Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in formatting text extracted from DB Post 302487247 by rrb2009 on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 07:59:27 PM
Old 01-11-2011
Help in formatting text extracted from DB

Hi,

I have extracted some data from DB and it has three columns. When i open the file in excel it all comes just only in one column. I want all the 3 columns to come in A, B, C columns. Could some one please help me with that on how to do the same ?

Regards,

RR

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting text

Hi, I am having a file containing entries like: .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysName.0 .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysLocation.0 .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysServices.0 .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysORLastChange.0... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text Formatting

I have a file like this with 1 lac lines. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 I would like to format the above text file 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

text formatting

Hi, any idea input: mr.smith stvenson: /address #/tel no/ personal data profile. mrs.smith stevenson: /address #/tel no/occupation/ personal data profile. output: mr.smith stvenson address #: tel no: personal data profile. mrs.smith stevenson address #: tel no: occupation:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting TEXT

Hello, I have the following lines in a text file: /var/spool/postfix/defer/1/15C86B0547C /var/spool/postfix/defer/1/19AD1B054A2 /var/spool/postfix/defer/2/25A16B05493 /var/spool/postfix/defer/6/626FBB05496 /var/spool/postfix/defer/6/634D4B0544A /var/spool/postfix/defer/6/6A8ACB05499... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formatting

I have an input file as below. 1 Sanjib Gayen 2 Chetan Jadhav 3 Vijaykumar Uddi 4 Pinaki Sarkar I want to generate an output file as below. 1-Sanjib Gayen 2-Chetan Jadhav (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: R0H0N
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formatting

A folder is having n number of files each file is having column names in it .Hence using below code . for file in /xxx/sss/* do filename=$( basename $file ) sed -e '1,2d; $d; /^*$/d; /selected\.$/d' ${file} | \ sed -e '1s/^/INSERT INTO '${filename}' VALUES (/; $!s/$/,/; $s/$/);/'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Text formatting

I am generating the o/p as: BLANSWER 112747 112747 TBLQSTN 983 692 INITIATIVE 35 35 PAIGN 3122 3538 IGNCONTACT 90136 93534 IGNGROUP 27 27 AIGNSTEP 16899 20437 AIGNTYPE ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formatting help

I have bunch of files with data's like below. archive.log.0104 ar0104_akl ar0731_rln ar0731_rsl M70148I need to compile all those files into a single file(.xls file) in the below format. 1st row is file name - should come in 1st column in excel In 2 - 4 row, all entries starts with... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth_123
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Me with the formatting of text

Hi, I am new to this forum; I need a help for my scripting problem. I have made a script in Unix which is extracting a report but the issue is that report is not in a proper format. Original Report Ex: Field 1....................... a b c d e f g Field 2............. @ID.@ID Field... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tush
4 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Text formatting

I know I've been away from the forums for past couple of months. But I am back now : ) I used to hit ctrl+B and ctrl+I after selecting the text to make text bold or italic respectively. (Pressing the keys would add and tags etc) However, that is not working anymore. Did I miss something? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: clx
13 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. Column exits 0 on success, >0 if an error occurred. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS The environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the size of the screen if no other information is available. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. AVAILABILITY
The column command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD