Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using current line in a command in AWK Post 302488310 by m.d.ludwig on Sunday 16th of January 2011 03:37:37 PM
Old 01-16-2011
As per the awk manpage:
OPTIONS
Gawk accepts the following options:
-v var=val
--assign var=val
Assign the value val to the variable var, before execution of the program begins. Such variable values are available to the BEGIN block of an AWK program.
For example:
Code:
trogdor $ awk -vVAR=uservalue 'BEGIN {print VAR;}' /dev/null

will print to stdout:
Code:
uservalue

Note that:
Code:
trogdor $ awk 'BEGIN {print VAR;}' VAR=anothervalue /dev/null

will print to stdout:
Code:
(an empty line)

(I could not get an empty line to show up in a code block), as VAR has not yet been assigned.
However:
Code:
trogdor $ echo | awk '{print VAR;}' VAR=anotheruservalue

will print to stdout:
Code:
anotheruservalue

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk and current date command

I am running a command to extract data from a database which has different text and dates (ex. 01/03/07, 05/29/08, 06/05/08). Once the file is created I need to grep for all the text with a current date then redirect the sorted data to another file then email the file out. Here is what I have right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wereyou
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print the next line on the current line

Ok I have a file with hundreds of lines, four columns, space delimited, TESTB.TXT for example TESTB.TXT --- AA ZZ 12 34 BB YY 56 78 CC XX 91 23 DD VV 45 67 --- I want a new file that has 7 columns, the first four are identical, and the next 3 are the last three of the next line...so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi Editor - How to paste the line concatenated with current line

I generally use yy to copy a line and then p to paste the line at end of current line. But is there a way to paste the copied line in concatenation with the current line with out going to next line. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk to print data from current and previous line

Hi guys, I have found your forum super useful. However, right now I am stuck on a seemingly "simple" thing in AWK. I have two columns of data, the first column in Age (in million years) and the second column is Convergence Rate (in mm/yr). I am trying to process my data so I can use it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_noob_456
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Comparing Parenthesized Values In Previous Line To Current Line

I am trying to delete lines in archived Apache httpd logs Each line has the pattern: <ip-address> - - <date-time> <document-request-URL> <http-response> <size-of-req'd-doc> <referring-document-URL> This pattern is shown in the example of 6 lines from the log in the code box below. These 6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Proteomist
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk field to a command line executed within awk

Hi, I am trying to pass awk field to a command line executed within awk (need to convert a timestamp into formatted date). All my attempts failed this far. Here's an example. It works fine with timestamp hard-codded into the command echo "1381653229 something" |awk 'BEGIN{cmd="date -d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxer
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Next line with current Line bassed on condition

Hi, I have an XML file and I am tring to extract some data form it, after lot of data cleaning process, I ended up with an issue, and need your urgent support. my current input data in below format: <Node>xxxxxx <Node>yyyyy</Node> <Node>zzzzzz <Node>12345</node> I need... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Column Value Of Next Line Into Current Line

Hello All, I am looking for help to achieve the following: Here is the data set 1757890237|42|55570025|1468796400|0 1757890237|32|55570025|1471474800|0 1757890237|54|55570025|1474153200|1476745200 1757890237|34|55570026|1468796400|0 1757890237|44|55570026|1471474800|0... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
7 Replies

10. HP-UX

awk command in hp UNIX subtract 30 days automatically from current date without date illegal option

current date command runs well awk -v t="$(date +%Y-%m-%d)" -F "'" '$1 < t' myname.dat subtract 30 days fails awk -v t="$(date --date="-30days" +%Y-%m-%d)" -F "'" '$1 < t' myname.dat awk command in hp unix subtract 30 days automatically from current date without date illegal option error... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmarcus
20 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)