Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sh: Detect key (CTRL/SHIFT/CAPS LOCK) state? Post 302486631 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 9th of January 2011 08:35:05 PM
Old 01-09-2011
You could try test -t to determine if stdin is a terminal (helps to identify if you running from cron (or piping input):

Code:
 if [ -t 0 ]
then
      echo "Stdin is a terminal
fi

You could add a command line option to the script to prompt from data (or not), eg -b flag for batch mode.

If you really want to read the keystate under and you're using X11 you can use the xset -q command to query a number of things, including the keyboard LED mask. This is pretty hardware/system dependant and will probably not work over ssh connections, with character terminals or windows vt* terminal emulators, etc.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disabling ctrl-Z key inside shell script

Hi I have tried to disable the CTRL-Z key inside a shell(sh) script using the command trap "`echo "Ctrl-Z key disabled"`" 20But I am not able to exit from the script after pressing CTRL-Z key. How to proceed this? Need reply soon (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: suganthic
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete ctrl key values in a given string?

Hi all, My query is... in the runtime, you are getting any input string. Unfortunately, you have pressed some ctrl keys or esc keys or arrow keys while typing input string. You can get the input value like that... input string as welcome^ So ,I want to remove those unwanted keys... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan_mca
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Caps lock dtterm

Hello, We are having a problem with running dtterm off a RHEL server. Logging into an HP-UX server from a RHEL 5.1 desktop, setting DISPLAY and running dtterm, the caps lock does not work. We have been playing with xmodmap & stty but to no avail. Any help appreciated. mgb (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgb
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Caps lock dtterm

Hello, We are having a problem with running dtterm off a RHEL server. Logging into an HP-UX server from a RHEL 5.1 desktop, setting DISPLAY and running dtterm, the caps lock does not work. We have been playing with xmodmap & stty but to no avail. Any help appreciated. mgb (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgb
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to issue ctrl+D and enter key

My problem is that i have to connect Linux server. I can connect it with SSH but because of the software of the Linux server, i need to press enter and after ctrl+D. Therefore, I need to write a script that should press enter and ctrl+D. How can i write it in KSH shell script. HELP ME! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozay
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set Caps and Num lock from within X?

Hello, Not sure if this is the right place to post it but.. I have a requirement to set Caps lock and/or Num lock on and off via a Cron job. Now I have working scripts that do the job, but as soon as X starts up the jobs no longer run (well they appear to, but Caps lock and Num lock do not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: autotuner
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Caps lock problem

hi all this s quite a foolish problem. I seem to hav pressed some keys s.t in unix, my letters are comin in caps and with caps lock on, i am getting lowercase letters. :o Pls help. Also is there any reference or manual where i can check in case such problems arrise? thanx in advance curiosity (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: curiosity
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect key press in cgi shell script?

I want to detect key pressed in my .cgi web page, but it does not work even I found the code in other web site. My code is : #!/bin/sh #================================================= # PATH defination # ================================================... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shuinvy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate all possible word with caps and no caps

With use of sed/awk, how can I print all possible combinations of a word with caps/non-caps. Eg Applying operation on "cap" should generate output as follows. cap CAP Cap cAp caP CAp cAP CaP (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
12 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD