various threads about removing spaces from a field within a text file. Unfortunately, I have not found exactly what I'm looking for, nor am I adept enough to modify what I've found into what I need. I use the following command to remove the first line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carriehoff
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose an entire text file

Hello all, I want to transpose the rows of a file to the columns (every characters include spaces), i.e.: input: abcdefg 123 456 output: a1 b2 c3 d e4 f5 g6 I wrote a script: #!/bin/csh -f (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: heavenfish
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell or perl script needed for ldif file to text file conversion

This is the ldf file dn: sdcsmsisdn=1000000049,sdcsDatabase=subscriberCache,dc=example,dc=com objectClass: sdcsSubscriber objectClass: top postalCode: 29600 sdcsServiceLevel: 10 sdcsCustomerType: 14 givenName: Adelia sdcsBlackListAll: FALSE sdcsOwnerType: T-Mobile sn: Actionteam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxFriend
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of spaces Text file into CSV format file

Input file (each line is separaed by spaces )given below: Name Domain Contact Phone Email Location ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------ ------- -----... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of a text file to html

hi i hav a file called focus. which is the output file. i want to convert this file to html file and mail it. help with code and explanatio. i am basic in unix (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wasim999
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HTML Conversion of text file

Hi, I have following text file. I want to convert it into the below HTML format. Kindly help. Input Text File Header 1 ======= Name:*** Age:*** Address:*** Work Phone:*** Email:*** Mobile:*** Country:*** City:*** Pincode:*** some text here **** (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fill csv entire column with content from another text file

I have a csv that looks like this: ,yude-to-nap2,0,0,0,0,0 ,2twis-yude-to-nap2,0,0,0,0,0 ,2tiws-yude-to-nap2,0,0,0,0,0 ,2arcos-yude-to-nap2,0,0,0,0,0 and another file named m1 that has a single line of text as content: Feb 1 15:30:20 How can I fill the whole the empty column of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RobertoRivera
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print text between 2 strings for the entire file

hey guys, for the following output: starting open open close close starting close starting open close close starting open open close open (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
2 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)