Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with Scripting - trying to search for string and extract next few characters Post 302487638 by ghostdog74 on Thursday 13th of January 2011 05:03:24 AM
Old 01-13-2011
Code:
awk  '{o=$3;gsub(/.*:/,"",o); $2="Newvalue:"o" "$2}1' file

Last edited by ghostdog74; 01-13-2011 at 06:13 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string between two different characters

I want to extract a string from a line in a text file between two different characters: for example: :string" I want to extract string. It has to be done in a one-liner. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract upper case characters from a string

Hi Friends, I have a script which returns me the following values line by line ora_smon_RCAT102 oracleKHP102B (DESC oraclePROOIDDB92 (DES oraclePMS (DESCRIP oracleBRIO (LOCAL=N oracleBRIO (LOCAL=N oraclePRDB92 (DES oracleBRIO (LOCAL=N oracleBRIO (LOCAL=N oraclePMS (DESCRIP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: orakhan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a String for characters - or +

How would I accomplish this if I want to test to see if it 1) starts with a dash so something like "-R" AND 2) starts with 1 character then either a "-" or "+" and then up to 3 characters such as "a+rx" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkjp2011
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string between 2 special characters

Hi, I have a unix file with contents as below Line1: ABC MNN X$$QWERTY$$ JKL Line2: HELLO $$HOW$$ ARE $$YOU$$ DOING i want to extract the string between $$ and $$ ie i want the output as QWERTY HOW YOU i want those strings seperated by some character say | desired output is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinredmac
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search String and extract few lines under the searched string

Need Assistance in shell programming... I have a huge file which has multiple stations and i wanted to search particular station and extract few lines from it and the rest is not needed Bold letters are the stations . The whole file has multiple stations . Below example i wanted to search... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Search for a string and to extract the string from the text

Hi Team I have an huge xml where i need to search for a ceratin numbers. For example 2014-05-06 15:15:41,498 INFO WebContainer : 10 CommonServicesLogs - CleansingTriggerService.invokeCleansingService Entered PUBSUB NOTIFY MESSAGE () - <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kannannair
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract string between two special characters

Hi, I have a file that looks something like >1-18*anc... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu429
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract characters between two search words in a script!!

Hi, I have a log file which is the output from a xml script : <?xml version="1.0" ?> <!DOCTYPE svc_result SYSTEM "MLP_SVC_RESULT_320.DTD"> <svc_result ver="3.2.0"> <slia ver="3.0.0"> <pos> <msid type="MSISDN" enc="ASC">8093078040</msid> <poserr> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunstarz
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract characters from a string name

Hi All, I am trying to extract only characters from a string value eg: abcdedg1234.cnf How can I extract only characters abcdedg and assign to a variable. Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)