Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read column into hash
Top Forums Programming Read column into hash Post 302486475 by yifangt on Saturday 8th of January 2011 08:37:43 PM
Old 01-08-2011
reply: Read columns into hash!

Thanks a lot!

First, thank you for the regex line for the person's name. That makes much more sense.

Second, what I was thinking is: each time only one item was pushed into the array, why need the anonymous array []?

I am aware of this case is twisty, and need to digest it a little bit more.

Thank you again!

Yifangt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the column and print the values under that column

hi all:b:, how to read the column and print the values under that column ...?? file1 have something like this cat file1 ======= column1, column2,date,column3,column4..... 1, 23 , 12/02/2008,...... 2, 45, 14/05/2008,..... 3, 56, 16/03/2008,..... cat file2 =======... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gemini106
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

could sudo read hash passwords? how?

Hello, user ABC is granted sudo rights to start the application. So upon attempting to start the application, user ABC is required to enter its password. If we wanted to user ABC is create a cron job to start the application, how will user ABC feed in the password in the cron job? I know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv into Hash array?

Hi all experts, May I know how to read a csv file and read the content in a hash in PERL? Currently, I hard-coded and defined it in my code. I wanna know how to make up the %mymap hash thru reading the cfg.txt ==== csv file(cfg.txt): 888,444 999,333 === #!/usr/bin/perl my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinmak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Entire hash list (hash of hashes)

I have a script with dynamic hash of hashes , and I want to print the entire hash (with all other hashes). Itried to do it recursively by checking if the current key is a hash and if yes call the current function again with refference to the sub hash. Most of the printing seems to be OK but in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: reading 2 column data into Hash file

I am trying to read in a 2 column data file into Perl Hash array index. Here is my code. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; my $file = "file_a"; my @line = (); my $index = 0; my %ind_file = (); open(FILE, $file) or die($!); while(<FILE>) { chomp($_); if ($_ eq '') { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subhap
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read CSV column value based on column name

Hi All, I am newbie to Unix I ve got assignment to work in unix can you please help me in this regard There is a sample CSV file "Username", "Password" "John1", "Scot1" "John2", "Scot2" "John3", "Scot3" "John4", "Scot4" If i give the column name as Password and row number as 4 the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnGG
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hash:Can not keep hash data in the same order that it was inserted

Can Someone explain me why even using Tie::IxHash I can not get the output data in the same order that it was inserted? See code below. #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use Tie::IxHash; use strict; tie (my %programs, "Tie::IxHash"); while (my $line = <DATA>) { chomp $line; my(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgfcoimbra
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically parse BibTeX and create hash of hash

Hello gurus, Iam trying to parse following BibTex file (bibliography.bib): @book{Lee2000a, abstract = {Abstract goes here}, author = {Lee, Wenke and Stolfo, Salvatore J}, title = {{Data mining approaches for intrusion detection}}, year = {2000} } @article{Forrest1996, abstract =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read first column and count lines in second column using awk

Hello all, I would like to ask your help here: I've a huge file that has 2 columns. A part of it is: sorted.txt: kss23 rml.67lkj kss23 zhh.6gf kss23 nhd.09.fdd kss23 hp.767.88.89 fl67 nmdsfs.56.df.67 fl67 kk.fgf.98.56.n fl67 bgdgdfg.hjj.879.d fl66 kl..hfh.76.ghg fl66... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padavan
5 Replies
SPLIT(3)								 1								  SPLIT(3)

split - Split string into array by regular expression

SYNOPSIS
array split (string $pattern, string $string, [int $limit = -1]) DESCRIPTION
Splits a $string into array by regular expression. Warning This function has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - Case sensitive regular expression. If you want to split on any of the characters which are considered special by regular expressions, you'll need to escape them first. If you think split(3) (or any other regex function, for that matter) is doing some- thing weird, please read the file regex.7, included in the regex/ subdirectory of the PHP distribution. It's in manpage format, so you'll want to do something along the lines of man /usr/local/src/regex/regex.7 in order to read it. o $string - The input string. o $limit - If $limit is set, the returned array will contain a maximum of $limit elements with the last element containing the whole rest of $string. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array of strings, each of which is a substring of $string formed by splitting it on boundaries formed by the case-sensitive regular expression $pattern. If there are n occurrences of $pattern, the returned array will contain n+1 items. For example, if there is no occurrence of $pattern, an array with only one element will be returned. Of course, this is also true if $string is empty. If an error occurs, split(3) returns FALSE. EXAMPLES
Example #1 split(3) example To split off the first four fields from a line from /etc/passwd: <?php list($user, $pass, $uid, $gid, $extra) = split(":", $passwd_line, 5); ?> Example #2 split(3) example To parse a date which may be delimited with slashes, dots, or hyphens: <?php // Delimiters may be slash, dot, or hyphen $date = "04/30/1973"; list($month, $day, $year) = split('[/.-]', $date); echo "Month: $month; Day: $day; Year: $year<br /> "; ?> NOTES
Note As of PHP 5.3.0, the regex extension is deprecated in favor of the PCRE extension. Calling this function will issue an E_DEPRECATED notice. See the list of differences for help on converting to PCRE. Tip split(3) is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0. preg_split(3) is the suggested alternative to this function. If you don't require the power of regular expressions, it is faster to use explode(3), which doesn't incur the overhead of the regular expression engine. Tip For users looking for a way to emulate Perl's @chars = split('', $str) behaviour, please see the examples for preg_split(3) or str_split(3). SEE ALSO
preg_split(3), spliti(3), str_split(3), explode(3), implode(3), chunk_split(3), wordwrap(3). PHP Documentation Group SPLIT(3)