Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to rename file based on name in same file Post 302487972 by BRH on Friday 14th of January 2011 10:01:13 AM
Old 01-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by citaylor
The files have been transferred from a Windows/DOS system and have carriage returns on the end of each line ?
Bingo! Thanks a lot citaylor. I thought that all the ^M had already been removed.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename file based on first 3 characters of data in file

I'm looking to determine if I can use a grep command to read file and rename the file based on the first 3 characters of the data in the file. An example is: Read FileA If the first 3 positions of the data in the file are "ITP", then rename the file as FileA_ITP, else if the first 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jchappel
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename File Based on Created Date

I am trying to rename files based on the created/born date of the file. I Have a total of 4000 files that i am trying to do this with and would like it to be log_yyyymmddhh.gz right now the files are maillog.???.gz. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to get this done via scipt? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paulb
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename folder based on containing XML file

Hi everyone. I'm in need of a solution where i need to rename a folder to a name that's inside an XML file in that folder. OS is Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome. I've tried using grep, sed and xpath, but can't seem to find a solution. This is the simplified folder structure: FOLDER-NAME -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CoolCow
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename portion of file based on another file

Hello, I've been searching and reading, but I can't figure out how to solve this problem with my newbie skills. In my directory, I have a list of files (see dirlist.txt attachment) that I need to merge and rename. I have part of the code of the code figured out (see below). However, I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjulka
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a file based on a specific separator

Hello, I am new to shell I have a folder which contains a list of files, all the files contain the separator : I need to replace this character for all the filenames (by batch) ex: hello:world should become hello-world please help Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sikilaklak
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove or rename based on contents of file

I am trying to use the two files shown below to either remove or rename contents in one of those files. If in file1.txt $5 matches $5 of file2.txt and the value in $1 of file1.txt is not "No Match" then that value is substituted for all values in $5 and $1 of file2.txt. If however in $1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files based on name in text file

Hello, I have a text file "file.list" with the contents below. file1 filename1 file2 filename2 file3 filename3 file1, file2 and file3 are files existing in the same directory as the text file file.list. I want to rename file1 to filename1, file2 to filename2, as show in the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james2009
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename files based on simple text file

Hello! New here although not completely new to Unix. I wonder how I could rename files based on the data found in a simple textfile. It goes like this: I have 4 files 1 ldfgkkfjslkdfjsldkfjsf.wav 2 nndsdflksdjf.wav 3 sdflksjdf jjsdflsdfl.wav 4 dkadsdddd.wav Textfile.txt looks like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oortone
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file

In the below bash I am trying to copy the only text file (always only one) in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/list/QC/metrics.txt and rename each of the 3 text files according to /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/list.txt using lines 3, 4 ,5. This format (that is list.txt) is always 5 lines. Thank you :). ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is it possible to rename fasta headers based on its position specified in another file?

I have 5 sequences in a fasta file namely gene1.fasta as follows, gene1.fasta >1256 ATGTAGC >GEP TAGAG >GTY578 ATGCATA >67_iga ATGCTGA >90_ld ATGCTG I need to rename the gene1.fasta file based on the sequence position specified in list.txt as follows, list.txt position1=org5... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
5 Replies
FLIP(1) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FLIP(1)

NAME
flip, toms, toix - do newline conversions between **IX and MS-DOS SYNOPSIS
flip -h flip [ -umvtsbz] file ... flip [ -umvtsbz] - toix [ -vtsbz] file ... toms [ -vtsbz] file ... DESCRIPTION
flip is a file interchange program that converts text file formats between **ix and MS-DOS. It converts lines ending with carriage-return (CR) and linefeed (LF) to lines ending with just linefeed, or vice versa. If the special argument "-" is given, input is read from stdin and written to stdout. flip has the following features: flip will normally refuse to convert binary files. You can override this. When asked to convert a file to the same format that it already has, flip causes no change to the file. Thus to convert all files to **IX format you can type flip -u * and all files will end up right, regardless of whether they were in MS-DOS or in **IX format to begin with. This also works in the opposite direction. If a file contains isolated CR characters for underlining or overprinting, flip does not change them. flip preserves file timestamps. You can override this. flip preserves file permissions. flip is written in C and will compile and run under MS-DOS/Turbo C, 4.3BSD, and System V. flip accepts wildcards and multiple filenames on the command line. If a user interrupt aborts flip, it does not leave behind any garbage files or cause corruption of the files being converted. When converting from MS-DOS to **IX format, flip removes any trailing control Z (the last character in the file), but leaves embed- ded control Z characters unchanged. This minimizes the possibility of accidentally converting a binary file that contains a control Z near the beginning. You can override this and ask flip to recognize the first control Z found as end-of-file. flip can be asked to strip the high (parity) bit as it converts a file. flip is normally invoked as: flip -umhvtb file ... One of -u, -m, or -h is required. Switches may be given separately or combined together after a dash. For example, the three command lines given below are equivalent: flip -uvt *.c flip -u -v -t *.c flip -u -vt *.c On systems that allow a program to know its own name, flip may be renamed (or linked) to a file called toix for conversion to **IX format, or to a file called toms for conversion to MS-DOS format. When invoked with the name toix or toms, flip will act as if it were invoked with the -u or -m option respectively. OPTIONS
-u Convert to **IX format (CR LF => LF, lone CR or LF unchanged, trailing control Z removed, embedded control Z unchanged). -m Convert to MS-DOS format (lone LF => CR LF, lone CR unchanged). -h Give a help message. -v Be verbose, print filenames as they are processed. -t Touch files (don't preserve timestamps). -s Strip high bit. -b Convert binary files too (else binary files are left unchanged). -z Truncate file at first control Z encountered. AUTHOR
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1), dos2unix(1). Linux 2.0 July 20, 2002 FLIP(1)